"Before the battle the Israelites went to Bethel and asked God, "Which tribe should go first to attack the people of Benjamin."
Judges 20:18
Judges 20:18
My Take Aways
Something Old:
I will get knocked down in the battles of life but I need to keep my eyes and heart focused, taking my directions from the Lord.
Something New:
The similarity between Sodom and Gomorrah and the Levites' story.
It is good to know the tabernacle is safe in Bethel.
Something to Do:
Don't give up when I am knocked down. Take it to the Victor!






24 Comments:
I m so excited to share some information I found
A few times Wendy has said that she hoped that she was pronouncing some of the names in our reading correctly. She said this yesterday and it gave me an idea because I know most likely we all have trouble pronouncing some of the names at times. I know I do. I did a Google search on How to pronounce Bible names, I love Google now that I know how to use it, and found a wonderful website. It's called Bible Basics. It's a very organized website and very easy to use. With me being blind the easier to understand the website's layout the better. This website gives you a verbal pronunciation of the word. It also has other Bible tools and information.
http://netministries.org/BBasics/bbasics.html
Good Morning, Everyone! Wendy, what a beautiful message this morning! I am sure you have opened today's reading to many of us that struggled to see the wonderful message!
The thing that stuck out for me in Judges 21:25: In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.
I pray we keep our eyes focused on the Lord and His direction! You added beautifully to my takeaway and His word brought great joy AGAIN this morning! I wonder if I will ever stopped being amazed! WOW!
As far as the Joshua Challenge, I have remained in mine as well! I gave up all desserts, sweets, candies and did not feel right having a Reese's Egg on Easter so am continuing on with my challenge and committment to the Lord but have added a few things that have been pressing on me lately.
I have commited to reading John 14 through John 17 each morning. Which is part of Oct 30 and all of Oct 31 in our Chronological Bibles and the wordings of those chapters just spoke to me so clearly on Easter Sunday. So for 40 days, I have recommitted myself to read those chapters each morning and 1 John 3:3 says Everyone who has this hope in Jesus purifies himself, just as Jesus is pure. I put this verse right along with the Chapters in John and the Joshua 3:5 Purify yourselves for tomorrow the Lord will do great wonders among us and the Words became alive for me! We are pure because of the hope we all have in Jesus! Praise the Lord!
I pray everyone has a blessed day and our eyes are open to the wonders of the Lord that He is doing among us!
In Him,
Bethany-OH
here are some wonderful christian books to look for
josh mcdowell "evidence for the resurruection"
josh mcdowell "more thean a carpender"
billy graham "storm warning" may 11(this is an up dated version
anne graham lotz "the magnificent obsession" (billy grahams daughter)
ruth graham "fear not God is always there"(book and devotional)billy grahams daughter
great churchs
tampa fla
palma ceia united methodist church
3723 w bay to bay blvd
813-837-1541
alabama
great church
first baptist church of meridianville
175 monroe road
meridianville alabama 33750 (great minister tommy bolan)
Jennifer Renee, I'll definitely be checking out that link!
Wendy, I loved your message! I was wondering personally where these Israelites came from, because they sure don't seem to be the same ones we've been reading about for the past few days!
As for the Joshua challenge ... I did find myself praying that verse right before I went to bed last night, but I won't be continuing with the sacrificial part of it. I am trying to continue to fast from sugar - to continue that small component of the Daniel Fast that I was doing during Lent - and to be much more mindful of what I eat.
The main story today reminded me of Lot, but I was left mostly with questions until the very end. Why did this Levite give up the woman he traveled so far to retrieve? Why did he chop her up and pass her out? What a news service! How influential/wealthy was he that he had that many people willing to carry around body parts for him?
And yet ... as someone said both yesterday and above, these people had no king and did whatever they wanted. Despite their encouraging prayers, it sounds like the Is will be getting their king soon. I'm so happy that we have One and can Know Him! I need to keep my eyes on Him.
We're going to the local museum today to play with some friends, and my daughter's already up and dressed - by herself! Better get movin'!
Have a fabulous Tuesday!
Good morning, GIG's,
My take away today from this difficult reading: God is faithful and oh so patient!
My to do: Strive to be that way, too :)
Jennifer Renee, great tip on the Bible site -- thanks.
