Sometimes God's greatest power is displayed during the wilderness times of our lives. The Israelites probably thought their worries were over when they left the yoke of slavery behind. I am sure they were surprised to find themselves delivered right into the wilderness. When we allow God's power to free us from bondage many times the freedom leads to other areas of our lives that have us bound. Most likely areas of bondage we were not able to see. Leaving Egypt was only the first step in the real freedom that God wanted to give His children.
As the Lord has freed me from numerous areas of bondage, I too have found myself in the wilderness waiting for the next phase of my freedom. I have learned to appreciate the grace God offers by not exposing my sin and bondage all at once. The magnitude of the exposure to the Light would have been too much to bear. Instead the Lord used the wilderness times of my life as a classroom to teach and mold me. The Lord took His children to the classroom in the wilderness. He taught the Israelites the same lessons He taught me.
The shortest route is not always the best way out. In 13:17 we are told the Lord did not follow the shortest route out of Egypt. He felt if they met opposition they may surrender. In times of deliverance we can be on a spiritual high but still consumed with human weakness. It is very easy just to give up and go back to what we know.
He will be my provision in the wilderness. He lead them by a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night. The Lord even changed bitter water to drinkable water. The New Testament tells us the Lord is our Living Water and when we drink this water we will not be thirsty again. We have to trust Him for His provision.
The enemy is persistent. Even if our oppressor has been defeated and the yoke of our bondage has been removed, he is not likely to give up. (14:4-7) He will reappear and try to seduce us back into slavery. He is a lion in sheep's clothing.
We have a promise of victory. When the Israelites saw the Egyptians coming closer they panicked. (The Lord was right not to take the shortest route out of Egypt.) Moses assured them, "The LORD Himself will fight for you." If we will relax and trust the Lord, we like the Israelites, will not have to lift a finger to defend ourselves.
We must remember to praise Him for our deliverance. Did you notice the Israelites walked through the sea on dry land? I hate mud squishing though my toes, don't you? The Lord not only delivered them but they did not have to wash mud from their feet. Wow. He thinks of everything. Let's think to praise Him!
As the Lord has freed me from numerous areas of bondage, I too have found myself in the wilderness waiting for the next phase of my freedom. I have learned to appreciate the grace God offers by not exposing my sin and bondage all at once. The magnitude of the exposure to the Light would have been too much to bear. Instead the Lord used the wilderness times of my life as a classroom to teach and mold me. The Lord took His children to the classroom in the wilderness. He taught the Israelites the same lessons He taught me.
The shortest route is not always the best way out. In 13:17 we are told the Lord did not follow the shortest route out of Egypt. He felt if they met opposition they may surrender. In times of deliverance we can be on a spiritual high but still consumed with human weakness. It is very easy just to give up and go back to what we know.
He will be my provision in the wilderness. He lead them by a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night. The Lord even changed bitter water to drinkable water. The New Testament tells us the Lord is our Living Water and when we drink this water we will not be thirsty again. We have to trust Him for His provision.
The enemy is persistent. Even if our oppressor has been defeated and the yoke of our bondage has been removed, he is not likely to give up. (14:4-7) He will reappear and try to seduce us back into slavery. He is a lion in sheep's clothing.
We have a promise of victory. When the Israelites saw the Egyptians coming closer they panicked. (The Lord was right not to take the shortest route out of Egypt.) Moses assured them, "The LORD Himself will fight for you." If we will relax and trust the Lord, we like the Israelites, will not have to lift a finger to defend ourselves.
We must remember to praise Him for our deliverance. Did you notice the Israelites walked through the sea on dry land? I hate mud squishing though my toes, don't you? The Lord not only delivered them but they did not have to wash mud from their feet. Wow. He thinks of everything. Let's think to praise Him!






11 Comments:
Wendy, absolutely the best teaching here today. I too took note of the wilderness plan that God designed. The insights you have shared here are such truth. We walk out of our 'wilderness' holding God's Hand and knowing Him better if we allow the journey to work His way in us.
