Monumental Peace
"See this piles of stones," Laban continued, "and see this monument I have set between us. They stand between us as witnesses of our vows. I will never pass this pile os stones to harm you, and you will never pass these stones or this monument to harm me."
Genesis 31:51-52




My Take-Aways:

Something old in a new way:
Genesis 30:25
I did remember eleven of Jacob's twelve sons being born while still living with Laban. Any son-in-law would be ready to "have their own place."

Something new:
Genesis 31:41 and 31:53
God is described as fearsome. The NASB (New American Standard Bible) uses the word Fear of God-the "F" is captialized. The word fear is not a reverent fear or awe for the Lord. They had seen the power and wrath of God with Sodom and Gomorrah. They had no doubt heard of the destruction of the world and the ark that saved "the few." This word fear means terror or dread. This is how they knew the Lord.

Something to do:
Genesis 29:52-53
Live in peace with those around. Build a monument on certain conflicts, lay out my line of stones and don't look back.


Videos translated by Joy Brown and posted at www.princessjoyful.blogspot.com


27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your video helped to direct my thoughts today. I struggled to really nail down what I got from today's reading.
Living in peace and avoiding conflict when possible is something I desire. (I understand why Monks live the way they do) so many times we are sucked into conflict not by our own doing but just by being. We see more conflict headed Jacob's way by Rachel's decision to steal Laban's idols. Jacob now will have to "deal" with more conflict and not by his own doing.
I did underline and question how such a huge caravan as Jacob's could "sneak" away from Laban. They must have had some space to themselves and were spread out across the land.
I hadn't realized Jacob lived with Laban for 20 years and had to ask to be released. We don't see family obligations today like they had back then.
Nugget: LIVE IN PEACE as best as I can - and ask God to help me always seek a peaceful resolution.

Morgen

Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks for the vlog, Wendy. You gave insight that I hadn't thought about. I do need to learn to set up monuments.

Gen 30:26 & 31:15 struck me. First that Jacob had to 'earn' his family and the fact that he already paid a purchase price for them..? Was it his labor for the 14+years, or was their money exchanged? Because in the NLT it does sound like there had been money received and wasted.

I wonder about Gen 31:19. Why did Rachel steal the household idols?

Gen 31:43 Labon gets on my nerves!lol How can he consider Jacobs wives and Jacobs children his own. Greedy man is what I see.

One more questions. Gen 31:53 say the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor? It does have the 'g' capitalized. I hadn't realized that Nahor served the same God as Abraham...?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Morning!

I seem to spend lots of time after reading this year just wondering ... trying to figure out what these lives must have been like, so ...

1. Laban's family was Abraham's family. They knew him for a long time, during which God actually visited Abraham personally - maybe others, too? How quickly both Laban and Rachel come to worship idols!

2. Both Laban and Jacob are dishonest about their wages - Laban keeps changing it and never does fully acknowledge that Jacob has a part, and Jacob purposely tries to breed stronger, marked animals for himself and gives his father-in-law the weaker ones. This seems neither fair nor the way to keep peace in the family. I need to look up wage practices of this time ... anybody know about this??

2. When Jacob talked to Rachel and Leah about leaving their father's land, they were totally okay with it. They talked about how they didn't have any money coming to them but didn't show a single hint of sorrow at go so far away from their family of birth, possibly never to see them again.

3. I hope that I can teach my children to respect their family and their history, both the members of this family and the legacy of faith that is within it, and feel a strong connection to their family tree. I don't ever want to keep them from heading out whatever God directs them, but I do want them to know that they are loved right here. I want to teach them that family and people are much more important than money and things.

I just can't believe how dishonest and shallow Rachel appearsbtoday!

Heading off to get ready to babysit ... have a great day!

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Happy Monday and Day #11 time flies.

Not a lot of time today so I'll try to make it quick.

Something new: Gen 30:30
What about me makes me think of Joyce Meyers, however Jacob was standing up for himself which isn't bad.

Something old but diff: Gen 31:14-15 Just hadn't seen the "sold us" and "wasted the money" part before

Something to do: Gen 31:50 God See's you even if no one else does. Keep that before me always so I am not tempted to do or say things that would not please Him.

Got to get ready for work.
Lynn - OR

PS Wendy missed your videos over the weekend but love knowing you are taking time for the family. Thanks!

Blogger Lutiemom said...

Wow, this reading was full. I am going to be pondering and working on it throughout the day today.

1) At first, when re-visiting these scriptures, I was amazed at how Jacob endured the treatment of Laban. Laban was constantly cheating Jacob. To Jacob's face, he spoke one way, yet later he would turn things around. Yet, Jacob remained respectful...until the point he tried to breed a stronger herd for himself. Yet, putting a branch in the feeder isn't exactly what I'd think of as a great deal of manipulation.

