Wow. Wow. Wow.
I am about as speechless as Job was. Could you hear the power in the words God spoke? I got holy goose bumps just reading them. I did not get past the first verse before my breath was taken away.
The Lord answered Job from the whirlwind.
Did you notice the word whirlwind? Look back at what Elihu says in chapter 37 about the voice of the Lord. Oh, this is so good!!! I had to do a quick word study of whirlwind. I wanted it so badly to be translated as storm and guess what it means. You got it. Whirlwind is translated as tempest storm. Dictionary.com tells us that tempest means violent windstorm, violent commotion, disturbance. Elihu was dead on. Oh, the Lord caused a commotion all right, a major disturbance.
Did you hear the power God's thunderous voice in verse 38:11 speaking of his authority over the oceans and the shoreline? I can just see Him holding His mighty right hand high in the air saying:
In the commotion God asks Job (if I counted correctly) 56 questions. In response to the this major disturbance Job asks God 1 question. (40:4) How many times in life have you wanted to put your hand over your mouth? Me? Too often.
Wasn't this a great day of reading? I am pumped!! If you have time read this in the Message translation.
Did you hear the power God's thunderous voice in verse 38:11 speaking of his authority over the oceans and the shoreline? I can just see Him holding His mighty right hand high in the air saying:
I said, "Thus far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves my stop!"
In the commotion God asks Job (if I counted correctly) 56 questions. In response to the this major disturbance Job asks God 1 question. (40:4) How many times in life have you wanted to put your hand over your mouth? Me? Too often.
Wasn't this a great day of reading? I am pumped!! If you have time read this in the Message translation.






15 Comments:
I counted the questions too - I landed at 59, but some were hard to tell if they were one question or two!
I also loved the word "whirlwind". Thanks for the additional info - WOW!
My response today was to break out in a chorus of "How Great is Our God". I posted a version of it on my blog with two young people 'singing' it in sign language.
So thankful that to every question I have, the answer is God!
LOVE what you wrote today about the storm, Wendy. I can just picture that powerful scene!! How awesome is our God that the even wind and the waves obey Him.
Blessings,
Wendy
We humans know nothing! We cannot begin to comprehend His glory and power. In our pride and selfishness we like to think we're so smart....right now I'm feeling put in my place right along with Job. We need to be thankful every minute of everyday that God even chooses to call us His own. We fall so short of his awesomeness. Thankfully Jesus does it all to bridge the expansive gap between our Holy God and us.
Wow, wow, wow.
Morgen - MN
I could not wait to get to "The Lord Speaks" part of Job! I was thirsting for it!
And just this morning I read it Psalm 12:6
"And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times."
Aahh...His words are flawless! I love this!
As I am reading the NIV Chrono Bible, my daily readings are a little different than the NLT, but I am following along here. Rejoicing that we are doing this together...and received treasures of Truth from the book of Job...and reached together the end where indeed "The Lord Speaks"!
Keep running the race!
I am loving this walk with you, sisters!
What a month it has been, and what a grand finale we are reading right now!
Wow Wow Wow!, Yes!, Amen! and Thank you God! are peppered among the pages of my Bible throughout these last pages of the book of Job.
As I read today I, like Wendy, got holy goosebumps at 38:11 "Here your proud waves must stop!" It's not just the ocean we are talking about there, I'll wager.
Loved, too, the verses about the wild animals ~ some rich lessons there, as well. Particularly the ostrich 39:17-18 ~ deprived of wisdom and understanding, but protected by her Creator.
Enjoy a blessed and wonder-full weekend!
Liz
Alaska
Thank you Wendy for your additional information on the whirlwind. How cool.
I have had this chapter of Job marked in my Bible for some time now with the words, "How humbling."
Today, I added additional words next to it, "For reading when understanding does not come."
What reassurance we have in God's words. He truly is in control of all things and who are we to try to understand. We must just trust!
Thankyou for the bible gateway wow is right added to my favorites. Now I am praying my husband will not lose faith and understand that he can all things through God.That he will find a job. Amen ladies have a wonderful weekend. Tina Robinson
I love it when God speaks! In summary God was saying, I am God and beside me there is none other!
After reading this I begin to sing:
My God is an Awesome God, he reigns from heaven above, with wisdom, power and love, My God is an Awesome God!!!!
This is definite a WOW moment.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Debbie - North Carolina
Wendy,
I have so enjoyed this study. Whirlwind, I never gave it the full meaning. I can just picture this "whirlwind". Powerful word pictures my friend.
You gals have a great weekend. Please pray for me, I am just having tough times right now. But I am looking up and know He is able.
Diane
Dear Jesus
We collectively lift our hearts together with love for our friend Diane. You are the healer of the broken hearted-this was your purpose for coming to earth.
Will you wrap your love around her and fill her from the top of head to the tips of her toes with your peace?
Keep her close to your heart as she seeks to hide in shelter of your love, protection, and peace.
In the name of Jesus I ask this,Amen
Although I may never understand the why, some people say, "You can ask God when you get to heaven." I believe when I am in God's presence I'm not even going to care why.
I love Job's humble response... In God's presence, instead of Why? Why? Why?, Job was awed to silence Wow! Wow! Wow!
Hey Joyful...
I am deaf, and I "sing" in sign language with our praise band! Don't ask me how I do it because I shouldn't be able to... all I know is when you respond to God's call He can do a double, or triple, WOW :)
(gonna do a duet with Joy's chorus!)
"Name above all names... worthy to be praised. My heart will sing, how great is our God."
Thank you for the prayers!
Hugs,
Diane
God's word is so awesome!
I love that whirlwind that was God speaking too!! Truly a wow day!
And, we are all singing His praises together!!
Post a Comment
Home