On An Island Of Exile
"I, John, am your brother and your partner in suffering and in God's Kingdom and in the patient endurance to which Jesus calls us. I was exiled to this island of Patmos for preaching the Word of God for my testimony about Jesus."
Revelation 1:9

Today's key verse is from Friday's reading. Considering it gives us great insight to the trials and tribulations we have encounter in our daily lives. It was impossible for me to discuss my key point from today's reading without reflecting on John's life at the time he recorded Revelation.

John was exiled. He was banished from his home land for a prolonged period of time. (until death) What happens to him on the island of exile simply amazes me. I can't begin to understand it all nor break its meaning down for explanation however there is one pronounced truth that speaks loudly to me: even in exile God has something important to say to us. Through life's trials, tribulations, and battles God still speaks to His children.

On our island of exile He offers love. He offers counsel. He rebukes us for our shortcomings and . He cares. Yes, even in our difficult times when we feel (God is Greater than our feelings.) exiled for a short or prolonged time from our normal life, He cares and He speaks.

There is also time for worship and celebration amidst the trials, tribulations, and battles of life. We must take time-out to worship our Lord, to bow down before Him and cry:

"Salvation comes from our God who sits on the throne and from the Lamb!" (7:10)

"Amen! Blessings and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and strength belong to our God forever! Amen. (7:12)

Between the letters to the churches and the seals, God choose to allow John to experience worship at the throne of the Lamb. There is no accident of the placement of scripture. Everything written is placed and purposed for a reason. We can not be sure why He placed the "worship scene" here (or in chapter 5 as the Lamb opens the scroll) but we gleen application.

If you are experiencing exile right now, today, even in what is supposed to be the most joyous time of the year, remember:

"Salvation comes from our God who sits on the throne and from the Lamb!" (7:10)

"Amen! Blessings and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and strength belong to our God forever! Amen. (7:12)

And all the saints said, AMEN!

P.S. A personal note: I wonder if you would pray for my mother Fay. She is having her left knee replacement today. Your prayers and kind words were such encouragement to her in September when she had her right knee replaced. I believe in the power of prayer. Your prayers, along with many others, are the reason she had such great success.



16 Comments:

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Praying for your mother, Wendy. May the surgery be uneventful and complication-free. May she experience healing and regain full use of her knee.

I love what you wrote about the island of exile. It is true. God can use us anywhere. The verse that stood out for me was Rev 7:17b "He will lead them to springs of life giving water And God will wipe every tear from their eyes." I wonder why we would be shedding tears in heaven? Is it regret? For those people who are forever lost? Is it for blessings not claimed? As baffling as it is, I am thankful that God is there like a gentle Father wiping away our tears, "There, there, everything will be all right. " And we will never cry again.

So enjoying your blog since I found it-what a blessing!
I will be praying for your mom as well.
Looking forward to digging into God's word with you in the coming year.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heavenly Father, be with Wendy's mom Fay as she goes thru another knee surgery. Thank you so much that her first surgery went so well. Please give the doctors and nurses steady hands, sharp minds and complete focus on their task. Give Fay and family your peace and comfort as they endure this procedure. May her recovery be swift and problem-free. Amen.

Reading Revelations is fascinating and confusing at the same time. Can we even imagine what John was seeing? for example, if he was seeing army tanks, or some sort of fighting machines that we have today, but never having seen much more than a camel or donkey as transportation back then, he could only describe to the best of his ability. Fascinating. Reading Revelations can be scary, but I know that my Savior has me covered. These verses give us even more reason to witness to the saving power of Jesus.

Happy Monday all - busy end of year week for me.

Morgen

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Wendy,

It is good to hear you had a wonderful Christmas with family and it is a privilege to pray for your mother.

I am enjoying the break in daily activities and I find I can really concentrate on each days readings. I don't have to rush through them. I am especially thankful that this is the case as we read the book of Revelation.

Your historical nugget is quite the context builder. Jesus says in Mark 9:1 "And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.""

and likewise Luke 9:27 "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

John was standing there. He did not taste death until he saw the kingdom of God. And he wrote about it!

So many numbers and so little understanding. 144,000 Jews sealed for the tribulation. Seven lampstands, Seven stars, Seven Churches, Seven seals, Seven trumpets, Seven thunders, an army of 200,000,000! Destruction of only a third... (for interest, look at Ezekiel 5:2 -"When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair with fire inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword." This follows Ezekiel's 430 days of lying on one side or the other). But despite all the horrific events, people still do not repent.