2. Then Wendy's video really put things into perspective. Really, enough was enough. It was time for Jacob to leave and take his belongings with him. He didn't need to endure the harsh treatment anymore; it was time to move on.

2) I wonder if Laban was concerned that Jacob was seeking revenge by leaving. Laban prospered because of Jacob's God and his hard work. Laban wanted this covenant...was he afraid to turn his back on Jacob or was this Jacob's answer to prayer. Laban would finally let go, stop the games, and let Jacob move on.

3)Life application: When I feel mistreated by others, I need to remember Jacob. Gen 31:42 "...God has seen your abuse and my hard work." Let God work out the conflict. Until then, be respectful in my ways and honor God in all I do.

It's a wonderful morning! Be blessed.

Nancy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning! Thank you for your prayers regarding my daughter Jordan. She did recover quickly form her stomach issues, however, I find it odd that she has had 2 episodes of vomitting in a three week period and nobody else seems to be effected in our household nor had she been exposed to a similar virus. I am praying for God's discernment in this matter - I tend to worry - and would appreciate your prayers as well!

Something familiar but new:
That Jacob was actually a shepard for Labon. He tended to Labon'sflock for over 20 years(Gen 31:38). He truly was a servant, staying all this time until the angel of God appeared to him in a dream and told it was time to return to his home land (Gen 31:12-13). He worked as a servant seeing all the fruits of his labor turned over to Labon but continued to stay and honor his agreement.

Something New:
I had a hard time following the significance of the sheep - black, speckled, & spotted.

I found the story of the stone monument new to me. I especially found it interesting that Laban spoke Aramaic (named the monument with Aramaic name) and Jacob spoke Hebrew (named monument with a Hebrew word). I wondered how they were able to understand each other. Did Jacob speak both languages?

Nugget:
We have to remain faithful to God and serve Him in all that we do. He will watch over us and provide for us. Sometimes it may be work we don't really want to perform like Jacob serving Labon for over twenty years - working hard and not receiving any benefits of his labor. The Lord will be our light and he will guide if we will let Him!
Blessing for a terrific Monday!
Meredith

Blogger Joyful said...

As I listened to your video this morning, I was reminded of a teaching I just heard by James MacDonald on the radio, "Always Resolve All Conflict Now". He gave 3 reasons why conflict may not be resolved immediately:
1. The person or circumstance has really upset you and you need a couple of days to calm yourself and pray. He suggested we don't let it drag on. After a few days go and resolve the conflict.
2. The other person isn't ready. When you go to them, they won't receive your apology or offer of forgiveness. At this point you have done all you can, so you move on. The other party may or may not come back to you at some point.
3. The issue wasn't personal. You are upset about something that wasn't a personal attack on you by someone you know. James MacDonald gave the example of a Judge passing down a verdict. You have no personal ties with the Judge, he was just the one to pass down the sentence that has upset you.

Just thought I'd share that as his teaching was still fresh on my mind.

Have a great day ladies,
Joy
PS. Thanks for providing the link on your post :)

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Wendy - I love what you taught us about building a monument and moving on. I wrote that one down.

JnL4God - Oh, yeah I remember Joyce Meyer's "What about me" robot.

1. Familiar but new: Jacob stayed with laban for 20 years until God called him to leave. Gen 31:13 "I am the God who appeared to you at Bethel, theplace where you anointed the pillar of stone and made your vow to Me. Now get ready and leave this country and return to the land of your birth." Though all that Laban has put him through - the wife switching, the changing of the wages and the very confusing spotted, speckled, black sheep episode - Jacob waited to hear from God before he moved. Do I wait to hear from God or am I too impatient and rush things along(answer is yes)?

2. New: Laban had gods. I thought when they left Ur it was to get away from the pagan worship that was going on there. Maybe it spread and they caught it in Haran. Anyway, it is hard to understand how Laban could still have idols when he himself told Jacob that "I have become wealthy for the LORD has blessed me because of you. (Gen. 30:27b)" Why was the LORD not enough that he was in hot pursuit of them over one stolen idol?

3. Application: I am glad I serve a God that cannot be stolen. I also need to search my heart that I truly only worship the one true God and not harbor any idols. El Shaddai is enough.

Have a blessed day, fellow travelers!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Monday morning to all!

My fingers were itching to log on and write yesterday, but I have made a commitment this year to rest on Sundays.

My familiar but new today was Rachel stealing the household gods unbeknownst to anyone, and then concealing her sin. The desperation of that action (rather than the action itself) especially following her willingness to cut ties with her father and go with Jacob is what caught my attention today. What might have started as a simple attempt to keep a connection with the home of her childhood might have had enormous consequences had Laban found his idols.

New to me was the concept Laban sold his daughters - reduced their rights of inheritance - had not seen it that way!

