"Jesus said to the people who believed in Him,
"You are truly my disciples if you remain
faithful to my teachings." John 8:31
"You are truly my disciples if you remain
faithful to my teachings." John 8:31
My Take Away
Something Old:
I am a disciple of Christ who can know truth and be free because I remain in His Word.
Everyone who asks-receives Everyone who seeks-finds
Everyone who knocks-the door will be opened.
Maybe not receive what I want
Maybe not find what I sought
Maybe not the door I wanted up open
But so much better!
Something New:
Luke 10:21
I love that Jesus was filled wit the joy of the Holy Spirit. This makes me smile.
Something to Do:Remain, dwell, continue, stay, and abide in God's Word.






13 Comments:
Jacque and all the GIGs
i have followed the struggles your family has had with Michael in the past few months and i can only shout hallehuyah!!!! to our father and King as He has awed us with His goodness and mercy towards Michael and the entire family. Isn't he a mighty God!!!!! what a mighty God we serve, We all bow down and say He is worthy all our worship, he is worthy all our honour adoration and worship. Lets live for him as he continues to display His power and majesty to a world that has closed its ears to Him. we need to scream aloud for anyone to hear that Our God Reigns in the universe and He alone holds the keys for it.
Loice-Kenya for holiday
Hey Loice, good to see you post! Kenya for holiday... how exotic! I hope you have (are having) a fabulous time!
Wendy, I too noticed "disciples" in today's reading, but the one I noticed was that He chose "seventy-two other disciples and sent them ahead to all the towns and places he planned to visit" (Luke 10:1-20). I never noticed this before! He give the 72 the same instructions He gave the 12 back in the readings on October 8th (Mark 6:7-13, Matt. 10:1-42, and Luke 9:1-6). When they report back, they are joyful that "even the demons obey" when they used the name of Jesus.
We have, over the course of the past year, looked at the Names of God. Today I looked up the word "name" in the Greek from this verse (Luke 10:17). The word is Onoma (Strong's 3686)and is derived from some other interesting words which I won't go into here. The definition that jumped of the screen at me is:
2. the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.
...All the thoughts, all the feelings which are aroused in the mind by mentioning, remembering and hearing the Name! Wow, that just really struck me today! And it adds another dimension to the fist stanza of the Lord's Prayer "Hallowed be Thy name!"
I loved the answer Jesus gave to the 72: "Yes,...I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning! Look I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy...Nothing will injure you. But don't rejoice because evil spirits obey you; rejoice because your names are registered in heaven."
There's that word again "name," but this time I think this definition applies:
3. persons reckoned up by name
"This form of speech is taken from the ancient custom of writing the names of all the citizens in a public register, that the several families might be known, and the inheritances properly preserved. This custom is still observed even in these kingdoms, though not particularly noticed. Every child that is born in the land is ordered to be registered, with the names of its parents, and the time when born, baptized, or registered; and this register is generally kept in the parish church, or in some public place of safety. Such a register as this is called in Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5, the book of life, i.e. the book or register where the persons were enrolled as they came into life." (Adam Clarke)
My to do: focus on the Name of Jesus and invoke it to counter the force of the Enemy in my life and in the lives of my family and friends. Rejoice not that I can do this and be successful, but rejoice that I am registered (my inheritance is recorded and preserved) in the book of life.
Have a wonderful Friday all!
Karen, Basel
Good morning gigs. I know I haven't commented in a while but I'm still here. I've been having a rough week. Since last week I haven't been able to sleep at night. I haven't been able to fall asleep until 4 to 6 in the morning and then I sleep most of the day and it starts all over again. Even last Thursday night when I took five Melatonin I still didn't fall asleep. My mind doesn't seem to want to shut down at night. My pastor has said to pray or talk to God when we're going to sleep. I do that but that means my mind is still working. Wendy, that's why you got that email from me so early in the morning.
On Wednesday I didn't share what awed me. The one I really remember took place over the Memorial weekend this year when my family went camping. On that Saturday morning while my dad drove my sister and her kids and husband upstream so they could canoe back to our camp I stayed in the tent and just listened to God's creation. It was so peaceful and I was amazed with how many different birds I heard praising God. That was something I'd never find living in the city.
