The Power Of The Name
"David replied to the Philistine, "You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of Heaven's Army-the God of the Armies of Israel, whom you have defiled."
1 Samuel 16:45




My Take Aways:

Something Old:
I should not allow anyone or anything keep from accomplishing what God gives me the confidence and competence to complete. The power is in the name...

Something New:
1 Samuel 19:12
Saul's daughter had idols in her home.
I had forgotten how "mad" Saul had become and how many times he attempted to kill David.

Something to Do:
Worship His Name:

The song end with "give me strength for another day." He is our Strength!



20 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

Michelle, you had asked if the coming of Jesus Christ ended the kind of "justice" we see in the Old Testament. You said that you sure don't want to be judged on the behavior of your forefathers, or even your mother or father.

Michelle, we are judged as individuals. Here are two Scriptures to read. I used the KJV but you can look them up in another version if you need a clearer understanding. Ezekiel 18:2 is talking about how the Israelites sinned and their children had to pay for the sins.

Ezekiel 18
1 The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying,
2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
3 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Keep me in your prayers. I've been getting a little depressed the past week. I know I should be able to pray my way through it. Perhaps not being able to spend time with anyone and being in the house so much is part of it. Also I've been missing my Spiritual mom and probably won't get to see her until July. She doesn't live near me. Ok, I'm sentimental but she shows me so much love and makes me feel loved like no one else has, a mother's love.
Also I've been fighting a headache that just started getting a little worse. I don't get headaches that often. I'm still not sleeping very well even though I've been taking Melatonin some nights.

My prayers are with you all.

Blogger Michelle said...

Jennifer Renee, I was just coming on to post that I had "a Jennifer Renee moment" this morning -- and there was a message that God had asked you to give me!!! He is using you in mighty ways through our wonderful fellowship here. I thank you so much for finding the right scripture for me, to eliminate my confusion!

Now, on to my "J-R moment." Yesterday you took away from the reading the same things Wendy did, and today so did I! I felt today's reading was wonderful -- a balm to my soul. I wrote Psalm 59:16-17 in my journal (in the glittery pink pen I got at Central Baptist last Saturday :) So here's my nugget - and it's a big one!

"But as for me I will sing about your power.
Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love
For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress
O my strength, to you I sing praises for you, O God, are my refuge
The God who shows me unfailing love" (Psalm 59:16-17)

My to do: Remember all the times in my life that God has protected me, when He has equipped me to do what He asked me to do, and when He rescued me when I failed. TRUST that the Lord is my protector and that through His strength I can get through life's stormy times and painful times and anxious times.

Wendy, the song video was the icing on the delicious cake today. Thank you, and God bless you all.

Jennifer and Jodie, peace be with each of you today, my dear friends.

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Brandee said...

Signing in to get posts via email...will comment here in a little bit :)

Blogger Michelle said...

P.S. for Jennifer Renee---I remember you said you enjoyed the sound of the birds in Wendy's outdoor vlogs. Here is a link to a few minutes of lovely morning birdsong I found on Youtube. (Thanks again for teaching me the cut and paste shortcuts that allow me to get these links now!)Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHZ3LU73U0&feature=PlayList&p=F356B6FBB319386B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Amy said...

Ooh, there are so many good things in today's reading!

Just a few of my faves ... my son is awake again! ...

1 Sam. 18:15-16 As long as we're following God's plan, we don't need to worry what the people around us think - even if they get upset, mean or try to stop us. God will make His plan succeed. :-)

1 Sam. 19:13 Why were there idols in the house of DAVID???

1 Sam 17:40 David didn't wait for Goliath to demand an opponant, and he didn't hide or run away. When hsi preparations were complete, he started out for the battle - and then later it says that he even RAN to Goliath! We don't need to fear the hard times or run away from them, because God uses them to make us stronger and more like Him - but even better, He will be right there with us through the whole thing.

Taking my kids on an overnight 'adventure' in the Triangle tonight. I'm hoping that it doesn't rain and that we can find a cool park - maybe Duke Gardens - for some play time and a picnic.

We're working on your niece's project today, too, Jennifer Renee, and will get it in the mail tomorrow. We're having so much fun with it! :-) I miss this sort of thing.

