"David remarked longingly to his men, "Oh, how I would love some of that good water from the well by the gate in Bethlehem."
1 Chronicles 11:17
1 Chronicles 11:17
My Take Aways
Something Old:
Never take for granted what I have been given and always been willing to pour it out as a sacrifice of praise to Him.
Something New:
2 Sam 2:2-17
The leaders of the armies were waring for the sport of it. How sad to me.
Something to Do:
Praise Him for the good water I have already been given.






30 Comments:
Wendy, I usually check the vlog before I go to sleep. Your post today was so touching, I cried along with you. Thank you for sharing that story. I am waiting for the good water of a marriage where Christ is the center, where my husband is the spiritual leader, where we pray together, serve together, go to missions trips together, study the Word together. For us to both grow in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior. I long for that day when we can grow old together, be madly in love with each other and on fire for the Lord and His work. That's the good water I long for.
Thanks, Wendy. Off to finish the readings - and dream of that day in the future. Goodnight & I'll see you all in the morning.
Wendy,
Thank you; you blessed me with your words and your openness. The song blessed me too! Blessed be the Name of the Lord!
Jesus; the Living Water, from Bethlehem.
Rev. 21:6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.
John 4:14: but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
John 7:37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink."
I was interested in both the Three, valiant men who stood alone and fought for God, and the three who went to Bethlehem's well for David. Regarding the first Three, they are an example of the renewing strength of the Lord. As Matthew Henry says:
Thus, in the service of God, we should keep up the willingness and resolution of the spirit, notwithstanding the weakness and weariness of the flesh—faint, yet pursuing (Jdg. 8:4), the hand weary, yet not quitting the sword.
Also:
How great soever the bravery of the instruments is, the praise of the achievement must be given to God. These fought the battles, but God wrought the victory.
The three who went to the well were apparently another three. The request, the conquest, the sacrifice are all so full of imagery! In the pouring out of the water, I see the pouring out of the blood and water from our sweet Saviour as a pure and holy sacrifice for me. The act of pouring out water as a "drink offering" (Num. 28:7) before the Lord is also illustrated in two other places in the OT;
1 Sam 7:6 When they had assembled at Mizpah, they drew water and poured it out before the Lord. On that day they fasted and there they confessed, "We have sinned against the Lord." And Samuel was leader of Israel at Mizpah. (This is where Samuel first became Israel's judge). And,
Lamentations 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint from hunger at the head of every street. (Lamentations, a poem written by the Prophet Jeremiah to mourn the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 B.C. We reach it in our readings in August).
Finally Paul writes in Phil. 2:17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.
Matthew Henry again:
Fifthly, Thus he would honour God and give glory to him. The water purchased at this rate he thought too precious for his own drinking and fit only to be poured out to God as a drink-offering. If it was the blood of these men, it was God’s due, for the blood was always his. Sixthly, Bishop Patrick speaks of some who think that David hereby showed that it was not material water he longed for, but the Messiah, who had the water of life, who, he knew, should be born at Bethlehem, which the Philistines therefore should not be able to destroy. Seventhly, Did David look upon that water as very precious which was got at the hazard of these men’s blood, and shall not we much more value those benefits for the purchasing of which our blessed Saviour shed his blood? Let us not undervalue the blood of the covenant, as those do that undervalue the blessings of the covenant.
I leave you with Revelation 7:17; our hope:
For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."
Karen, Basel
I woke with a song going through my head this morning. it was Some Golden Daybreak.
Some glorious morning,
sorrow will cease,
Some glorious morning
all will be peace
Heartaches all ended
schooldays all done,
Heaven will open
Jesus will come.
Some golden daybreak
Jesus will come,
Some golden daybreak
Battles all won,
He'll shout the victory
Break thru the blue
Some golden daybreak
for me for you.
All I could think of was crawling into His lap like a child, and Him putting His arms around me and holding me close. I could call Him Abba, Daddy, and He would give me a big hug. I'm still crying, I can't seem to stop! Oh, I can't wait, some Golden Daybreak, He is going to come for ME! I'm starting my day on a high...a spiritual high!.