Next Friday I will be going with a friend of mine from Ohio and a friend of hers to stay in my friend Karen's cabin in the woods. We will be there all day Saturday and Saturday night we will be going to a ministry dinner that my friend Holly and her husband are hosting. Their ministry is called Isaiah 61 and they are the ones whose ministry is deliverance. On Saturday night I will be staying with my spiritual mom while the other two women stay at the cabin. They'll be leaving early Sunday morning to come back home but I'm going to be staying with my spiritual mom until Monday.
I know I'm rambling. I had a rough evening yesterday. I was going to pay my cell and internet bill and found that it was about three times as much as it usually is. I was told I went over my allowed usage on the internet. I have wireless and I can't exceed 5 gigabits on the internet or email. They calculate the amount by the size(the amount of megabits for example) of the websites I visit. I've never gone over the amount nor did I know I had a limit and I don't know how this happen. This has caused me to have some financial frustration and stress.
I have one last bit of good news to share. My two aunts have decided to help me pay for my root canal and crown. I don't know how much they'll give me but it is a blessing.
Blessed morning to you all!
One thing I noticed today was how I am so much like Martha. When I don't like my circumstances I go to Jesus and complain about it and then often tell Him what I want Him to do about it. Does He do what Martha wants? No! But Mary is at His feet just soaking in Him. Lord, help us soak You in today and everyday!
D
Good Morning, Faithful Disciple’s ~
Wendy, I highlighted the same verse, but you opened it up even more so! Remaining faithful to “his teaching” – “his Word” and…as we do this we will know what is right and what is wrong. This knowledge will set us free from Satan and sin! I love that! I never saw the word truth meaning right and wrong, but now I understand the sentence in a different way! I read it over and over and over and I kept camping out on the fact that we are his disciples and his Word keeping us from Satan and sin. But, the truth part just made it so much clearer. As we continue reading God’s Word, the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth – wow! What a reason to be faithful Bible readers, dear sisters! Do we want more Light on the scriptures? – Then, we need to practice the Light that the Holy Spirit has already given to us. I love that girls!!!
Karen, thank you (as always) for your post today – it puts a different perspective on using the Lord’s name! “Hallowed be Thy name!” Can you imagine – the enemy as we say this prayer aloud? - !!! This is something he does NOT want to hear! Praise you Father, that we can call out to you by name!
Jennifer Renee, I’m so glad you posted this morning, as I’ve noticed you’ve been gone! I have been concerned, - I’m delighted that you will be seeing your spiritual mom! God is good to have this little trip arranged at this time. Thank you for sharing your ‘awe moment’ too! Since you’ve joined us, I have become more aware of the sounds – this is something I never thought much of before. Now, to too enjoy the birds as I walk, and I’m amazed at just how many chirp tones I hear! I love when they “all get to talking at once!” It is like a choir! Smile PS yay, God worked out the money for your root canal/crown!
Girls, have a wonderful day being a woman of God’s Word! Love, Lori
PS Jesus said, “for I always do what pleases him” (John 8:29) – these are my words too! Today, I want to please my Father. I want to possess the love of Christ – the self-sacrificing love that He showed us.
PPS D. ~ I, too am so much a Martha! Help me Lord, keep my hands busy doing what pleases you!
Whatever you did, Wendy, it worked and I received the teaching via email!
Think I've been a little hard on myself as your teaching about the disciple/follower of Jesus opened up a new definition of the description of being a disciple. His Truth today really has set me FREE! Thank you.
Have a blessed 4:8 day everyone.
Teeny
Two things really caught my attention today- John 8:43 "Why can't you understand what I am saying? It's because you can't even hear me." I can almost "hear" Jesus' sadness, disappointment and frustration with the people here. "hear" is what sent me on a search- means unwilling to hear, refusing to listen. How often do I refuse to listen or am unwilling to listen because I want my way?
Luke 11:8b "shameless persistence" Do I have shameless persistence in following Jesus, in pursuing his will for my life, in doing what He asks of me?
My to do today is to listen, to hear Jesus and to follow Him and do what He asks with shameless persistence.
Enjoying the majestic display of God in the fall colors! Only He can color the earth so majestically.
Willing,
Gaylene
I have so much highlighted that it is hard to pick one verse. I have written in the inside cover of my journal: The fear of God brings wisdom/ No God=No wisdom. We learned that way back in Proverbs. And staying in His word daily helps me remain faithful to His teachings. Oh, how I want to remain faithful and give Him all the glory. John8:54 “If I want glory for myself, it doesn’t count.” And John 8:55 You say He is our God, but you don’t even know him.” I want to know Him and being in His word brings me closer.