I noticed too the pauses; there was silence in Heaven for about a half hour (Revelation 8:1) when the lamb broke the seventh seal. Can you imagine Heaven, a place of constant praise and glory being silent for 30 minutes? And the angle with the small scroll appears before the seventh trumpet is blown. I read a commentary that explained these pauses as God showing mercy on the world and allowing more time for repentance. This is like the verse in 2 Peter (3:9) -The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

I am glad He is patient.

Karen, Basel

Blogger Chef Diane said...

Wendy,

Lifting mama Fay in prayer today.

Father thank you for the blessing of today. Thank you for allowing us to stand in prayer for our sisters.
Lord, please be with mama Fay as she has her left knee replaced today. Be with the doctors and medical staff that are involved with her care. Allow them to be focused and attentive to her needs. Surround Wendy and her family with people who will be blessings to them at this time. We know that you can and will be with her in this surgery so that everything will honor and glorify you. Thank you Lord for all you have done and will continue to do in mama Fay's life and those who love her. Bless Wendy for her faithfulness in your work.
Amen,

Love and hugs Wendy and gentle ones to mama Fay,
Diane

Anonymous Lori said...

Morning~So much to share, but only so much space! I sure enjoyed catching up on everyone's comments. I too have been looking forward to Revelation-can you believe we are so close to the end? My, my! But, it's ok, cause we're doing it again! Thank you, Wendy!

This book, by far I would say is the most confusing, yet we know that each time we read through it we will gain more wisdom. God will reveal to us different nuggets, year after year. The beginning really caught my attention, "This is a revelation from Jesus Christ,"...and I had to highlight (!) "God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy," (1:3). Revelation is the only Book of the Bible specifically promising a blessing for all who read it in obedience to its commands.

The 7 churches represent the dangers which Christians today are faced with. I noticed the repetition of "those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne." This was mentioned towards the end of each message to the individual 7 churches. That is the key for us: to walk each day in victory. "Those who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life." 3:5
See John 15: 6 & 10. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
"If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love..."
My study NIV Bible states: Genuine salvation is evidenced by a life of fruitfulness. Christians do slip of His path-it's straight and narrow. What do they lose out on?
Ahh, the abiding in Him, walking victoriously in Him. Experiencing His Spirit coming out-love, peace, joy, self-control. Christ in us, coming out-for those around to see.

Did you notice the 'little book,' John was first given-symbolic of God's Word. Once it was digested, he was qualified to tell the world that the 'little book' has a message that is sweet to those who receive Christ as their Savior. Eating 'all' of it speaks of understanding and reading ALL the Scripture, year-after-year.

Today we read the GREAT PROMISE! "After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands. And they were shouting with a great roar." Rev. 9 & 10---
Believers standing in the presence of the LORD! Can you imagine! What a promise to dwell on, to think about, to look forward to! The anticipation of standing in His Presence! This is a GREAT PROMISE that allows us to be joyful no matter what our day holds!

Praying that today we each will be drawn to God's Word. That He will open up the Scriptures to each one of us and reveal to us what He wants us to know. Love, hugs, & prayer's coming your way! Lori
PS It will be an honor to pray for Fay this morning, Wendy.

Blogger Joyful said...

Oh how I've enjoyed each comment so far today. Wendy, I am praying for your mom...in fact...my verse focus today was directed by God for my friend Renee Swope who also needs prayer today as she goes to her biopsy appointment, but I want to dedicate the same truth I wrote to her, for your mom as well. It is taken from the following verse: "And I saw another angel coming up from the east, carrying the seal of the living God." Rev.7:2

According to the NLT Life Application Bible, a seal on a scroll or document identified and protected its contents.

My mind recalls just a few days ago while my son was writing Christmas cards. He had purchased three special cards, and after signing them, he was searching the bag for the "gold crown" seal that Hallmark always supplies with each card purchase. This time the saleslady had forgotten. There were no stickers in the bag. My son was so disappointed. He wanted that final fastener fixed. A declaration of identification, completion and authenticity.

There is another crown that declares identification, completion and authenticity as well. It is a seal of assurance and security. It establishes our salvation and confirms our heritage. It is a crown of thorns. This symbol of redemption reminds us of Christ's sacrfice, suffering and promises.

God places His own seal upon our lives, declaring we are His own, guaranteeing His protection over our souls. We are of great value to Him, and nothing can touch us, or pass His seal on our lives, that He doesn't allow.

If you have received Christ as your Savior, you can rest assured today that God's seal on you has been firmly fastened. You are held secure, identified as His, and no-one else can break His seal over your life. Absolutely nothing can disturb that seal without His permission. Your life is contained by His.

Praying that both Fay and Renee know the Lord's peace and presence as they walk through today. May they know God's seal upon their lives,
Joy

Blogger Deb said...

