As The Insults Turn
Before I starting today's reading, I reread the the last few sentences of chapter 14 just to refresh my mind on Job's frame of mind: not good. He was really mad at God. He just told God that He destroyed people's hope. Reread verses 20-22 again, "

"You always overpower them, and then they pass from the scene. You disfigure them in death and send them away. They never know if their sons grow up in honor or sink to insignificance. They are absorbed in their own pain and grief."

The very next words Job hears are:

"You are supposed to be a wise man, and yet you give us all this foolish talk. You are nothing but a windbag.

A windbag? I had to laugh. The word windbag is is actually in the Good Book. I had to look that up for fun. The word in the English Standard Version is translated east wind. Sometimes I do word research and find the word that I am looking up to have an unexpected meaning, not with east wind. The meaning is not a big mystery. Basically, Eliphaz was telling Job his words were light and empty like the wind. The bigger insult came in the first part of the verse when Eliphaz suggested that Job's talk was foolish. Job has been defending his innocence and has a reputation for being wise and upright but Eliphaz was calling him foolish. Wow. This straight talk is getting serious and very very personal.

Then he hurls an insult straight to Job's heart in verse 5

"Your sins are telling your mouth what to say."

I could not help but think of the Matthew 12:34. Matthew reminds us, "

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."

Because of the sin of Adam and Eve we are born with a sinful nature. Unless we are putting the right things in our heart, the wrong things will come out of our mouth. Ouch! There is lesson is for all of us. What goes in, comes out.

Job hurls insults back at his friends (Have you noticed all the exclamation points that are used? These dialogues are getting loud.) by telling them they are terrible comforters. (16:2) I was convicted again. (The Lord got in business with these two points.) So often, too often, I go to my girlfriends for comfort, instead of to the Great Comforter himself. Most of the time I go to my gal pals under the pretense of "needing comfort or advice" and often end up starring in my own pity party and bashing those whose who put in the terrible state of mind.

I don't know about you but the closer I get to the Lord, the further I realize I have to go. Does that make sense? Whenever I start "feeling good" about myself and my likeness to Christ, (Did you hear any pride in that statement? Whew, I've got a long way to!) the closer I get to the Light, the more I realize the darkness around me.

My pursuit is holiness guys and gals. I want the holiness of God on me, in me, and all over me. I am committed to it.


9 Comments:

Blogger Raylene said...

AMEN! I agree with you...LORD, Change ME!

Alot of what I am hearing is that we should "build up" and "not tear down", how many times does Job say something about them (his friends) being "miserable comforters". Our words have great power to either help or destroy...and also giving thought to where the other person is coming from, easy for them to criticize, especially when it is not happening to them. (Really trying to keep that in mind, where another person is coming from.)

Blessings on your weekend to all the guys and gals out there!:)

Raylene
IA

Blogger Joyful said...

I'm on the pursuit of holiness as well. As much as I hate the conviction that comes when my heart wanders, I love it too...I love that God is convicting my heart, and I love that my sensitivity to His Spirit's prompting is getting quicker. Things that never used to bother me are huge now, and that's good!

I too thought of Matthew 12:34 while reading today's passage. If we want to truly know our heart condition, just listen to what we say.

My attention was drawn to Job's malady and question in Job 17:13, "What if I go to the grave and make my bed in darkness?"

In response I heard God singing this melody of Job's life and mine, Psalm 139. The entire chapter has spoken volumes to me in reply to Job's question, but especially vs 8-10, " if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." God's melody of Job's malady.

God never leaves us or forsakes us. Holding on to that promise today as He is singing over me,
Joy

Blogger Charlene Kidd said...

Wendy,
I agree with the fact that we too often go to others instead of God. I am reminded of something I heard MaryBeth Whalen say once (I think she had quoted it); she said "Don't go to the phone, go to the throne!"
Love ya,
Charlene

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading Job these past couple of days also reminds me of a quote I heard: "We (Christians) shoot our wounded". That is so sadly true. Why do we feel better when someone is worse off than we are? That is a sin I commit that I do not like one bit. Yes God, please help convict and change me. Amen!
Shivering still in Minnesota
Morgen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I've gone through trials I've noticed how everyone seems to disappear. I think they either don't know what to say or do, or they just get weary of helping to carry another's burdens on top of their own. Job's friends intentions were good but not much help. My experience has taught me to make it a point to be there and to hug but not speak until the Spirit prompts.
Have a good weekend!
Cheryl
CA

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree with the need to go to God first for advice and comfort, yet I struggle with this constantly. Why is it so much easier to pick up a phone than to get down on my knees?

I was really struck by Job 15:11,"Is God's comfort too little for you? Is his gentle word not enough?"

Ouch. This really convicted me as I read it and realized this is exactly why I tend to go to others first. I often don't see God's comfort as enough. So much to work on!

I also had a question, "When Job mentions in Job 16:21 that he needs someone 'to mediate between God and me,' was he aware of the promise to Adam and Eve of a coming Savior? Is this what he was referring to?" I would love any answers to this.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Do you realize we have been reading together for three weeks now? How exciting to see what God is doing.

Blogger Joanie Butler said...

Dear Wendy, we all deal with the whole pride thing. Thankfully our God is a God of grace and His patience with us is long-suffering.

I'm right there with you in that my prayer is to be covered, filled and overflowing with Jesus.

"Lord, take away my pride. If necessary strip me down and keep me humble. Without humility I am of no use to your kingdom service. In Jesus name, Amen."

Off to go to the Lord now as I have an event that happened with my son today at school to talk over with Him, before I make any phone calls! (Thanks, Wendy!)

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

I just left something to the effect of your post on Joy's blog this morning! haha How I go to my girls for something only God can give and then I get my feelings hurt...

I also love the prophetic foreshadowing of Job's awareness of his need for a mediator...that is so awesome to me!

Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Blogger December Rose said...

I love Job's response to his friends in 16:5, "I could say the same things if you were in my place. I could spout off criticism and shake my head at you. But if it were me, I would encourage you. I would try to take away your grief."

Some time after my husband died, my cousin was at my house pouring out her pain of being mistreated by a friend. After venting, she looked at me and said, “I don’t know why I’m complaining – it’s nothing like what you’ve been through.” How easy it would have been to expound on that, but I told her, “Pain is pain – you don’t have to lose your husband to feel pain.”

You may say, “That’s not fair… your pain is the loss of your husband; while her pain is simply a misunderstanding with a friend.” Then must we put a scale of 1-10 for sins? Or do we say, “Sin is sin.” Do we ask forgiveness for the large sins, but overlook the small, insignificant ones?

Pain is pain… the loss of a life, a job, a relationship… it hurts, and we grieve. I don’t need to tell you, or the other person, what you did wrong – nor did I need to tell my cousin to quit her whining, at least she still has a husband! At that moment, she was hurting and she needed a friend… “if it were me, I would encourage you. I would try to take away your grief.”

Susan
VA

Post a Comment

Home