Bethany - I have just skimmed John 14-17, and you are going to have company reading that scripture as often as my morning time will allow. Thanks, Sister. I, too, wanted to move beyond my "no candy" Joshua Challenge, so I have decided that WHENEVER troubled thoughts enter my mind, that is a red flag that I am not trusting in Him and His plan for me and my family, and instead I will shift my mind to praying for my "Wendy sisters", as I think of you all.
First "batter up" today, Dixie's daughter, Lt. Laurie, as she heads back to her post. Travel mercies, Lt.
G&P, thank you so much for Courson's commentary yesterday on "dying". It was very meaningful to me.
Peace and gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Hello, gorgeous sister-friend!
Loved your honest devotion today! Thank you! It's challenging me, friend, to get before the Lord and ask Him to reveal areas of disobedience in my life and heart. Oh my.....I am thankful He is gentle and patient and kind.
Hugs to you!
Sharon
Good Morning! Wendy, when you said, "we know the Victor!" This just hit me. I woke up Sunday morning with such joy, that really I've not experienced before on Easter. Immediately, I thought to myself, "He IS RISEN. YES, IN DEED HE IS RISEN!" His tomb is empty! We had watched his suffering and it was reenacted before us, with sound-affects that I will never forget, the night before at church. And, just something about the thought of He is Risen...today, tomorrow, and forever hit me in a new way. It gave me such joy, and for the first time I could see how no matter what pops up in life, we ALWAYS have that joy in our heart, that no one can take away. The fact that He has risen, gives us reason to be joyful daily-no matter what our circumstance. And, then when you said, so simply, We know the Victor! Oh my goodness, this just expanded my joy, sweet Wendy!
Today we read for the 4th time, "all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes"
17:6
18:1
19:1
21:25
This about sums up the people today!
What I love about God, is that always throughout history He has saved a small remnant. Until He comes back there will always be a few of us that are clinging to His Word, living our day to please Him. Waking up each day in anticipation of knowing Him more. Everyone lives to please someone - ourselves, other people, or the Lord.
I also loved the modeling of prayer and fasting that was shown to us today. The fasting process is new to me, and I've joined Brandee and others' on Wed. as we kneel together lifting up our unsaved husbands and praying for protection over our children. It's going to be powerful.
Ya'll~ we can REJOICE that our Savior lives (John 20:15-18). enJOY the day! Hugs, Lori
PS Will post again, as I'm just not through! :)
Hello All from Oklahoma! It has been awhile for me to comment. I finally caught up in my readings yesterday. Just started watching the video yesterday and thankfully for today as I found this reading very difficult to swallow. Praise God for allowing you Wendy to see beyond the injustice and gleen something meaningful from this passage.
My take away: I am grateful for the freedoms as women we have in Christ. We can go freely to the throne - Praise God for that freedom!
Although I am just learning of the Joshua Challenge - I was convicted and finally obeyed a couple of months ago regarding some shows I always watched and new they weren't morally right so I finally stopped watching! Never have missed them!
Have a great day and glad to be back up and running!
Meredith in OK
Good morning all,
Yes Meridith, I too have a hard time with all the violence in the OT! As I was reading about the Levite's wife, I was afraid I knew where it was going, and I didn't want to go there. Couldn't figure out why he cut her up into twelve pieces, until I saw that he was trying to incite everyone to help punish the Bens. There was yet another oath that they made without thinking, and regretted! Just like them, I can act hastily about finding a solution and be willing to do or say anything to follow through. I need to stop and ask the Lord about my choices before I act.
I just posted my Joshua challenge update last night (happy ending). I am still moved to let the Lord guide me, because there remains lots to do to bring harmony to my home. I need the spiritual support. Making choices and getting motivated are my obstacles, but the last few weeks have brought me focus when I prayed about it! I can't stop now!
Blessings,
Jacque
Back again, Oh, I do have so much to say, but space and time are limited…Wendy, Happy Break time! I’m with you sister-just LOVE getting those projects complete! Looking forward to reading your devo.
Jennifer Renee, thank you for your story yesterday. Last night as I was doing some homework for my Beth Moore class, I read a Psalm that made me think of you! Psalm 139:16, “your eyes saw my unformed body” God saw us even when we were not born yet, and it reminded me about how you see some light and shadows, when you should not be able to.