Of lesson to me is to make treaties and keep peace. Realize that even in hardship God is blessing us; even when we meddle, compete or deceive he makes lemonade out of our lemons. His love is so strong!

When we keep our hearts right (and even when we don't) God is there to deposit blessing into our lives,and into the lives of those we touch.

How humbling is that!

In addition to what I have taken away, Wendy's teaching and Joy's additional information on conflict resolution has just blessed my socks off!

Everyone enjoy a fruit-full day!

Liz
Alaska

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace and Peace ~ we were posting at the same time!

You have blessed me as well with your thoughts:

"I am glad I serve a God that cannot be stolen. I also need to search my heart that I truly only worship the one true God and not harbor any idols. El Shaddai is enough."

Most excellently stated!

Amen!

Liz
AK

Anonymous Mandy, IN said...

I am a cross-over from the daily devotionals website, joining you on my second year on this journey. God answered my prayer to place me in a bible study. I so appreciate the video.. I now feel more connected and a part of things. Much thanks.

Blogger Anna said...

It still amazes me that Jacob could make love to all those women and father children with them and it was acceptable.

I can definitely understand Jacob's desire to set out on his own with his family. He definitely lived with his father-in-law for long enough.

I also thought it interesting that Laban had idols...hmmmm....

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I TOO AM GLAD I SERVE A GOD WHO CANNOT BE STOLEN!


Wonderful statement!

Morgen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone above - I can't remember who, I read it at snack time earlier - got me thinking about Jacob. He was easily influenced by his mother and deceived his father, cheating his own twin brother out of an important blessing, making him seem impatient and without a tried-and-true definition of truth and honesty. Yet he lived for twenty years under Laban, seemingly very patient and willing to take whatever Laban gave him. What a change! Except for putting the branch in the trough, he seems to have been honest, forthright, and hardworking. Even after leaving he continues to be peaceful and willingly enters into a covenant with Laban.

What a change! Maybe it was his encounter/dream with God on his way there? I hope that I can learn to be as patient and forgiving with others as Jacob was with Laban (and I hope that God is just as patient with me as I learn this, because I know I'm not there yet!).

Blogger Amanda said...

Wendy-Thank you for your thought today. They hit a bull's eye for me today. I've been struggling for a couple of weeks now with a long term conflict with my father. I have worked this over and over in my mind, to no avail. I have prayed about it and sought counsel elsewhere, too. But today, the light finally shown in. Leave it. Give it to God, and be at peace. I understand now, the Holy Spirit saying it is ok, to let it go. Thank you. I am feeling so blessed by this journey and it has only been a few steps.

Blogger Wendy Pope said...

Amanda
So glad you heard the Spirit's voice concerning your situation.

Be Blessed-build your monument-and be in peace.

Wendy, great P31 devotion today! I came to that same conclusion just before Christmas. I have been hoarding a gift (or at least a calling) to do something, and even though I'd done it many times before, I was still scared. God knows I need reminding because of my doubts!

Also, just FYI, have heard rave reviews about the readings you're leading. One of my co-op moms was telling the other moms how much she has been learning :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ladies,

I'm so enjoying the journey!

A thought from the weekend, Jacob's statement about If God will be with me and If God will provide(28:20-21)is a clear indication that he was still learning the God of his Father Abraham. It takes intimate fellowship and constant communication with God to trust him like Abraham trusted him. Once we are convinced God is indeed who he says he is, we will take away the "ifs" of God's promises and believe him as Jesus said for the works he has already done.

New for me: 31:24 God appeared to Laban and told him, I'm warning you, leave Jacob alone! I believe God is still drawing that line in the sand when the enemy, no matter what form he presents himself in, thinks he can do whatever he wants to his children.

31:42 In fact, if the God of my father had not been on my side....It gives me great peace to know God is on my side, so no matter what life brings, I will always be in the majority as long as it's me and God on the same side!

Blessings!

Debbie - North Carolina

PS - Thanks for the prayers, my grandmother was placed in a nursing home that we believe she will get the best of care.

Blogger Debra said...

Wendy,
I was led to start reading today. I was still thinking/praying on it. Thank You Lord for such a great bible teacher to learn from.
Debra

Blogger Marianne said...

...Happy Monday - rain here in the Pacific Northwest...

I just want to encourage those of you who, like me, feel intimidated by the words of wisdom that just seem to flow from the other fellow traveler's - share what is on your mind and heart and God will use it bless and further His Kingdom!

I am blessed by insights shared by Wendy and you all - I will end a reading and sometimes have very little that I feel is worth posting about. Then, reading and praying, I am blessed! Thank you!

My nugget is Genesis 31:42 "But God sees..." El-roi ... no matter what we are enduring, God is all-seeing, all-knowing, all-loving.