Anonymous Lori said...

Sweet Wendy, How could you have known, - silly me, the Spirit in You led you today...the song! Oh my goodness, your message oh, my goodness. Today many of us are gathering to pray for our husbands (Brandee's blog)...we're doing this every Wednesday. Your song, is just what our group needs, as we are fasting and praying between breakfast and dinner.

From the song..."Give me strength for another day" He is our strength when we feel weak, girls! He is our source of inspiration. We will call on His precious name all day long! I love this song, and most likely will be pushing the replay button throughout today!

GOOD READING today!!! Our battles belong to the LORD. Period. David knew this. He had faith and confidence in his Father. The blessings David received, that are ours for the taking too: "David continued to succeed in everything he did, for the LORD was with him" (18:14).

LORD, You are my strength. My love for you is unfailing, as I know you are standing next to me. Today, I will sing about your power. You will get the glory in all things! Praise Your Holy Name! Amen. (Psa 59)

Wow, lots to ponder over between these two opposite characters in today's reading. David the one I desire to model after, followed after God's heart. Saul, loses his focus and becomes prideful, jealous, angry, even to the point that he's plotting murder! We all know that a raging fire can start with a small spark. A jealous thought can turn into raging hatred, when we lose our focus and allow ourselves to NOT turn our thoughts over to God, and make them obedient to Him. And, we all know where our "thoughts" come from...yes, the enemy himself!

My To Do: Keep my thoughts obedient to You, dear Lord.

What a blessed day in the Word! Thank you Lord for this group!
Praying, Lori

Jennifer Renee, I'm going to SAP for you right now. This past week I've been praying that God would give you an encouraging person that you can meet with, a Believer friend that you can visit with in person, and a person that will encourage you and turn you always back to God's truth. Everyone needs a girlfriend like this. I believe that God will bring one to you and this is what I'm praying. And, while we are patiently waiting for Him to do this, you have got all of us on line to encourage you as much as you need! You just keep requesting your needs, and we will just keep SAP for you, sweetie-pie! smile!
By the way, your post spoke to me yesterday, and I am blessed by your daily words! Thank you!

Michelle, praying for Denise. Lord, may you equip her each moment so that she has what it takes to get through this ordeal. Be her portion. May your Holy Spirit fill every little space inside her, so that her fear and depression are no more. Equip the doctors today to care for her in the absolute best way, Your way. Lead them and guide them to be able to heal her. Take away her pain and be her strength. May your perfect will be accomplished through this beautiful lady.

Michelle, praying for you and those little ones too, and to have clear direction as you teach them. May you have discernment and insight from God to know how they need to be taught.

My journal is pink, now I just need a pink pen! smile...

LOVE YOU ALL! Lori

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Good morning, GIGS! I've been reading but have not had time to commentn this week. You are all in my prayers!

I have a question. In our reading yesterday or on Monday--my days are running together!--we read that DAvid played soothing music for Saul. Today, Saul wants to know whose child David is after he slays Goliath.It's as though he's never seen David before. Am I missing a chunk of SCripture somewhere? Any ideas??

Thanks for your input. Need to check on a sick child this morning! I thought virus season was over!

Y'all have a great day! Wendy, I'll listen to the song after lunch! Thank you!
Hugs!
Susan

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I love the songs of praise to our King Jesus! They are so refreshing to the soul. Praise the Name of Jesus1

Verse 45 in KJV says:
Then said David to the Philistine,"Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield; but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied."

Goliath challenged God.

Matthew Henry says:
* David praised the Lord.
*God delivered with a sling and
stone.
*All the earth knew there was a God in Israel, the only living and true God.
*The assembly and church knows the Lord saves not with sword and spear.
*The battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands.
*Jesus was stripped of His robe before the cross-He emptied Himself to enrich us.(Jonathan gave his royal robe to David.) He did more than Jonathan by clothing Himself with our rags. (sins)

I thought of Ephesians 6:10-18 telling us to put on the whole armor of God. It's a battlefield out there, so let's get armed with the Word of God.

In the Name of Jesus,
Linda from Ark.