Thank you for the Bible tools info. And, we’ll see if it is “easy for me to use.” Smile!
Grace & Peace, my sister experienced the earthquake too! It was a full front page story here, yesterday! Thank you for mentioning Olivia’s post the day before-as I would have missed it! Olivia, just LOVED what you shared with us!
Runner Mom ~ To add what Michelle said (great idea, by the way!) how about HS sporting events??? I know I would hire you in a second! I do not like taking pictures at my son’s games as I feel I miss everything! So, what happens is I carry my camera in my purse, and that is where it sits! If you were at our HS you’d have a full time job!
Jacque, what you said went along with my thoughts re: words and a woman’s influence in the home. I thought about his all day long yesterday. How powerful our words are. I wrote what you said down, “God can keep working to bring peace and harmony in our home environment through me!” Thank you!
Bethany-You’ve got some more company! Thanks for sharing the verses!!!
Now, about your question, Wendy. For 40 days I did something that proved to be so powerful to me. God in His beautiful way tied it in with a homework lesson-He has such a way about showing us things, even clearer than what we anticipate! I don’t have time or space to share right now, but I hope too, maybe in an open blog. For my Joshua challenge, I gave up computer time in the evenings when both of my boys are home…which is not always! I had a leading from God, that told me clearly I should be careful what I model in front of them. I’m continuing to do this challenge. I stress with my boy’s the importance of face-to-face contacts. We live in such a texting-tech world, that does not foster communication skills. We talk a lot about how important this is. God created us to be in community. It’s a need that we all have, to be around people. I know myself, just from letting go of the computer when my family is all home, even encouraged me to “speak” more to them. To “look” at them more, to “anticipate” their needs. Wendy, thank you for setting us up for this challenge. It was something I knew in my heart that I should not be doing, but, the Spirit coming out of you, led me to go ahead with it!
Okay, out of room...aahh, love you all! Praying for you, too! Hugs, Lori
Wow - I was so excited to find your blog this morning! I have been reading/studying the Bible since January 1st - beginning with the OT.
Low and behold, I am exactly where you are in Judges.
I also have been shocked at the violence in the OT, but have been using the Matthew Henry Commentary, among other references, to help me understand and grasp it all. What a blessing that I can listen to your videos now. I have not read about the Joshua Challenge, but will do that next.
Thank you so much for your teaching and may the Lord give you strength and encouragement in your ministry.
I am a 52 year-old mom of 3, grandma of 2 and I live in Western
NY.
I have to confess, after reading your post today on Proverbs 31 Wendy, I have something that I have to give up, too. I am a perfectionist, and when I missed a few days of reading two weeks ago, I felt like I had failed. So, I gave up.
Please pray for me to give up my "control" factor--I am not in control, God is, and I need to let that portion leave my hands.
I had been reading with my husband and sons, but we have all fallen by the wayside. Tonight, we will read todays message, and even as I type, I can feel a freedom coming. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement, and I look forward to talking to you all again!
Hi Friends
I have been studying along with you all since Jan 1. It's so great to dig into Gods word and have your vlogs Wendy and everyones comments after. It's church everyday!!
Friends I have a big prayer request please. My friend Lori is in the hardest situation for any woman--she is pregnant with a beautiful healthy baby, their 5th, but the baby has implanted on her c-sec scar, which will rupture her uterus as the baby grows and end Lori's life. The drs are telling her that a termination may be indicated, but they will wait to see which direction the baby grows in the next few weeks. Lori's heart is breaking and she is so scared. Please pray for a miracle that both Lori's life and the baby's will be saved. They have prayed for and want this baby so much. Thank you for your prayers.
Nancy
Dear Nancy
I am in tears thinking about the fears of this family. I will hold them in my prayers as they face this difficult waiting period. May the Father of us all hear our prayers for the life of this precious child and its mother Lori, and guide the doctors in their blessed work.
Thank you for sharing this and allowing us to pray with you for your friend.
Jacque
Good morning, GIGs.
Wendy, re the Joshua challenge. I did the same thing! Last night I told myself I can watch the shows I have been fasting from but did not have the desire to do so. I realized I can't have a different standard for me and my children. If I have to tell DS2 to leave the room while I watch reality tv, then maybe I should not be watching it either.
Welcome to our new posters. I see we have another Rhonda in our midst.