Jan TN
Good Morning on this brand new Tuesday - Morgen, Monday is behind us, so you're good today! smile!
Wendy, you touched my heart, and the Jesus in you, blesses me so! Morning by morning He blesses those who seek Him, those who want to know Him more.
Today, dear friends may we be "filled with the Holy spirit, singing psalms and hymms and spiritual songs among [ourselves], and making music to the Lord in [our] prayers. And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph. 5:19 & 20).
Hi Wendy and girlfriends,
I don't blog much but wanted to tell you Wendy how touched I am by your story.
Grace and Peace your comment put into words what I pray for the good water of a marriage that is "God-centered."
As I have been going through turbulent times at work, I know that I can cling to the rock, my savior and pray for those who attacking me. Through this study I have become closer to God and I know that the enemy is not happy. But I praise the Lord because I am on his journey.
Yours in Christ,
Candy
Wendy, thanks for the great song. I've been humming it ever since I heard it.
Special prayers today for Beau, (Jill, any update?) and for Gabriel and his family as he undergoes a bone scan and extraction of marrow.
Paola, I am praying for your husband to have no anxiety, but rather, focus and peace in his last few days of preparing for the exam.
To last night's blogger -- Linda, Amy, Dixie and Jeanne -- you blessed us with your words and insights. Thank you, dear friends.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in sunny but chilly New England
Hi Everybody,
Just slipping on here for a t-bit. Thanks Wendy!!
...Jennifer your comment yesterday. Just want you to know how it helped me in a bad day. I got a chuckle. Your the greatest. You showed me yeaterday to look on the bright side of the problems we endure....Oh Jenn thanks so much I needed this yesterday. Busy day nothing went right....tried several times to send you the article....couldn't do it. Took sons tux back yesterday after his prom....they wern't open yet....after I picked the boys up from school...when was back in the garage air started leaking out of the front tire....completely flat.....was just one of those days. Needed all of you and thanks Jenn You made me feel better. Your a blessing. Look on the bright side. There is good too everything.
"This water is precious to ME!!
Rhonda
Good morning Ladies!
Oh how I feel we are so blessed to be part of such a special blog!!
I am so comforted by learning more and more about our Lord and His word. I am so encouraged to continue to read through the passages each day because I look forward to the comments and the Vlog.
Wendy today's vlog was very touching , it really spoke to my heart. Sometimes we think we sacrifice so much and then realize with God's tenderness and mercy, the magnitude of what His sacrifice was for us. Oh how refreshing it is that we can take part of the Living waters!!!
In reading today what David decision to pour out the water as a sacrifice to the Lord. I was prompted to think back and pray on what areas I need to ask God to come into my life in. That He search me and that I be a obedient child of Him.
Ladies, I am in the middle of negotiating for a job offering. I have been working as a diabetes educator consultant for the past 7-8yrs when my husband were about to have our first daughter. I felt that it would be better for me to work from home and/or do speaking events rather than work a Full time job. Now I have been praying for a change in jobs and the Lord blessed me with a part time job offer that I am negotiating salary . My husband has clearly stated that he does not want me to go full time and I am in agreement with him. Now that I am talking monies with the HR dept my husband does not want me to settle for a suboptimal salary. Lord knows how much I want this position but I need to be obedient to Him and my husband. Ladies pls pray for me that the Lord guide me through the salary negotiations these coming days. I have now asked God for a job opportunity and He has provided me with one and I want to be faithful to Him and my husband that I will not risk my obligations as a mother and wife b/c of the job responsibilities that I may have to take. Pls pray for me that I have the wisdom to follow what the Lord wants for me and has made known to me through my husband.
Thank you Michelle for your prayers for my husband. Ladies pls continue to pray for his promotional exam, His exam is on Saturday APril 24 th. Pls pray that he be determined to continue studying all the procedures and that he have focus and good rest for the 5hour exam coming up.
I thank you all ladies for your commitment to prayer, your encouraging blogs and your insightful comments.