Good Morning Ladies...It's the 4th day of Christmas...4 calling birds as the 12 days of Christmas song goes. This morning I am thinking about the Magi who are still on their way bringing their gifts to the Christ child. I love the saying I hear around this time of year, "Wisemen still seek Him today!"
Praying and seeking wisdom and insights to glean as we continue our read through Revelations.

I used to be afraid of this book of the Bible and talk of end times. But I realize that I have no control over the happenings to come. But God is in perfect control and His timing is perfect.

I do know that I/we need to stay strong in our faith and keep our eyes on the One who is greater than anything we may face...Our Lord and Savior...Jesus Christ.

I love the thought that His seal is our protection...and Joy's analogy to the gold crown seal on the Hallmark cards...authenticity!

My treasured moment during our Christmas gift opening...was in the middle of opening gifts my 23 month old grand daughter picked up the small gold star box I had placed under the tree with the rest of the gifts. I made a little announcement that Ryliee had found the star box. Everyone kept on talking...so I told Ryliee she could open the box. As she unraveled the tissue paper baby Jesus fell out onto the floor. She picked Him up and cradled Him in her small hand and said, "Ohhhh". It was so sweet and a moment we both shared amidst the opening of gifts. At the moment, He was the greatest gift of all for the two of us. :)

Heavenly Father, I lift up Wendy's Mom, Fay. She is having surgery to replace a knee. Please let your presence be known to her and her family. Help guide the surgeon's hands and those who care for her following up her surgery. May her recovery be swift and smooth. Praising you and thanking you for your great healing powers. In Jesus name we Pray...Amen.

We were blessed with 12" of snow that came down at a rate of 2" per hour on Saturday. It came down so ever gently...it was beautiful. It was a very light weight snowfall (couldn't make my snow creation with this snow fall.:)) but it was easy to shovel...it just kept coming down and we needed to shovel at least 3 different times.

Love, from Northern Illinois...Debbie

Blogger Deb said...

http://www.ccclife.org/story.asp?storyid=833 The Pastor of Christ Community Church in the neighboring town of St. Charles, Il. is in the middle of a sermon series on Revelations. "Return of the King" If any one is interested you can go to the site above and access it a varitey of ways. Debbie from Il.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joining with all today in praying for Fay, for her doctors and the medical team, that she might receive the most blessed care possible. May her surgery be led by God's hands and her healing swift and comfortable. Prayers too for the family as they minister to her during her time of surgery and recuperation.

Today's reading...wow. I was very glad to be able to come here and sort it out. Revelation has been a difficult book for me, but your comments have helped disperse the fog a bit.

I'm so grateful to all of you for sharing what God is revealing to you through what he revealed to John.

Wishing you all a blessed Monday, whatever your day holds - it's back to work for me as well today - a short work week with much to do in order to close out the year!

Love & prayers to all and (((((Fay)))))

Liz
AK

Anonymous K.S. said...

Thank you, Deb, for the Revelation series link that Christ Community Church pastor is covering in his current sermon series. I will check that out.

Here's the link if anyone else is interested:

http://www.ccclife.org/story.asp?storyid=833

Blessings,

Krista

Anonymous Jan Hobbs said...

Wendy, hope you Mom is out of surgery by now and is on the road to recovery. Will continue to pray for her.

For those of you that didn't read the last posts from the weekend, I posted what Warren Wiersbe's commentary said about "names being removed from the Book of Life." You might want to go back and look at the last weekend post. I am very assured mine won't be removed.

Blogger Brandee said...

Wendy and all, I have enjoyed reading all the posts over the coarse of today. Both my boys are still home and will be so until the first of next week so my time on the computer is limited between the Mario Brothers marathon that has been going on, lol. Thank you all for the insights and commentaries on Revelations. It is very hard to understand and this all helps so much. Our Pastor announced the Sunday before Christmas we were going to be studying Revelations through a sermon series next year. I am looking forward to his insights.

I have joined everyone in praying for your Mom Fay Wendy. Hope you all have had a blessed day.

Love,
Brandee, TN

PS I got my 5 subject notebook today at Walmart :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating commentary on the weekend post Jan! Thank you so much. It really hit home with me. I love the idea of everyone's names in the book, with only the believer's names remaining in the end.

Jodie - I remember each of my little ones in their baby santa or Christmas outfits....soooo adorable and such a fun time. Mine are now 22, 20 and 14. The time has flown by. Enjoy little Elliot while he's still that; little.

Morgen

Blogger Brandee said...

Awesome news...I had three friends confirm with me today they are going to join us this next year :)

Post a Comment

Home