Nancy, praying for your friend, Lori. That seems to be a very precarious situation having a baby embedded in that scar. May God be with them.
Jennifer Renee, thanks for the link.
Michelle, thanks for the recommendation on the marriage book yesterday. I did look for it at my local Christian store but did not find it. I will check out amazon later.
So glad we're out of Judges. An old bible teacher mentioned that after reading Judges he feels he needs to shower to get rid of the muck and mire. And it felt like that, didn't it? What happened to the Levite and his concubine was gruesome. It did remind me of what happened to Lot but as Jon Courson pointed out, in this case the Israelites are the ones doing it! That was shocking to me. They have gone so far in "doing what's right in their own eyes" that they have become like those people in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Let me share what Jon Courson said in his commentary:
"[The Israelites] had no king. They were not submitted to authority and every man did right in his own sight (he cited the example of the host who was doing right in his own eyes by putting a higher priority on cultural mores i.e., taking care of a guest at all cost, than protecting his daughter). We hear this yet today. "Every person must determine what is right for him personally," our culture declares. "What's right for me may not be right for you. There are no absolutes." This thinking is absolutely wrong. There ARE absolutes. The entire universe is governed by absolute laws - one of which is gravity. If you defy it and try to bend the rules, you'll find yourself bruised, battered and bloddy. And that's precisely what happened to the people of Israel." (p. 793)
Courson ended his comments on Judges as follows:
"Just as my life becomes chaotic and confused, your life will become bruised and battered unless you acknowldge Jesus as King, and say, "Lord it doesn't matter what is right in my eyes. It only matters what is right according to Your Word."
"And so ends the Book of Judges - with God's people greatly in need of a righteous King, a true Judge and the only Hero who will not only deliver them from their oppressors, but who will save them from the cycle of sin which does not "so easily beset them."
"And Who will that be?
"Good News: He is pictured on the very next page as our Kinsman Redeemer in the person of Boaz - for even in the dark days of the judges, Jesus, the Light of the World, remains close at hand. May He be your King, your Hero, your Redeemer this day and forever." (p. 800)
Have a blessed day, everyone!
Morning all and welcome to the new posters and sisters :)
I agree with so many of you that today's reading was hard, but as we see it is because they did not have a leader, they were doing what seemed right in their own eyes. Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25 tell us that there is a way that seems right to man but in the end it leads to death. We see the same things in our world today. People follow the King of self and not The King, Jesus, and their ways lead to death. I tell you all, there is nothing like going to our local mall on the weekends and seeing the people to know how desperately our culture needs Jesus to come in and take over. It breaks my heart.
I was also drawn to Judges 20:26 where they wept and fasted before the Lord. After they humbled themselves God gave them the victory and as Wendy said, when we get defeated we need to do the same. Lori mentioned our fast that the Lord has placed upon my heart. On Weds some of us are joining together to fast lunch and spend that time in prayer for our reading family and our own families. To pray through our unsaved loved ones list and for our children which are under so much attack right now from the enemy. God will hear ladies if we humble ourselves before Him. I have given up things in my own life as well until my dear husband is saved.
For the Joshua challenge I did as Lori and was not on the computer after my husband got home from work. I was last night but you know, it just did not feel right. I think that time needs to be spent off the computer and more time with him and my son. Even if they are playing together I am not going to spend time on the computer after dinner.
Nancy I am praying. Jennifer, thank you for the link.
You all have a great day!
Brandee, TN
I love reading all of your comments. Thanks for the vlog today Wendy..and your Proverbs 31 devotion today was right on!
I thought the reading about the raping and cutting up the concubine was yucky too...the comment about it now being the Isrealites who had reduced themselves to behaving like the people of Sodom and Gommorah struck a chord with me. Pretty soon even we get immune to the bad behavior around us and we start to join in.
I am so intrigued by your responses about ending our Joshua Challenge...I gave up Facebook for Lent...and became like Barnabas the encourager for our challenge (which I think needs to stay in place forever!)...but when I could go back on Facebook Monday...it didn't feel right either...I have absolutely no desire...it seems like a waste of time. During that time of Lent I became so close to God it was great...I thought about Him all day long and read His word, and came on here and on Brandee's blog...etc...do I want that to end and replace it with Facebook? Not exactly. For now, I am content to keep it as is.