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Paola from Long Island :)
Ohh Ladies by the way, I have Praise Report!
Thank you for your prayers for my husband's tinnitis, it has diminshed significantly to the point where it is very minimal and it is hardly a distraction to him.
I am continual prayer for you and your families, ladies. Karen, Michelle, Grace and Peace , Rhonda, Dixie, to name a few.
Thank you again!
What a wonderful God we serve!! Blessed me the name!
Amen!
Paola from Long Island!!
To love our enemies... I need to remember they are put into my life by God: the “mad men” in my life, those who rub me wrong, seek trouble or act differently from me, are still doing the best that they are capable of. “Forgive them for they know not what they do…” I must look upon them with an open heart, with compassion, look beyond the irritations for their goodness, and love them no matter how hard it is. I can’t see into their hearts to know the “why,” but they are our brothers and sisters in Christ who are also finding their way, placed by God to teach me. It’s also my responsibility to do my best to others, and not be selfish, prideful, manipulative, or giving of myself half-heartedly. If I respect the mad men in my life for the potential they represent and keep my heart open to these people, I can give my relationships to God to manage, and trust that He will build the bridges in His time.
Thank you Wendy for inspiring me with a life-changing story from your journey! The waters in my life are sometimes tepid or even murky. I need to not settle for this. There is so much more! But it takes work and desire to sweeten and clarify, through Him.
Blessings,
Jacque
My blessing to all you sisters in Christ is verse 6: May the Lord be loyal to you in return and reward you with his unfailing love!
I know you spend a lot of time studying scripture and looking up references. Thank you, dear ones.
In verse 26 Abner says, "Must we always be killing each other? Don't you realize that bitterness is the only result?When will you call off your men from chasing their Israelite brothers?"
I need to be careful of my words, which can kill the testimony of another. It does result in bitterness between those involved.
Nowdays people speak before thinking. We choose to forgive and not be bitter.I heard once that forgiving another is treating them as if the incident never happened.Our sweet Jesus is that way.
I'm off to another dr. appointment.
Have a blessed day all.
Linda from Ark.
Morning GIGs~
G&P I think what you wrote is the heart of so many of us. I wrote down word for word what you posted on here and I will be praying this tomorrow for all of us. That we will all have a marriage that is God-centered and where our husbands lead. That we will love each other more deeply because we are both connected not only as husband and wife, but as brother and sister. I want this as much as you do, as I know do others. My prayer is that one day my husband and I will even renew our vows both as Christians, following the Lord.
This morning as I got back home from taking my son to school my mind went to Psalm 42:1-2a, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God, my soul thirsts for God, for the living God." There was an urgency there to pray before doing anything else. I can't explain it to you all in words, but it was an overwhelming feeling. My soul thirsting for that good water, the Only water that will ever satisfy.
Like Linda, my nugget was 2 Samuel 2:26a, "Must we always be killing each other? Don't you realize bitterness is the only result?" I thought about our relationships, especially our marriages and how we can tear down and kill with our thoughts and actions. Bitterness results after doing that over and over. We need to build each other up and not tear each other down.
You all have a blessed day. I am cleaning out kitchen cabinets today- what fun huh? :)
Brandee, TN
Oh G&P, I meant to tell you I got an email that I will get my OT Vol 1 commentary next week!
Wendy thank you for opening up and sharing with us, its nice to dr the work God has done in your life.
Im doing this on my phone, so it's a little difficult, but I wanted to comment. I'm really enjoying learning about david and the stories that actually are so little familiar to me.
One thing that has hit me about the MANY similarities between Jesus and David is what my pastor calls "already but not yet". Referring to being allay announced and appointed but having to wait a LONG time before claiming his kingdom, just like Jesus is reigning in heaven until the time is right to take his kingdom here.
I know that isn't super relevant to todays reading, but I felt like sharing that.
I was surprised by David pouring the water out, but inspired to look at myself and where I could be pouring out things I hold precious as offerings to God.
Have a great day ladies!
Wow! Powerful vlog today Wendy. Thank you so much for showing us your "misty" side.
