"So now, with God as our witness, and in the sight of all Israel- the LORD's assembly-I give you this charge." 2 Chronicles 28:8
I remember growing up when my momma would speak, I would listen most of the time but when daddy would speak the gospel was being spoken and listening followed by obedience was expected. There were no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I had a loving, reverent fear of my father and knew when he told me something he meant business. It is only now, as a parent for nearly 12 years I realize his words, advice, and instructions were for my good, protection, and well being. He knew about things I did not know about and was trying to lead me to become what I was meant to be.
When my father gave me a charge, he never called an assembly together before the Lord. Oh, I am sure the Lord was present but never an audience. Calling this assembly let everyone the King was about to say something important. I could almost hear a somber sadness in David's words concerning the building of the temple. He wanted to build the Lord a proper dwelling place himself but the Lord thought otherwise. I know that if my children get to do something I did not get to do, it makes me happy. I believe that David had arrived at this happy place as he presented Solomon to the assembly. After all, he wanted Solomon to be all he was meant to be.
The charge he offered is one that I believe we should all heed. Our lives were meant to be lived in peace and freedom. By pursuing the charge David gave to Solomon, I would trust that the Lord would honor us with such peace and freedom. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. In John 14:15, Jesus says that if we love Him we will obey Him. He summary this is the counsel David gave his son, the heir to the throne. Let's look at this very wise counsel:
When my father gave me a charge, he never called an assembly together before the Lord. Oh, I am sure the Lord was present but never an audience. Calling this assembly let everyone the King was about to say something important. I could almost hear a somber sadness in David's words concerning the building of the temple. He wanted to build the Lord a proper dwelling place himself but the Lord thought otherwise. I know that if my children get to do something I did not get to do, it makes me happy. I believe that David had arrived at this happy place as he presented Solomon to the assembly. After all, he wanted Solomon to be all he was meant to be.
The charge he offered is one that I believe we should all heed. Our lives were meant to be lived in peace and freedom. By pursuing the charge David gave to Solomon, I would trust that the Lord would honor us with such peace and freedom. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. In John 14:15, Jesus says that if we love Him we will obey Him. He summary this is the counsel David gave his son, the heir to the throne. Let's look at this very wise counsel:
- Obey all the commands of the Lord you God
- Know the God of your ancestors intimately
- Worship Him wholeheartedly and with a willing spirit
- Serve Him wholeheartedly and with a willing spirit






11 Comments:
Good Morning, Wendy and friends!
Wow! Yes, I am thankful that God doesn't play "hide and seek"! I can find Him wherever I go, He is always there.
"...The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart" Romans 10:8 We know that according to John 1:1 "the word was God". This morning, I am so thankful for His word. He has covered it all...by faith and in His strength, I can be "strong and courageous" for "He will not fail you or farsake you" (I Chronicles 28:20).
Truly Thankful!
Nancy
I like how throughout the Bible, God confirms and reaffirms his love and encouragement for us. Many times we read: "If you seek me you will find me" and "Be strong and courageous - don't be afraid or discouraged" and "The Lord my God is with you" or how about "He will not fail or forsake you".
I love it when I come upon a verse that reassures me that He is my God. He is a God of encouragement and affirmation. He wants us to get it - He is there beside us, guiding us, fighting the fight for us, never giving up on us. How comforting.
Happy Monday!
Morgen
I believe a Father's charge is often for His children's change. His plans offer protection. His love provides learning. We need to surrender in obedience.
This morning I wrote about my own dreams denied. Today, as I look around and see others possessing what I had purposed, sometimes it's hard. It's difficult to see another living my dream. The longing is still there, yet it's realization is lacking. For some reason the Lord has decided that, like David, He can entrust me with a vision that requires my prayer and preparation, but not my participation.
Often He must purify motives of ambition in us to bring us in line with His plans. Our self-serving, self-seeking nature needs refining and refusing so that His name alone will be praised.
