Bizarre thought isn't it? Ponder the thought...the security of slavery. I was hoping the Lord would lead me to place to discuss this very real topic.
Yesterday we talked about our exit from slavery/bondage. We saw how the Lord has definite plans for our exit and those plans more than likely differ from our ideas. He gently leads us to place where we have to depend on him for our every need.
God's chosen ones miraculously without mud in the their toes crossed the Red Sea. They are being led by the cloud and fire of the Lord. The Lord has proven Himself trustworthy and faithfully, don't you think? We all agree, "Yes." Then can you believe the words out of the their mouths one month into the journey to Canaan.
“If only the LORD had killed us back in Egypt,” they moaned. “There we sat around pots filled with meat and ate all the bread we wanted. But now you have brought us into this wilderness to starve us all to death.”
They had already uttered those words on the other side of the Red Sea but now after all they have seen how could they say them again. (And again in today's reading). Why would they want to go back to Egypt? I know why. I have been there. Their future was unknown and their past was comfortable. Here me out before you think I have totally lost my mind.
The unknown-trusting God (which is new to those in freedom) can be frightening. At the first hint of adversity we want to high tail it back to our bondage because it is a place of familiarity. It is known. We know what to expect. We develop the "been there, done that" mentality. The familiar is comfortable but it is not always right. Our exodus may not be easy. There will be times when we want to cry out, "Are you going to take care of me or not Lord?" (17:7) Through the tremble of our cry we should dig our heels in deep and hold tight to the hand that delivered us. We can trust that He has brought us thus far and will bring us further still.
Today's reading was a week's worth of material. The manna, the quail, the water from the rock,the counsel from a father-in-law, two friends holding your arms up in a battle. The applications are too numerous to list. I trust God to do show us those applications.
Thank you God for these ancient words that are still applicable today. Tender our hearts to be rich soil for the planting of the seed of Your Word. May we allow the Holy Spirit to culivate it so we can bear fruit for your glory.






8 Comments:
I understand completely about the security of slavery. It's so much easier and safer to stay where you are, even if it's in bondage. Even though you know it's wrong, the familiar is known - freedom can bring a lot of unknown.
I'm still pondering what the Lord wants me to write about today. There was just so much, but I think He's directing me towards Ex.16:32.
Thanks again Wendy - your faithfulness here is helping to hold me accountable too. Have a great weekend!
Love & prayers,
Joy
Wendy: I so appreciate hearing how God ministered to your heart through this, and it causes me to bring my heart to Him about what you have shared. What I am slave to? Areas I am not trusting Him? Thank you. I will be bringing my heart before Him.
You are right...so much in today's reading! So much to chew on...pun intended! :) So much to glean.
God bless me with Exodus 15:27: "Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there near the water." I am preparing a blog post for later today (Lord willing) called "Camping Near The Water".
Thanks again for your commitment to this daily reading. I am so excited! My children awokek this morning before I was finished reading and they joined me at the dining room table. I shared with them what God has ministered to me in today's reading and Joshua said, "Mommy, God always give you the right verse for each day." Amen! And I thank the Lord that my cherubs joined me this morning.
Hugs to you!
Thank you Wendy, for this focus. And thank you God, for Wendy! :)
This past year I was impressed/educated by a motivational speaker who asserted comfort zones are not positive things. Her thesis was comfort zones (which are often thought of in the positive as cozy & good places to be) are too often stagnant places where we are lured into inactivity and fear of growth or refusal of the invitation to growth.
When we are called to God he continally calls us out of our comfort zones. Sometimes the journey is scary, sometimes painful, and sometimes we can't even see where exactly we are or what lies on the road ahead. We do tend to "murmur", "grumble" and "complain". We want to stay in the cozy & the familiar.
Our comfort is God is there with us. Every step of the way. As we follow his voice and step out in obedience our faith is rewarded for He carries us "on the eagle's wings." (Ex19:4)
This is so the message of my own personal journey right now. I am on the path to a new opportunity which will require leaving my "comfort zone". The more I read Exodus, the more excited I become about my new journey. God is speaking to me/teaching me/preparing me both through my reading and in sharing with all of you.
I am with Jethro in Praising the Lord!
Liz
Alaska
I would like to know more about Jethro's impact on Moses. Moses was raised in Pharoah's house - he wouldn't have been told about the Lord there....but the years he lived with Jethro had to be where he heard the truth. Jethro was wise; he had a great suggestion for Moses in handling all the disputes, but he said "if God commands you to do so". We all need to seek out God's will first. I usually jump ahead...and regret later.
I also noticed the reference to "the third day" the people were to be ready to meet God. Hmmm, 3 days for Jesus to rise....maybe connected?
Have blessed weekends my sista's!
My gleaning moments in today's lesson:
God is still providing morning manna for those who will follow his instructions!
When ministry becomes too much, God already has people equipped to help us accomplish his plan.
It's hard to imagine, thunder roaring, lightning flashing, a dense cloud, smoke, fire, a mountain shaking violently and a blasting horn, and then protest at what God has to say. Whew...I would have been shaking all over. :-)
Have a wonderful weekend, friends.
Debbie - North Carolina
P.S. - Wendy, thanks for allowing God to use you to inspire us! God has promised to reward you for your work and labor or love.
The people again begin to criticize Moses and it's easy to look on them and be saddened by another inexcusable complaint from the Isaraelites. God had demonstrated that he can do anything. But, I do not always trust in God and many times allow fear to overcome me. Reading through this chapter shows that God always arranges to test and develop our faith. We have to expect to encounter many unexpected situations that will test our faith. All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. Rom 8:28.
Have a great day, ya'll!
Lori
Mesa, AZ
Hi All,
It was there at Marah that the LORD laid before them the following conditions to test their faithfulness to him: "If you will listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and laws, then I will not make you suffer the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the LORD who heals you."
Even after the people heard what the Lord had said, they continued to complain to Moses - Oh Yea of little faith!
Today's reading was an eye opener for me because eventhough sometimes we say with our mouths that we trust and have faith in God, when the real tests come around, just as the Israelites, we fail miserably. Notwithstanding the may things he has already seen us through, and yet we still doubt.
Thanks Wendy, for this opportunity to really take a self/reality check!! Have a woderful weekend all.
So I played catch-up this morning. Last Thursday, my dd was sick, and by Friday night, so were the rest of us! We didn't do a whole lot of anything over the weekend!
This passage spoke volumes to me this morning, especially after reading your comments, Wendy, and those of fellow sojourners.
Bondage takes many forms these days. A situation at home or work that is familiar, almost comfortable, even though it may not be desirable. Financial strains that seem impossible to overcome, even to the point of trusting God to keep the lights on for another week. Feeling trapped by a relationship that you know you have to keep going, but if it was a completely different circumstance, you would walk away.
God is still at work in each of these circumstances. He is still walking with us, carrying us on "eagle's wings" when we can't walk on our own. When we learn to lay our own will at His feet, we come out blessed beyond measure in the end.
Were the situations I mentioned real to me? At many points in my life, yes. Am I still learning to trust God completely and without fail? Yep, sure am!
carlyn
Post a Comment
Home