"The seeking is the reward"...you said that at the end of the video and that really captured my mind. Isn't that absolutely true?
I loved the foretaste of Jesus in the same verse you picked. The water; the gate; Bethlehem; the precious blood; the offering. Amen Jesus and bless You for blessing me with Your sacrifice. May I pour out sacrifices of praise to you all day.
Morgen
Paola - praying for discernment for you as you navigate the murky waters of salary negotiations. As you seek God, may you sense the direction to which He is leading you.
Brandee, yay! for the almost-there vol. 1 commentary. :) I hope you have stocked up on highlighters too. And thank you, sweet sister, for praying. I pray the same for you and John. Oh if we can only shake them up! But God has His timing and so we wait.
My nugget today was when David longed for the water from the well and The Three got it for him. Jon Courson said:
"How did the three mighty men break through to get water? The Bible doesn't say because breaking through the Philistines that plague you is something that cannot be programmed or preached. It is up to each one of us to seek the Lord and say, "Father, how do I break through? Show me my schedule, my priorities, my obligations that stand between us." I guarantee that if you ask the Lord to show you how to rearrange your schedule in order to break through the Philistines, He will." (p.955)
Courson summarized the attributes of The Three as follows:
"1. If you desire to be mighty for God, the first prerequisite is that you be a person of prayer - lifting up your hands 800 times (like Adino) if necessary until the enemy is defeated...[Some people ask why they have to keep praying? Why can't the Lord hear it the first time and answer it immediately] I suggest the reeason is because it is only as I pray repeatedly about a situation that I find my request wasn't the issue at all, that spending time with the Lord was the need of my soul.
"2. The second prerequisite is to be one whose hand cleaves to the sword like Eleazar. Are you wearing your bibles out?...You must be in the word consistently.
"3. The 3rd prerequisite as seen in Shammah's life is faithfulness in service. His job was to guard the beans and he did. What has the Lord given you to do? Maybe it's to change diapers in the nursery, to serve in a rest home, or to teach third grade Sunday school. Stand your ground even when everyone else splits.
"4. The final prerequisite is worship as demonstrated by David when he poured out the water as an offering." (p. 955)
Years ago I first read that David poured it out after the great lengths The Three did to get the water for him, I thought "oh, no - he's not honoring the sacrifice of those men." But as I mature in my faith, I realize that there is no greater honor than to have the things I have done, the trials that I been through be a sacrifice of praise to the Lord. What is amazing is that nothing we ever do can be good enough for the sacrifice He made yet He gladly accepts our sacrifice. It is like when your child makes a present for Mother's Day. To the world it may just be a mishmash of papers or popsicle sticks. But to us, it is the most precious thing. I think that's how God views our offerings.
"David took that which was most precious to him and offered it to the Lord. Some might say it was a waste, even as [Judas Iscariot] did when another poured out her most precious possession on the feet of the Son of David...Whatever you pour out to Jesus is never a waste. Others might say, "Be practical. That's a waste of time, or a waste of energy." But nothing you give to the Lord is ever a waste." (Jon Courson's Application Commentary Old Testament vol. 1, p.1116)
Have a blessed day, everyone!
All I can say is WOW!! What a beautiful message, Wendy. Spoken from you heart and expressing my own desire for my relationship with Christ.
Thanks so much for sharing your story.
What a wonderful time I just had listening to the vlog on my lunchtime! Wendy you brought me to the time that happened to me. When you accept Christ early in life you don't have that same feeling as those who have been brought out of turmoil and tough times but that does not mean that we don't have a story to tell. Thanks Wendy for sharing - it surely blessed me today. My relationship with Him is growing every day because of this Study and because of each of you sharing with me. I don't get a chance to post a lot but I read what each of you post and have received a blessing every day. Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday. Off to teach my Bible Study at 6 PM. Having a great time learning new ladies and enjoying old friends.
Hey y'all! Wendy, I'm crying right there with you...I have been in that same place...Beth Moore in Charlotte many years ago, and I didn't get it! Through study and prayer and being still before Him...and by what you said last summer at She Speaks, God is speaking to my heart in big ways. I am a work in progress, and I am learning to be OK with that! PTL!