One of the hardest things for us to experience might be to prepare for the building of the dream, but not be one of the construction crew.
Although God does not call everyone to build temples, we have been given special abilities and talents with which to honour the Lord. We were made specifically and purposefully for His high calling. Praying today that the Lord will be gentle with my misplaced and mistaken desires as I embrace His marvelous dreams for me.
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6-8
"Could it be that He is only waiting there to see
If I will learn to love the dreams that He has dreamed for me..." (Twila Paris, "The dreams He dreamed for me")
Surrendering,
Joy
Good Morning,
Today, in I Chron. 26:5 it said, "God had richly blessed Obed-edom."
Of all the people listed today, only this one person was mentioned being blessed from God. The Ark brought blessings from God to the his home. Today, if we allow God - and His Word to rule over our life, he will truly bless us. The more we focus our thoughts on Christ and His Word, the more we will feel his presence with us throughout the day.
To seek to "serve him with [my] whole heart and [to have] a willing mind." By seeking him, I will be able to find him. Just to think that he has chosen each one of us to place his temple in! The sanctuary where he lives is right inside us. What a gift we each have! To know that he is always with us, overwhelms me!
We need not be "afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God,...is with [us].
Blessings & Hugs to you all,
Lori - AZ
Jan, I'm praying that you get all the details in order so that you can leave peacefully. I'm lifting you up before the Lord during your trip. May your body be full of energy so that you can concentrate on spending quality time with your mother. Have no worries sister... you're in God's hands! Bring your sunscreen! 100 degree weather has sprung, ready or not!
Goodmorning all!
I Chronicles 28:9 stood out at me this morning. When I read it, the first thing I thought about were the endless commands that I got from my grandmother, mother and aunts when I was growing up. At that time, they seemed sooooo overwhelming, and because I did not identify with what they were saying, it was misinterpreted by me. It always appeared to me that they were trying to stop me from having fun!
It was not until I got older, and had already gone through some stuff, that I realised that those 'commands' were only for my good and to avoid me from going through what they went through. Eventhough now however, I can appreciate everything that I went through in life, most of the displeasing moments could have been prevented, had I only taken heeded. I thank God that it's never too late, He's a just-in-time Savior!
Experience may be the best teacher, but prevention is always better than cure!!
Seeking more of you Lord, each and everyday!!
Be blessed all
Chanan
Bahamas
ps.- I am seeking a change in employment in the midst of declination, with God anything is possible - please pray with me that an opportunity avails itself to me in the form of a Financial Controller vacancy, in a well established company on Grand Bahama Island.
Who agrees that when we make our request, they must be specific and that when two or more agrees on earth, that it will be so in Heaven - AMEN!!
Dear Ladies,
It is always so refreshing to spend a portion of my morning with you all in this study! Welcome back Diane! I am so glad your engagement went well this weekend and I know where you are in the struggle with the letter. My first marriage ended in divorce as well, but I see a great strength in you already. You are surrounded by love, love from your sons, love from you friends, love from your sisters here in blog land, and love from God our Father and His son, Jesus Christ. Rest in this love dear sweet sister and be renewed!
Joy, I feel your sadness as you describe the loss of your dream. Please remember that we only have a "puzzle-piece" view and God sees the whole completed picture. We each play an integral part in the whole. Please don't miss the rest of the passage; "So take this seriously. The Lord has chosen you to build a Temple as His sanctuary. Be strong, and do the work." The temple is the Church, the bride of Christ (Revelation 19 and 21); the sanctuary is you. The Lord has in mind great things for you in the building of his church. But He also desires you to rest. Rest in Him and let Him renew you. You have much on your heart and mind with your father's health.
Chanan, I am praying for your future, and I hope that your procedure last week was okay. I too am contemplating a job change. My current prayer is "Where you send me Lord, I will go." It might be as far as Switzerland, or it might be remaining here in the San Francisco area. Please keep me in your prayers too, that God will open the doors He wants me to go through and close the doors that are not part of His plan for me.