Prayers for Lori and her pregnancy. I believe in an awesome God who WILL take care of this...He wants neither mother or child to die...so I rest in His promise.
Thanks Jen-Renee for that website. Good idea..I know I fumble for pronounciation all the time!
May we send in "Judah" first...and praise Him before we do anything else...and in any circumstance.
Yeah you betcha!
Morgen
Can't imagine why my posts never show up. Here goes again.
Wendy, I have accepted the Joshua challenge, but was late in joining it. To reach my weight loss goal after years of "up and down and up". Much like the Israelites I have vowed to eat healthy and then failed as the Delicacies would tempt me and I'd give in and do my own thing. Felt strongly that the Lord had stressed that if I would obey the program for four months then I would receive the harvest. Needless to say, I always came up short of the four months. Please pray with me that this time will be different. The Lord is my strength and it is for His glory that I desire to keep this Joshua Challenge.
Jesus is my Victor!
Thank all of you for your comments. I am so blessed to be on this journey with all of you.
Blessings to each of you and a BIG HUG. (((())))))
Teeny in NC
Karla
Would it help to hear I missed two Sunday reading in a row and have not made them up.
Don't quit. That is exactly what the enemy wants you to do. God has something for you in our reading this year the enemy does not want you to know...
Nancy- will pray now for our friend. He knew this baby even before time.
Ya'll are the GREATEST!!! I just love you!
Welcome new comers,
Sin upon sin-wow!
Judges 21:2-3-the people sat in God's presence, wept loudly and bitterly for their brothers, the tribe of Benjamin.
M. Henry says everything that grieves us, should bring us to God. He also said that though God was their King, every man would be his own master, as if there was no king.
We know that King David and King Jesus are coming, but the Israelites didn't have the Bible to read ahead.
G & P, you're right-it doesn't matter what is right in my eyes, according to God's Word does matter.
We have a preschool boy coming to our church who was allergic to the sun, a gene disorder. Parents took him to Mayo Clinic and it was gone-
OUR GOD HEALED THIS FELLA!!!!
He now plays outside and inside in light without being covered up. What a testemony! He does wonders!!
Keep praying for your family as the Israelites did. God will do more wonders for us to see.
What a challenge Bethany. God's Word is a seed that will multiply in you.
Love to everyone,
Linda from Ark.
I'm running super late today and had to catch up from yesterday too, so I'm going to be brief.
Meredith!!! Glad you're back, I was beginning to wonder if you were out there :)
The interesting thing I found w/ the Joshua Challenge, which also corresponded with what I gave up for lent (sugar and for the most part alcohol) is that in reintroducing alcohol I fell FLAT on my face and realized that that is probably going to be something I need to continue to give to God. And sugar gave me a headache. And I got gifts for my baptism of chocolate and girl scout samoas (my FAV) and they're just sitting in my kitchen. This is HUGE and I feel God did teach me a lot about my food idols in this time, so I guess I will continue with a challenge, though it may have shifted from the beginning a bit.
Funny how once we remove stuff we don't actually NEED, we realize how insignificant it is in our life. Unlike God and his good words. Amen to these awesome revelations!
REALLY looking forward to Ruth!!
Love you all - enjoy your sunshine it is gray and dismal and gross here in the PNW.
Nancy, praying with faith and praise to our LORD who is knitting this baby in the mothers womb. He has resurrection power to do mighty miracles.
All I could think of as I read today was something my daughter would say as a child, need you. She would say this over and over and over, to get us to come to her wherever she was. She would get louder and louder, need you, Need You, NEED YOU, until we would respond. This is my cry to God when in trouble as it was the Israelites today going into battle. NEED YOU!!!! Oh LORD thank you that you hear and respond to our need you's.
Continuing with our Joshua Challenge also, I view it as a dying to self. Hmm, maybe as one thing in my life is sacrificed and given up I should continue and ask what next LORD and truly continue. Thank you Wendy for inviting us to join you in this challenge.
My daughter made it back to Taylor Unv safe and sound. May the Univ and families who are grieving experience the healing and loving touch of God.
Jennifer Renee, awesome website sista!
Continued prayers for all.
Needing Him 24/7,
Linda in Pa
Now all became clear, many thanks for the help in this question.
You commit an error. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
Post a Comment
Home