"About that time David's son Adonijah, whose mother was Haggith, began boasting, "I will make myself king." 1 Kings 5:5
About that time. What time was it? We can glance back to verses 1-4 and discover the time was "David's old age." He addressed the community of Israel, informing them of God's appointment for the next King then find him in need of full-time care. The words describing his inability to stay warm were very tender to me. It is hard to imagine this Shepherd boy turned King, our hero, the harpist, the Psalmist, and mighty warrior being old and cold.
It is also hard to believe that after the whole assembly heard the proclamation of the next King, one would be so bold as to raise and rally support to appoint himself king. I could not help but think of the old Burger King song, "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, have it your way. (Honestly, I sang that song at least 10 times in my head today. Now it is stuck there!) But it speaks directly to Adonijah's state of mind and frankly it spoke clearly to me.
Many times I hear the word of the Lord concerning a situation. I hear and clearly understand but I don't like the word I heard. In my mind, I believe that my solution or idea is better than the Lord's. (I have nerve, don't I?) So I choose to stick my fingers in my ears and sing, "La La La La La" and pretend I did not hear all the Lord wanted me to hear. Therefore, I am justified in my own mind to move forward with my plans. Like Adonijah I raise and rally support for my plan.
Also like Adonijah my plan doesn't work out so well. What I discover in my charade is that the Lord's plan will prevail with or without my cooperation. There is nothing I can do to thwart the Lord's will from proceeding.
I believe, no, I know it is best just to follow in obedience what I clearly hear the Lord say. This will save me a lot of unnecessary heartache and frustration as well as keep every hair on my head untouched. (V52)
It is also hard to believe that after the whole assembly heard the proclamation of the next King, one would be so bold as to raise and rally support to appoint himself king. I could not help but think of the old Burger King song, "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, have it your way. (Honestly, I sang that song at least 10 times in my head today. Now it is stuck there!) But it speaks directly to Adonijah's state of mind and frankly it spoke clearly to me.
Many times I hear the word of the Lord concerning a situation. I hear and clearly understand but I don't like the word I heard. In my mind, I believe that my solution or idea is better than the Lord's. (I have nerve, don't I?) So I choose to stick my fingers in my ears and sing, "La La La La La" and pretend I did not hear all the Lord wanted me to hear. Therefore, I am justified in my own mind to move forward with my plans. Like Adonijah I raise and rally support for my plan.
Also like Adonijah my plan doesn't work out so well. What I discover in my charade is that the Lord's plan will prevail with or without my cooperation. There is nothing I can do to thwart the Lord's will from proceeding.
I believe, no, I know it is best just to follow in obedience what I clearly hear the Lord say. This will save me a lot of unnecessary heartache and frustration as well as keep every hair on my head untouched. (V52)






9 Comments:
Good Morning Dear Friends,
Wendy, I love what you wrote today!
You always go a route I'm not thinking about and give me so much more to ponder over! Love it!
I was so enjoying, "David's Prayer of Praise" - one of the most uplifting prayers we've read thus far!
David remains a role-model for all of us! Oh, that we would pray like he does:
He begins by praising and blessing God.
Next, he thanks God.
Then, he makes his requests.
Lastly, he praises God some more!
Some things just don’t change, do they?
David prayed for his son, Solomon. Many of my praises & requests center on my two sons. Like David, one of my daily requests is that both of my sons, wholeheartedly, would desire to obey all of God’s commands and that they would offer their individual gifts while serving with good motives. Oh, that their personal relationship with Jesus would never die out; that they would serve and love the LORD our GOD for ever and ever!
Today's reading is rich!
Blessings,
Lori - AZ
PS I'm picking up my dad today to take him out to the Mayo Hospital where he'll be having an Angiogram.
Hopefully, all will go well, and his heart valve replacement will be scheduled soon. The doctor said if he gets in there it it does not look good, then he will go ahead and perform the surgery today. He is scared so I'm hoping I can comfort him. He's never had to "rely" on anyone before...always been independent, and this has got to be difficult on him. God has been preparing me to "contribute to the needs of others," [Romans 12:6-8]...Help me LORD to have a heart to give generously with my time.
Jan, I'll have lots of time today at the hospital to pray for your trip to AZ! Thinking about you as you travel out here! You're so close, but yet still so far away! :) Mayo's is N. Scottsdale, on the other side of town for me.
Goodmorning precious ones,
I am so thankful for the readings thus far. They have been so real, encouraging, uplifting and most of all, applicable!!
Thanks Wendy, for sharing your deficiency.
I have now grown from an infant to a toddler in my christian walk, and these bible study blogging moments has contributed tremendously to that growth (thanks for your obedience again Wendy, really, thanks for listening to the voice that time)!!
I think it was out of ignorance and the lack of really studying the Word is what lead me to ignore those little voices, especially when I thought that my way would have been the best. But now, I pray wholeheartedly, not to just listen for the voice, but to obey its instructions step by step.
As a student, reading and creative writing were never my favorite subjects, that's why I embarked on a career that involved lots of numbers. But now, as I began to read through God's word daily and listen for his instructions, something happened! I am excited to read and journalise, who would have ever thought!
Be blessed all
Chanan
Bahamas
Hello Sisters!