Have a great day everyone!
Linda
Good morning, GIGs.
New: John 8:41 You do the deeds of your father. And then they said unto him, We're not born of fornication (Jhn 8:41);
This could be a reference to the virgin birth. They could be here declaring your mother bore you out of wedlock. "We're not born of fornication." And it could be that the story of Mary had gotten around. That Joseph wasn't really the father of Jesus. And they did not believe that He was conceived of the Holy Spirit, and so they are accusing Him of being born out of wedlock.
Now the Bible asserts that Mary was a virgin and that the birth of Christ was a divine miracle because the power of the Highest came upon her, and Jesus was the Son of God. Born through the work and agency of the Holy Spirit impregnating Mary. Here it seems to be a low blow at Jesus, challenging the virgin birth.
-Pastor Chuck Smith
I thought that was interesting that for most of His life, and Mary's as well that people still whispered and gossiped about the circumstances of His birth.
David Guzik's comment re Martha and Mary:
i. There are people like Mary: Those who know how to serve and also sit at Jesus’ feet.
ii. There are people like Martha: Those who diligently, and with the best intention serve God, but without adding the one thing - a continued focus on Jesus - and it results in great frustration.
iii. There are people who aren’t doing either. They are not even in the house with Jesus, for they are too busy with their own pursuits.
Guilty of being another Martha here.
Have a blessed day everyone!
Happy Friday All…
Busy being a Martha today….But also found myself being Mary. Had a little of both today. I believe everything in moderation. My Godchild is back here….spent the last 10 month in TX as a border patrol officer. My (Martha): We was honored and blessed to make and have a great lunch with him. My (Mary) was at Jesus feet listening before the day was a go….go…go. Homecoming tonight son Brady is escorting the 9th grade representative. We are also on to work in the concession stand. I hope to get a 20 min. nap in after this. Just 20 min. Late night last night going to 2 different games.
Commentary: From Workbook for lectors and gospel Readers and proclaimers of the Word:
By Grazano Marcheschi, MA Dmin….with Nancy Seitz Marcheschi
Luke rarely names those who converse with Jesus, yet here he names two women and Martha is first. It is she who welcomed Jesus to her home and she who engages him in dialogue…and through her that a lesson is taught. Mary is introduced almost parenthetically, but the simple language describes a remarkable relationship. Mary assumes a disciple’s posture at Jesus’ feet, something women simply did not do. And while we are only told that Martha welcomed Jesus, we are shown how Mary did it …by listening. Luke’s emphasis is clear: true hospitality assumes the attitude of a disciple and eagerly listens to the word of the Lord. This is Luke’s primary concern, not a condemnation of Martha’s culinary zeal.
So don’t suggest a simplistic and moralizing opposition between action and contemplation. Jesus loves Martha as much as Mary. Martha confidently approaches Jesus the way a child sometimes approaches a parent, complaining (she “has left me by myself…”) and demanding (“Tell her to help me”). Jesus chastises Martha not for what she does, but for how she does it: “anxious and worried.” His repetition of her name signals affection and possible amusement at her consternation. His tone must not condemn her behavior, but invite her to remember why and for whom she labors, so that she can listen even in her busyness.
Going to get that 20 minuter…Letting the anxious and worried go,
Rhonda
Have a Blessed weekend All!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hi ladies,
I was a bit behind but got caught up on vlogs last night.
Wendy - I love your challenge to ask for a awesome moment. I am happy to report He gave me one! This past week, my leg has been really awful and sleeping very little. Last night, I went to bed, still sore. But I just kept claiming some healing thoughts that I read in P31 magazine...yes, my situation is tough, "BUT GOD...(the author said to add this to the end of any situation)." I know God is the divine physician and that He has commanded us to have rest and last night I claimed it again - and that nerve pain just stopped and I have been feeling good all day! So praise God - I BELIEVE I RECEIVE this healing.
Hope you all have a great weekend! We are off to celebrate Elliot's friend's 1st birthday tomorrow followed by a mommies night out! Looking forward to that!
Jodie from Ottawa
Well, it's a good thing that even though I got off track at the end of the week, I am back here today. I desire to remain "faithful". Such encouraging teaching today Wendy.
"So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free." (John 8:36). Truly free. Completely free. So why do so many of us live like we're only "partially" or "mostly" free?
I want to enjoy walking in true freedom today,
Joy
Post a Comment
Home