OK, Brandee and G&P--what commentary are y'all talking about? I have been doing some research and am very interested in a particular set...thankfully, my b'day is coming! Please share!! :)
Paola and othere GIGs--I'm praying for y'all! What a blessing it is.
I too loved the water from the well by the gate nugget. I thought of when Jesus asked the woman of Samaria to get Him a drink and what transpired after that.
Also, being a runner :), my heart was a little disturbed when Abner killed Asahel for chasing him! ( 2Sam. 2:18-23). I guess he felt threatened, but, mercy! All they did was fight!
Y'all have a gret day! Wendy, sending you a hug!!
Love ya!
Susan
Wendy, wonderful story! It's so encouraging to hear about other women who have it together now but maybe didn't always - there's always room for us to grow closer.
As I finished watching the vlog, Casting Crowns' 'Praise You in the Storm' lodged itself in my head. David really was praising in a storm when he poured out that special water while hiding in a cave, didn't he? I have no big storm in my life now - just a few microscopic pieces of sand that are rubbing me the wrong way in my off mood this week - and maybe I need to go find something to sing about to turn my attitude around. He has given me plenty to sing about!
Oh, and I love how everyone's talking about starting their prayer time with praise music. I've never done that and have to be careful not to wake the kids in the morning, but if Dave doesn't take my iPod to run with tomorrow AM, I think I'll try it! :-)
Susan,
The commentary that Brandee is waiting for is the Jon Courson commentary that I use. Here is the link to the commentaries. Scroll down to the 5th, 6th, & 7th books. He has 2 volummes for the OT and 1 for the NT.
http://www.joncourson.com/store/books/books.asp
It's also available over at Amazon but Brandee had to wait for hers for a few weeks.
Here's another suggestion for your upcoming birthday and for anyone else who wants to dig deeper into the Word. Consider enrolling at Koinonia Institute. You will learn so much and they will open up the bible to you. You cannot even believe the things that are in there - the meanings, the symbolism. And once you are a student, your little ones under 18 can enroll for free.
http://www.studycenter.com/
Here's another:
One KI classmate mentioned Logos 4. It's a bible study software which incorporates the inductive study method symbols (Precept Ministries) etc. I watched the video and am seriously considering getting the "Bible Study" version. There are other versions like Silver and Gold but it's pricey and I'm not thinking of being a pastor anytime soon. :D Runner Mom, I don't know if you remember but I emailed you a while back asking about the inductive study. Now, it's back on my radar again. Ok, I'm rambling on but I just wanted to share my excitement. Anything to get us deeper into the Word, right? Oh, and happy birthday in advance!
Love you all!
thank you for today, Wendy. I want some water. I wan to feel like you do.
I love you!!
Ruth
One thing that was new to me in today's reading was that Ishbosheth, Saul's son, reigned over Israel for two years while David Reigned over Judah (2 Sam. 2:10).
Wendy, I was moved by your testimony. I think we've all had those amazing experiences of God moving in our lives. I know on Sunday I felt the Spirit so strongly I just praised Him.
Now I must go get ready for Bible class. My pastor is teaching on the seven sections of the first resurrection in Revelation.
Hugs to all and prayers.
Amy,here's a suggestion for you if your husband does take your ipod in the morning. Just start singing to God. I start singing praise songs I know from church. Sometimes I find myself making up a song as I keep singing. These are times when I wish my tape recorder still worked. I know what you mean about not wanting to wake up your kids in the morning. I live in an apartment and you can hear through the walls if your neighbor is too loud so I sing softly or play a cd or tape with the volume not to loud.
Good morning everyone.Here its wednesday morning.
takings from todays reading:
1 After this, David asked the Lord, “Should I move back to one of the towns of Judah?”
“Yes,” the Lord replied.
Then David asked, “Which town should I go to?”
“To Hebron,” the Lord answered.