I've been so encouraged by your insights once again! Wendy, your message is one of two I have received today about "my way"! I'm giving some serious thought to what the Holy Spirit is telling me. It isn't intentional, but when I make a decision without consulting God first I am doing things my way. This is the other message I received from a friend and thought I would share it:
"I have so much to do today that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer." –Martin Luther
"But to You I cry out, O Lord, and in the morning my prayer comes before you." Psalm 88:13
There was an automotive commercial back in the day where a mechanic was trying explain the need for oil changes for your car. The saying was “You can pay me now, or you can pay me later”. Meaning, pay for your oil changes now, or pay for a new engine later.
This relates big time to me pertaining to prayer. I can pray to God up front, in the beginning (each day, each event, each decision) for help and guidance of His will, or pray later for help and guidance out of the mess I made doing it my way.
Sweet Afternoon to all of you!
Lori, I would love to know how your dad is doing. Jan, how was your flight to Arizona?
I found myself focused on 1 Chronicles 29:14 today. "But who am I, and who are my people, that we could give anything to you? Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us!"
So many times my selfish tendencies kick in when I am asked to give of myself, my time, my talents, and my resources. I really needed to be reminded today that everything I have is God's anyway.
Lord, I am so sorry that I want to hold on to that which you have given to me and declare it "mine." Please move me beyond the tantrum of a toddler, and make me a willing giver of all to you!
Hi Ladies,
I'm still here just haven't been posting due to my work schedule. David's heart of worship is so personable, he knows just what to say to get the tears flowing. :-)
I have an urgent prayer request for a friend of my family who is a pastor and she just lost her 2nd child to illness. Both children were in their 30's and both less than a year. Please help me prayer that their faith will remain strong and when their are no answers, they will just trust in the unfailing love of the Lord.
Blessings!
Debbie - North Carolina
Hi Debbie,
I was reading the blog when I saw your prayer request. I have already included your pastor friend in my prayers. May she find refuge in the Shadow of our heavenly Daddy's wings and may the Holy Spirit fill her with His peace, love and comfort. I always find comfort in the "footprints" poem in times like these - the thought of God carrying me when I haven't the strength to go on myself.
Thinking of you and your friend,
Jodie
Hello All,
Before I left early this morning I popped over to read Joy's blog, "only a Moment." She spoke regarding 1 Chronicles 29:15..."We are here for only a moment..." It was the boost I needed to get me through the day! I can't tell you how much I'm learning from EACH one of you! Wendy, I copied your comments today and stuck them in my Bible...I had time today to read some more and ponder over what you wrote. To clearly follow in obedience when we hear God. I'm learning to seek him more and more and I can't even begin to explain the peace and love I feel. Walking with HIM in the little moments of my day!
My dad did really well today. None of the arteries were clogged which is what they were hoping for. So, now the plan is to do the valve replacement surgery. He will be glad to have this all behind him.
Love you all..Thanks so much for your comments! I get something out of each one of them!
Lori - AZ
Wendy, right now I hear Frank Sinatra singing in my head, "I did it my way". Funny I just counted over 30 references to "I" or "my" in that song. How often we can disregard God's voice for our own plans. So thankful that His purposes still prevail.
As Lori just mentioned above, I did write on 1 Chronc. 29:15 today. Moments are miracles and I'm discovering that more and more over the past 10 weeks as we've shared precious moments with my Dad.
We need to be fully present in the present. The truth is, this very moment is the only timeline of our life.
It's the moments that make up our years. I've tried to embrace each one today,
Joy
Late evening ladies,
I have been checking in through out the day. Nothing has hit me to add different. When Lori’s note came in about her dad, I just felt like praise and prayer was what I could offer you.
Wendy: Praying that as She Speaks draws closer and the demands get stronger, you will be given the right balance through out your day. Thankful for your willingness to be the vessel of His words.
Lori: Praising that your father went to church. You won't know what he absorbed in his meditative state; if he didn’t snore maybe we can call it that. I am so glad things are clear and the valve replacement can take place. It is a great testimony to hear all of the daughters that are taking care of their fathers on this blog. Daddy’s Girls
Chanan: praying about the job and peace.
Jan: Flight to Arizona after tackling the flood waters. Emotionally, physically
and spiritually drained might be some of the areas that feel depleted in you. Try to keep on top of your family’s needs and the things you can change. Remember to take care of you.
Debbie: I am praying for the urgent need of your friend who lost their 2nd child to illness. It has been said that burying your children is one of the hardest things. I can’t imagine loosing 2 in less than a year.
Joy: Dear sister, steadfast in love and compassion. Sometimes we don’t understand why our loved ones must endure the cruelness of suffering. Where and how do you process that kind of emotion except on your knees before the Father? Your father is a very luckily man to be cared and loved for by his family. Renew your strength every day, for him and for you.
Kristen: The desire of wanting to give up the tantrum of a toddler, that is inside you, is not easy. What a step of obedience to want to give that up!
December Rose: Sounds like you are getting a direct email and fax from God. Those days kind of freak me out.
Heavenly Father,
Tonight it is late and most of these women have gone to bed. Father I praise you for the freedom each of us has to write these words down and cry out to you. We are growing in your word as a group. Daily we feast on your words and come together at our table to share the meal. We praise you for your daily provision of milk and meat,
Thank you Father that we trust enough to bring our prayers to you and then to our sisters. We celebrate in our gains, we morn our losses but may we never be so defeated as to loose hope. Bind us sisters together and continue to help us encourage each other so that all we say and do bring the honor and glory back to you.
In your precious name,
Amen
Sweet dreams,
Diane
Post a Comment
Home