Jan, you are in my prayers. I lift you and your husband up, to have the strength to tackle the flood waters and to travel to AZ. I pray that your health remains strong and that you are able to minister to your mother out of strength. The swine flu is not as virulent as was first reported, but there is a wicked upper respiratory infection (cold) going around here. I have had it for two weeks. I pray you escape from that as well.
Okay, I have really rambled, but I wanted to let you all know how much you mean to me and how much I look forward to sharing this time with you each day. Thanks again Wendy!
- Karen, CA
Good Morning Ladies...I also loved the charge that David gives to Solomon. In 28:19 in reference to building the temple..."All this," David said, "I have in writing from the hand of the Lord upon me, and he gave me understanding in all the details of the plan." NIV
Wouldn't you like to have God's plan and purpose for your life in writing from His own hand! I checked out the reference at the bottom of the page in my NIV study Bible:
"The Chronicler may intend no more than the ordinary process of inspiration whereby David wrote under divine influence. On the other hand, he may imply a parallel with Moses, who also received documents from the hand of the Lord."
Contemplating this right now:
How can God's purpose and plan for our life be clearer than it seems to be? How can we know for sure that what we are doing is what he has planned for our life?
David continues and gives this charge to Solomon:
*Be strong and courageous
*DO THE WORK
*Do not be afraid or discouraged
The Lord God, "MY GOD" (David makes sure to note this ...not just any god), is with you.
He will not fail you or forsake you until His temple building work is finshed. "Do the work"...does this command sound familiar around your house? :)
In this busy life what is the most important charge we can give our children by word, deed and even in writing that will help them in this life the most?
"To know the God that I know intimately, (acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight)
How do you know Him intimately? Experience his presence throughout your daily life... praise Him in the good times, and know that He walks with us through the struggles, the pain,and the losses we have in life. No one is exempt from them. But it is so much better to know Him than not to know Him during these times in your life. Sometimes we do not know why bad things happen to good people. But always know that God has the whole picture...that is what gives us hope and trust in Him. Thanks be to God, my God, the God of my family for generations."
Lord help us to show our children what it means to love, worship and serve you with our whole hearts and our willing minds. Help us not to get discouraged, to be courageous and strong in showing our children how we live out our struggles, our losses and our pain. That we can give them over to you. Our children are always watching us. Help us to be the examples you want us to be so that one day they will intimately know you Lord because we showed them we knew you first. Amen
Have a great day ladies where ever you are or where ever you are going this day. The Lord is surely with you!
Love from Debbie in Illinois
Lori, I looked at AZ forecast last night so I knew that it was going to hot when I get there. Pulling out some of my summer clothes. The most I will get out will be to take my mom for a walk in the wheel chair around the block and back.
Thank you Lori and Karen for praying for me. I will be taking over my mom' total care while I am there so my SIL can have a break. Its really hard when my mom can't understand what is being said to her...hearing aides don't help because it isn't her ears, its the ability of her mind to comprehend what is being said. Sometimes you have to just go ahead and do whatever it is that needs done. Its hard to lose your dignity and have to be cleaned like a baby...that really bothers her...but it would me too.
I hope I get some computer time while I am there...or I will have withdrawl symptoms...I will miss all you sisters. I never had a sister before...just 6 brothers. My mom takes a long nap in the afternoon so I am hoping the computer will be free during some of that time.
God is going to be with me on the plane and in AZ as much as He is here in TN.
Jan TN
Karen,
I will definately be lifting you up in prayer as I pray for my destiny. The procedure was postponed to May 25th, but thanks so much for remembering!! Will keep you posted as the time draws nearer.
Chanan
Bahamas
Jan - I heard someone say once that when our dignity is gone, the dignity of Christ takes over. That has always stuck with me; especially when I think of loved ones in a nursing home or such. Blessings to you as you care for your momma.
Morgen - MN
Morgen, what a wonderful thought...that Christ's dignity takes over when ours is gone. Thanks for posting that.
Jan TN
Post a Comment
Home