Anonymous Lori said...

Michelle,
Just thinking, does Denise have an ipod by any chance? I have a small shuffle, that just clips on and holds tons of songs...if she could lay there in bed and have worship songs flowing through her body, maybe this would give her peace and comfort...just wondering if this may be something to help her...

Love, Lori

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

GIGs reading your comments is even better with the song playing in the background. I might have to do that from now on. :D

Jennifer Renee - doing a SAP for you too. Yes, come here for encouragement while you're waiting to meet with your spiritual mom again. We can be your surrogates.

Michelle - I agree with Lori. An ipod w/ praise songs or inspirational podcasts would help Denise greatly! When I had a procedure done a few years ago, listening to a podcast by Charles Stanley (about not being afraid) calmed me down tremendously.

Runner Mom, first, I hope your baby gets better soon. It's not fun when they're sick.
Saul not recognizing David confused me too. But Courson said some time has passed between the harp playing and the battle with Goliath that David has grown up. (That happens to me when I see my nieces - when did they grow up all of a sudden?)

On to today's reading:
I still get holy goosebumps as I read David's words to Goliath. "Thou comest to me with a sword and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel.."

I remember Chuck Missler saying that some people asked if David had so much faith, why did he pick 5 stones instead of just one? Because Goliath had 4 brothers.

Jon Courson compared David to Jesus: "Both David and Jesus singularly secured the victory. According to Goliath's own rules, one man would win the victory for the entire army (1 Sam 17:9) and according to the Word, Jesus won the battle for all mankind (John 12:32)" (p. 866)

He also compared Saul and David:
"In David's hand was a harp - an instrument of worship. In Saul's hand was a javelin - an instrument of war. In Saul's hand was an instrument of hurting. In DAvid's hand was an instrument of healing. What is in your hand - worship or war, healing or hurting? Saul and David are both leaders. Both have been anointed. But one is on his way down, while the other is on his way up. You can always tell if you're on the way up or onthe way down by what instrument is in your hand. A person who is losing the anointing, who is diminishing in calling, will be throwing spears, cutting people down with harsh words. Have you thrown a spear today? Have you made your "point?" When Saul threw the spear at David, this one who slew a giant did not throw it back." (p. 867) I shared that because it certainly convicted me. My mouth becomes a spear most times than a harp.

Lots to ponder today. Have a blessed one, all!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a real superhero story! I kept thinking about my three-year-old twin grandsons, who still wear their Spiderman and Captain America costumes daily, running around their house feeling so empowered, saying they will save Mommy! It is such an innocent confidence and strength, just as David had, not clothed with a superhero hood and web-maker, but with his shepherd's clothing, a bag of stones, and his Living God!

Oh, how to feel that strong and confident in my daily battles!

Ps 59:17 O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love.

Thank you for updates on your prayer requests-- I am so glad to keep you in my prayers.

Blessings,
Jacque

ps I used to play my harp to calm these little ones, but now--??? LOL!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David chose to put on the armor of God instead of man's armor. His faith was amazing. As my faith is growing I too am learning that the armor of God is much more effective than any other types of defense I've tried.

Praying today for hubby's. What a mighty God we serve; I picture Him bending down to hear my pleas and answering them with a giving heart.

Jennifer Renee - do you have much chance to get out of your home other than when someone takes you to church or such? Are you able to go on your own? I know that I would feel depressed too if I was in my house day after day after day. I wish you were closer so I could help you out! Hang in there and lean on Him. God has a purpose for you!

Praising Him all day long.
Morgen

Blogger Michelle said...

Lori and Grace & Peace, I thank God for you two daily! You are such kind, encouraging women. I can feel His light shining right out of your words on my computer screens (PTL for computers!) Thank you for once again sending me comforting words.

Lori, the YOUNG professionals at my school have finally decided to try some good, old fashioned discipline. So, we are not putting up with any nonsense and guess what? It's beginning to work!

Sending up a special prayer for you fasting wives right now.

Peace and Gratitude
Michelle in New England

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Grace and Peace--thank you!!! THe time frame makes perfect sense! I tried reading through the Bible ALONE last year and remembered that I questioned that then as well. GOd's timing is perfect.

