"But the godly will flourish like palm trees and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon."
Psalm 92:12
Psalm 92:12
I could not run from the phrase cedars of Lebanon. Primarily because I am known for not being about to keep anything green alive, much less cause it to flourish. Therefore I was intrigued by the idea that the godly would flourish like palm trees and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon.
Who are the godly? This word is the same Hebrew word used to describe a friend from our past, Noah. The word is originally translated as righteous and means just, lawful, and righteous. I used to be intimiated and felt quite unworthy when I heard the word righteous follow by a promise of the Lord. Because of my feelings, I would quickly discount myself from the promise and move on to a promise I thought I might be more worthy to receive. Somewhere along my journey I realized because of Christ I have been made righteous and according to the definition I can receive this promise.
I jumped on the horticulture bandwagon and did some research. What I found was very interesting. Cedars of Lebanon grow to be 40-50 feet tall. They have upright branches which produce dark green foliage and cones that make their appearance beautiful. They live in full sun but have a high tolerance for drought. The palm tree will flourish when given tender loving care and has healthy soil. (No fungus in the soil) Are you seeing the spiritual similarities?
Psalm 32 refers to the person who has confessed their sin and is walking with the Lord as upright. The branches on the strong cedar are upright. In order to grow strong, the cedar must have full sun-we must have full Son. However, just like the cedar we can survive in drought conditions. Our drought conditions occur when we are not walking closely with the Lord. What hope! We will survive and can still thrive.
Our soil must be healthy, no sin left unconfessed. We need the tender loving care. of our Caretaker. I love that we will flourish. The transliteration of the word flourish means to to bud, sprout, shoot or bloom. My favorite part is: sends out shoots, causes to bud or shoot. Our flourishing will cause others to flourish. We can "pollinate" our Christianity to others. Isn't that called witnessing? I am sure there are references to that it the Bible. (Smile)
At a speaking event in 2006 I received a plant. I told the woman who gave it to me how much I appreciate her thoughtfulness and how sorry I was that the plant would soon die. Her response was, "You can't kill this plant." She was right. It is alive and has sprouted an offspring. It is not a cedar of Lebanon or palm tree but it thriving and flourishing. I would like to think the plant and I have a lot in common.
I jumped on the horticulture bandwagon and did some research. What I found was very interesting. Cedars of Lebanon grow to be 40-50 feet tall. They have upright branches which produce dark green foliage and cones that make their appearance beautiful. They live in full sun but have a high tolerance for drought. The palm tree will flourish when given tender loving care and has healthy soil. (No fungus in the soil) Are you seeing the spiritual similarities?
Psalm 32 refers to the person who has confessed their sin and is walking with the Lord as upright. The branches on the strong cedar are upright. In order to grow strong, the cedar must have full sun-we must have full Son. However, just like the cedar we can survive in drought conditions. Our drought conditions occur when we are not walking closely with the Lord. What hope! We will survive and can still thrive.
Our soil must be healthy, no sin left unconfessed. We need the tender loving care. of our Caretaker. I love that we will flourish. The transliteration of the word flourish means to to bud, sprout, shoot or bloom. My favorite part is: sends out shoots, causes to bud or shoot. Our flourishing will cause others to flourish. We can "pollinate" our Christianity to others. Isn't that called witnessing? I am sure there are references to that it the Bible. (Smile)
At a speaking event in 2006 I received a plant. I told the woman who gave it to me how much I appreciate her thoughtfulness and how sorry I was that the plant would soon die. Her response was, "You can't kill this plant." She was right. It is alive and has sprouted an offspring. It is not a cedar of Lebanon or palm tree but it thriving and flourishing. I would like to think the plant and I have a lot in common.






9 Comments:
Oh Wendy, so encouraging. I don't have a "green thumb" either, but I love this directive to "Be a Tree" and what it implies.
OK..this will date me, but does anyone remember an old song that Evie Tornquist Karlsson used to sing called, "The Tree Song"? It as written by Ken Medema. Here are the lyrics:
I saw a tree by the riverside one day as I walked along.
Straight as an arrow and pointing to the sky growing tall and strong.
"How do you grow so tall and strong?" I said to the riverside tree.
This is the song my tree friend sang to me:
Chorus:
I've got roots growing down to the water,
I've got leaves growing up to the sunshine,
and the fruit that I bear is a sign of the life in me.
I am shade from the hot summer sundown.
I am nest for the birds of the heavens.
I'm becoming what the Lord of trees has meant me to be:
A strong young tree.
I saw a tree in the wintertime, when snow lay on the ground.
Straight as an arrow and pointing to the sky winter winds blew all around.
"How do you stay so tall and strong?" I said to the wintertime tree.
This is the song my tree friend sang to me:
Chorus
I saw a tree in the city streets, where buildings blocked the sun.
Green and lovely I could see it gave joy to everyone.
"How do you grow in the city streets?" I said to the downtown tree.
This is the song my tree friend sang to me:
Chorus
Today I was struck by six words from Psalm 94:17, "Unless the LORD had helped me..." My mind began to race to so many examples in my life where, unless the Lord had helped me I would have failed miserably. Just listing them all out and writing them down has encouraged my heart and I have traced how the Lord has had His Hand on my life.