I so appreciate the thought of being "delivered into the wilderness"...not 'driven in' or 'detoured in', but lovingly placed there by a Father who knows what is best.
The verse that spoke the most to me today was Ex. 14:13-14, "...'Don't be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today...The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.'"
Trusting Him,
Joy
I was struck right away by 13:3. "This is a day to remember forever-the day you left Egypt, the place of your slavery".
When I accepted Christ as my Savior I left my place of slavery.
Where is the place of my slavery? Anywhere that God is not.
Along life's journey satan tries to put chains on me again, but because of Jesus, I fear not!
Amen!
Morgen-MN
Wendy,
Your imagery and insight is so good! I too underlined Ex. 14:13-14, and I love the song of deliverance (Ex. 15:1-21). The first memory verse that I chose, for the verse memorization year Beth Moore is hosting on the LPM blog, were verses from this passage; Exodus 15:13,17-18.
13 “With your unfailing love you lead
the people you have redeemed.
In your might, you guide them
to your sacred home.
17 You will bring them in and plant them on your own mountain—
the place, O Lord, reserved for your own dwelling,
the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hands have established.
18 The Lord will reign forever and ever!”
I love the image of the LORD leading in His people and planting them on His mountain; the place and sanctuary He has made for His own dwelling.
Peace-
Karen, CA
Wendy, I just loved what you shared today. You have such great insight from the Lord! I've taken the Chronological Bible Challenge and have also encouraged the women in my weekly bible study to do the same. I'm sending them your link today so they can follow along with you as they read their daily assignments. I know that your words will encouragement them to.
Love ya,
Leah
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning...Romans 15:4
I know I have shared this scripture before, but in reading today’s lesson I am again assured that God has a plan and purpose for everything he does and allows in the lives of his children. However, we must learn to pause and reflect before we respond and react to life occurrences. As we all mature in our faith, we will learn more and more how to trust and rest in all the promises of God. We will all have our own personal song of victory for our own personal Savior.
Debbie - North Carolina
I am just so tickled! I just found your blog. Two friends (around teh country) and I are doing the One Year Chrono bible together and I was feeling like I needed more. Having just come home from China with dd #2, time is limited, but I knew I was missing out. I just went to renew my P31 magazine and happened upon your blog. THANK YOU! Just looking back over the last few days of posts, I know this is the boost I needed. I can't wait to start following from here on!
Charlene in Broussard, LA
How many times have I have myself with the same feelings of panic? So many that I can't count them. You were so right to point out that God even made the land dry so no mud was in between the toes. How amazing was that! I look at my life and think about the little details that God see and I don't until after the crisis is over. I am always amazed. Great thoughts today.
Diane
Wendy, I camped on much the same as you today. Love the picture of mud squishing...or not. Thanks, friend.
When we are faced with what seems like impossible circumstances, we can choose or choose not to let the fear overwhelm our hearts. If we can just remember what Moses told the people, "Don't be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today...Just stay calm." 14:13-14
Loved your insight today, Wendy!
-and the rest of you sister's!
Praise God for bringing us together.
Lori
Mesa, AZ
Thanks to Wendy and to all of you for sharing your "nuggets" of truth today.
As I read Exodus 14:13 "Don't be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today...The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm," I suddenly realized that this summarizes the entire message of the Bible - God's rescue of us! We can't do anything towards performing this rescue. We must only believe and be still.
How many times am I guilty of trying to rescue myself, my husband, or my kids, when God is surely telling me the exact same thing? "Don't worry. Stay calm. I will fight for you."
The other point of the reading that made me think was when God tells the Israelites to annually celebrate "what the Lord did for me."
I am wondering if we all could use a day to celebrate what He has rescued us from each year.
Something more to ponder.
Wendy
The nugget I saw was that a visual of the fact that when we are under attack whether temptations or an illness, or whatever that, that is a type of slavery too. (my little revelation) Also I agree, I think a little praise and thankfulness to God goes a long way. (With a right heart of course)
Lynn
Post a Comment
Home