I love my ipod shuffle....that is a great idea for Denise!

Jennifer Renee, girl, I wish that I were closer--I think we all do! Please know that you're on our hearts.

My youngest is a little better...he's "starving" which is a good sign--just not too much at one time.

Enjoy this beautiful day--Hugs! susan

Anonymous Karla said...

You ladies are inspirational to me...thank you. I appreciate your words and thoughts and prayers, and send prayers for you and thanks to you!
I too, love the joy that David had--he always praised his Father, even in tough times. I need to remember to praise Him always and be the light that God wants me to be.
Michal betrayed her father? Once she married, she was no longer Saul's responsibility, so how could she betray him? Saul was so full of pride and arrogance, that he tried to control everything and everyone.
Keep praise dripping from my lips, and don't be a downer...
Have a great day, and thanks again!
Karla, Morgantown, WV

Blogger Brandee said...

Finally back GIGs~
Got my son to school, did my walk with my friends then home to call my son's doctor about his nose. Still waiting on them to call, but I have talked to the nurse. My mom came up for about an hour, but I have had the time I was praying for to open up for me to pray today. I gave it to God and He worked it out :)

All you that are praying...I feel the power of God on us today. It overwhelmed me to the point of tears. God has opened up things to me that I never really put my finger on before. I felt Him whisper to me, and to us that He is coming! He hears and our prayers for salvation and growth are being heard. Know our whole list is being prayed over by name today.

I agree with Lori that the song today was perfect! Our praises touched His heart today. Only His Name can save.

When I read the reading, what popped off the page at me was David's choice of weapons. His sling and his stones. I got to thinking, we face our own Goliaths. The enemy puts them in our paths and when we come at them in the name of the LIVING God we will win our battles. How? By using our sling and our stones- His Word and our prayers. His Word as our prayers is a mighty weapon that will take down even the biggest of Goliaths! Today we are fighting the Goliaths of unbelief, darkness and the veils that Satan has blinded our dear spouses and loves ones with. We are using the Word and prayer and taking him down!

Slaying some Goliaths today~
Brandee

Blogger Brandee said...

Jennifer Renee and Michelle (Denise), prayers for you today as well.

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Brandee ~ "All you that are praying...I feel the power of God on us today. It overwhelmed me to the point of tears. God has opened up things to me that I never really put my finger on before. I felt Him whisper to me, and to us that He is coming!"
Shivers. I started tearing up as I read your words. All I can say is - amen and amen!

Anonymous Lori said...

Praise you, Lord for giving insight to the professional’s. Nothing works like old-fashioned discipline done with a loving tone, in a consistent manner! Allow them to let go of their pride and work together, to meet the needs of your very own children. May your perfect way topple over the team, as they seek to work out plans that are best for the little, 1st graders. Lord, whisper more wisdom into Michelle’s ears and give her opportunities to put your perfect plan into practice. Thank you dear Lord, that Michelle is not alone; You are standing there right next to her! In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Hugs - twin, Lori

Karen in Basel, praying for your brother today. I asked God to be his portion and love. I can’t imagine the loneliness he is experiencing without his sweet bride, Anne. Also, I’m hoping a job opens up for Bob.

Karen, in OR - we’re waiting to “see” you back. You are missed and kept tucked in our prayers, as well.

Jodie, you too.

Aahh BRANDEE! You summed it up-His Word and our prayers…why don’t we ALWAYS remember this? His Word – God talking to us, & our prayers – us communicating with Him… Ok, off to SAP, and give thanks to our Father. He has given us each other…and we are learning, and growing closer in our relationship to Him -through the wisdom He has given each sister!

{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS TO YOU RIGHT THIS MINUTE, Jennifer Renee! }}}}}}}}}}

And, just like you said dear G & P…so much to ponder today! Who’s got time for disobedient thoughts! Smile -Thank you LORD, for keeping us focused on YOU today!

Hugs, Lori

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Awww, Michelle, thanks for the kind words. :) just passing along what helped me. God gives us these experiences so we can help others when they go thru it. Don't you just love how with God nothing is ever wasted? (((HUGS))) to Denise.

Post a Comment

Home