Looking forward to the days ahead in His word,
Marianne

PS: I also love what Grace and Peace shared as her application. Thank you!

Blogger mary said...

Thank you Wendy for a great teaching today. I was blessed by your teaching to change my way of looking at conflict.
1)heard in a new way; Gen 31:4 Jacob called Rachel and Leah out to the field where he was watching his flock. He didn't ask the two concubines/servants/slaves.(Zilpah & Bilhah). Thought that was interesting.
2)did not know; Genesis 30:27 Laban used divination (by supernatural means) to know that he was blessed by God through Jacob. And Gen 31:24 God appeared to Laban in a dream and told him, “I’m warning you—leave Jacob alone!” Does God use other people's faith to show them, HIM? Or truths of HIM? Something to pray about.
3)nugget; Gen 31:19,30,32 The stolen idol was hidden. Do I try to keep something hidden from God (not like He doesn't know anyway lol!)? Lord help me to bring out the hidden thoughts & place them at the foot of Your cross.
Blessings & Peace Mary

Blogger Micca said...

What a rich teacher you are! Thank you for sharing your gift with so many. I have been enlightened!
much love...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The message was great today, I wish I would have saw it before I had a family meeting with my son and daughter-in-law. I am praying for peace, there is a lot of conflict between this son and my oldest son who is recently divorced. A lot of anger from my oldest son and it is causing problems and this meeting was to clear some of this and issues i have as a mother-in-law. Please pray for me that I can find peace and let all of this go. If I would have seen this before the meeting I may not have said as much.....I'm sorry now for all that I said and shouldn''t have...again, please pray for me....SB

Blogger Diane said...

All I could think of as I read today was "Dysfunction Junction!" Interesting that Jacob was deceitful to his father and brother and then had to endure such deceit from his father in law. Also, that Jacob worked for Laban for 20+ years and Laban still had the nerve to call his daugthers, grandchildren & flocks his.

Something new to me...why, when Rachel was sitting on the idols, did she refer to her father as "Sir". She had to be in her 30's by that time. And she earlier showed her disregard for her father by agreeing to leave without as much as a word to him.

My nugget - not to forget God's promise of protection. In yesterday's reading we see God speak to Jacob in a dream about always being with him and protecting him, yet Jacob felt it was necessary to 'sneak' his wives & children away from Laban. How often do I avoid conflict because it's easier?

One more thing about the stone monuments. My son just got back from a trip to New Zealand where they took a huge hike (11 miles) and at one point in the hike they came to a place where hikers before them had made little stone piles as they were on their journey. He also noticed something similar when hiking in Utah last year. I just wonder if there is a connection at all..

Blessings to you all...I am loving this!

Diane

Blogger Jekka said...

Wendy,
Thank you for the videos. I started this journey last year and failed halfway through. So I am starting over again and your videos are SO helpful. I can't wait to hear what you say and not just read it.
Today's reading brought back a message that my pastor gave some time back. He brought out the thought that others are blessed by God through us. Laban was blessed BECAUSE OF Jacob. As I read today, I realized that Laban worshipped false gods but he was still blessed by God and spoken to by God. God blesses the unbeliever and the unsaved just as he does those who believe. All are His children.
I haven't read any of Beth Moore, so I'm not sure what others were referring to when they mentioned the "what about me robot" but that statement was the first that jumped out at me. So many times we give and give until we are just spent. However, like He did for Jacob, God provides us the wisdom to increase our wealth.
In the passage from Genesis 31:1-21, like Marianne, I wrote down "God Sees". God knows. He knows the good, the bad, the hurt, the pain, the joy. It's hard to be happy when others seem to be doing better than us. We compare instead of share. We compare ourselves and our situations to someone else instead of sharing in their joy and happiness.
In Genesis 31:22-42 Jacob quickly tells Laban to search for the missing idols without knowing that Rachel had taken them. I was reminded that we need to search for truth before speaking in judgement.
Thank you Elle Elle for reminding me that we serve a God who cannot be stolen.
Blessing to youa ll

Blogger Amanda said...

My nugget today, comes from a collection of verses. Everyday as I have been reading, I find myself reapeating the same phrase, "How can such man of God do (fill in the blank)." Personally, I get trapped in the thinking that God only uses "the best" to accomplish His will. And if that is the case, then I have nothing to offer. This is not the case, at all. I will rejoice in the fact, that even in my many imperfections, God will use me. I can obey and follow Him, and he will work out the details.

Anonymous Aramaic Scholar said...

One of the previous comments noted that Laban spoke Aramaic and Jacob spoke Hebrew, and how they could speak to each other. Abraham's family came from "beyond the river" so they came from an Aramaic-speaking area. But Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would have understood Aramaic, even though they choose to speak Hebrew, the Holy Language.

Post a Comment

Home