I Loice, i am a very task oriented person who thinks she can do anything she wants to achieve. i only go to my God when things become too hard and difficult. i have always wondered when friends tell me-they are waiting on the Lord for this issue or that. i have asked them, cant you make up your mind? the lord gave you brains to use not to bother him with every other issue in life. When i make those decisions and things go wrong-of course i quickly run to the Lord.
But here i find David, A man anointed to be king asking the Lord, should i go or not? where do i go?i am thinking, what on earth, Saul is already dead-why not just go and establish his kingdom?
DaVid knew better-to seek the face of God in every situation.
Lord i need to learn o seek after you in every area of my life.
This morning like with so may other ladies in this group, we seek you to bring the sweet waters in our marriages. to Bring in our Hubbies and become the anoited priests in our households. i for one Lord has felt over the years like this is too hard for You to do in My home and have totally closed that area off. Lord this morning, i want to taste the sweet waters of praying as a family, having spiritual guidance in my home, i long to taste the day my husband would give us a word of wisdom from You and tells us-This is what the Lord wants for this Household. Father is this possible? I know you are well able to do this and i can only wait for your time.
In Jesus name.
Sorry too much rambling...
good day
loice-melbourne
Thank you all so much for your prayers for 4 yr old Beau. He came through the surgery successfully yesterday. The Doc's were able to remove most of the brain tumor, but decided to leave a small strip that was too deep to remove without also taking brain tissue. They (all 3 doctors) agreed that the tumor was not cancerous and that removing that little bit could cause more harm than good. Beau woke up and recognized everyone and told his family he was hungry. As always God continues to work out good things in the storm. The family has been very touched by the prays of thousands they will never meet. God is Good!
I'm sharing that place with Grace & Peace. The place where my husband is by my side and Christ is our center.
Wendy, what a beautiful vlog today. You give us so much each day and we are rich in your teachings.
Old: David is weary from the constant battles. I can only imagine how tough this must have been for David and his warriors.
New: David is King! It's not a life of luxury, is it?
To Do: Continue to share the readings with friends and family.
Thank you Wendy for being so vulnerable and sharing such a wonderful and personal story.
Old: I'm ashamed to admit that when I read that David poured out the cup of water, my first response was anger for those 3 warriors who risked their lives to please the king. I might have been upset if I was one of them. After listening to Wendy, I once again realized how immature I can be in my feelings and thoughts when it comes to my Chrisian walk sometimes. (Not beating myself up, just realizing how far I have to go.)
New: I didn't realize that David was not the only King over all of Israel for those first 2 years.
To Do: In all my daily actions I need to choose humility instead of pride (even backwards pride). I need to be willing to pour out that cup of water as a sacrifice to the Lord. I must also be willing to let others pour out that cup I may have brought them in the end knowing that I did it for Him not myself.
Hi Everyone,
Wendy, listening to you asking us to drank of the good water I was reminded of Isaiah 12:3-5
Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.
Grace & Peace, I am right there with you agreeing that our husbands will become one with us spiritually and become the priest of our families.
Amy, you will be surprised at how immune your children will become to hearing you pray. When my children were young they told me when they heard me praying in the morning they knew they had at least 30 more minutes to sleep. When my oldest went to college her first year, she told me one of the things she missed most about home was hearing me praying in the morning. She even asked me to make a tape of me praying for her.
Jeanne, what part of NC do you live in? It may be cheaper to do a book swap. If you are interesed email me at. deborah.p.mckee@us.army.mil
Blessings!
Debbie - North Carolina
Hi ladies,
So happy to be sitting down and reading through all the comments. Wendy, thank you for sharing your story and showing your heart. I feel like I am having a lot of light bulb moments since I started reading the word. I listen to K LOVE and I find myself raising my arms up and singing with my eyes closed feeling the love of my Lord and Savior.
2 Samuel 3:1 "That was the beginning of a long war of those that were loyal to Saul and those loyal to David" It is a never ending battle and we see this in our world today over land and religion. It is very sad.
We see how genuine David is. He is genuinely happy that Saul and his sons have been buried properly. David knows he will become king, but he does not become high and mighty.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday! Loved all of your comments!
Kristin-Wisconsin
Post a Comment
Home