Unless the Lord had helped me, I would be nothing at all. So thankful for His intervention in all that concerns me.
Wendy, thanks for helping me deepen my roots in His Word,
Joy
Good morning! What an exciting scripture to dwell upon, Wendy. Just recently, I visited the botanical garden in St. Louis. The gardens are truly a picture of God's beautiful creation. It's not only beautiful, but peaceful even in the hottest temp's of summer. Even though the garden doesn't verbally speak, it radiates peace, love, strength, etc. as the gardens flourish in the sun.
The next verses, (Psalm 92:13-14) really meant more after dwelling on vs 12...."For they are transplanted to the LORD's own house, They flourish in the courts of our God. Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green." There it is again...the word "flourish". It is my hope that I will flouish...that when others see me (not merely hear me) they will see the love of my Lord. I look forward to that day...that day I am transplanted to the His own house. Meanwhile, may I bloom and stand strong (flourish)where I am planted.
Wow, Wendy. Thanks for sharing your insight; it just opened up a whole new meaning for my day.
Girls, have a wonderful day!
love,
nancy
Good Morning everyone!
Wendy I'm with you, I did not get the green thumb in our family, however I do have 2 plants that have survived. (Like your Picture)
Psalm 95 vs 1 Come let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. vs 6 Come, let us worship and bow down. Let us kneel before the Lord our maker, for He is our God.
How He loves our praises! As much as us who have children, love to have them honor us with love and gratitude so much more our Lord loves our praises.
As we traveled along the Oregon Coast this weekend to visit my earthly Father, we commented how deep and rooted the rocks off the shores must be to withstand the raging waves of the sea, and still stand above the water. God is that rock for us.
Psalm 96 vs 11 Let the heavens be glad, and the earth rejoice! Let the sea and everything in it shout his praise!
Have a wonderful day!
Blessings,
Lynn
I like the direction today's discussion is taking. Nancy, I also focused on the "transplant" verse - and putting it together with Wendy's tree analogy is wonderful.
Not only will I be transplanted to the Lord's own house; but in reverse God has transplanted His heart into my chest. How awesome is that!
Praying to bear fruit for Him.
Morgen
Good Morning All~
Wendy, I love how you opened up verse 12! And you too Nancy! :)
Morgen-when you talked about us having "His transplanted heart"
I immediately thought about one of yesterday's verses, 33:15 - "He made their hearts, so he understands everything they do."
"You thrill me, LORD...I sing for joy because of what you have done." 92:4.
96:12 - "Let the trees of the forest rustle with praise." Have you ever stood, quiet, amongst trees surrounding you? To hear them hum as they energetically move back/forth as each leaf touches each other! The beautiful rippling sound as the patters get louder and louder. This just makes me think of praising the Lord!
"You thrill me Lord."
Thank you dear sisters for your comments! Love you all, Lori - AZ
Yesterday Psalm 1 stood out to me, verses: 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
Two years ago, my husband's step-sister's husband died and a month later his brother died (both of them Brian's) and he got a tatoo in memory of them, he drew it out, it is a tree by the river with two headstones under the tree and the tree in the middle...a friend of mine said, He is prophecying over himself...and used these very verses, and then just a couple weeks ago my husband surrendered his life to the LORD! It has been lonely here in Colorado, I miss all my godly girlfriends in Iowa and know in time we will make friends..but the verse that stood out to me today was:Ps. 94:18-19 18 I cried out, “I am slipping!”
but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.
19 When doubts filled my mind,
your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. Another girlfriend told me before we moved here: God has not forgotten me....looking forward to all that God will do and praying for that unfailing love and comfort to be revealed to us here.
Wendy, your analogy of being a tree also brought this passage of scripture to my mind.
To grant [consolation and joy] to those who mourn in Zion--to give them an ornament (a garland or diadem) of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment [expressive] of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit--that they may be called oaks of righteousness [lofty, strong, and magnificent, distinguished for uprightness, justice, and right standing with God], the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified. Isaiah 61:3
We have been armored with all it takes to be a source of light and strength to those who are in darkness and weak in this world!
Debbie - North Carolina
P.S. - Morgen, thanks for joining with me to pray Psalm 91 over our military. I have prayed Psalm 91 over your cousins in Guatemala. God is faithful!!!
Glorious discussion today, sister sojourners...such a blessing and so enriching!
I once heard Joyce Meyer ask "okay great...you are Busy..but are you Fruitful?" I want to Be a (Fruitful) Tree - green, flourishing & sending out shoots:
Sing to the Lord; praise his name.
Each day proclaim the good news that he saves.
Publish his glorious deeds among the nations,
Tell everyone about the amazing things he does.
Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! (Psalm 96:2-4a)
Rich in the unspeakable joy of his glory,
Liz
AK
mmmm...I loved that song that "Joyful" mentioned when I was a little girl. Thank you for your entry, and if it helps, I can't make things grow well either.:) I just want to be tree, firmly planted by streams of living water...I think I blogged about that awhile ago..but I forget what month. LOL.
Bless you.
K.
Post a Comment
Home