"Then Manasseh finally realized that the Lord alone is God."
2 Chronicles 33:13
2 Chronicles 33:13
Have I come to the same realization as Manasseh? I loved the ending to King Manasseh's story. What an accurate picture of God' great love and redemption of His children.
Manasseh, if you remember was Hezekiah's son born after God answered his prayer for more time. He built altars for false gods everywhere, including the holy Temple of God. The Bible describe his sin as detestable, even burning his own son as a sacrifice. I would suggest to you that he was truly under the wrong influence to have done such a horrific act. How disappointed the great King Hezekiah would have been had he known his only heir "undid" all the wonderful things he had done for Judah.
After ignoring a warning from the Lord, Manasseh fell under the strong arm of the Lord's discipline. It was the Lord's discipline that finally brought Manasseh to his knees in repentance, leading to a complete change in the once detestable king.
The Lord's discipline lead Manasseh to rebuild the outer wall of Jerusalem. He stationed armies in all the towns. He restored the Temple and removed all altars to false gods. All his good deeds and restoration set the stage for the next king, his son, Amon. Unfortunately, the king's detestable ways prior to his repentance had already take root in the heart of his son and influenced to Amon "undo" all the good his father had done.
There are two great truths in this story:
There are two great truths in this story:
- God loves us so much that He will do whatever it takes to bring us to Him.
- Our actions, good and bad have an impact on the future of our children.






4 Comments:
Oh Wendy, I love the two truths you mined from this story. The first one reminds me of a Philips, Craig and Dean song. The chorus goes:
"He'll do whatever, whatever it takes
His grace reaches lower than your worst mistakes
And His love will run farther
Than you can run away, my friend
He'll do whatever, whatever it takes
He'll do whatever it takes
He'll just keep reaching
Until He finds a way to bring you back
Where you belong
Come on back home"
So thankful we have a God who continues to pursue our heart.
Your second point is sobering. What are my actions saying? How is my life today affecting my son's future faith and walk with the Lord?
That segways in to the verse that I wrote about today. "Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years. His mother was Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah from Bozkath. He did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight and followed the example of his ancestor David. He did not turn away from doing what was right."
"...and a little child will lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Josiah's dad has just been assassinated, and at the tender age of eight this little boy becomes king.
When he was 16 years of age the Bible says, "he began to seek the God of his ancestor David." 2 Chronicles 34:3. How did he know to do this? I have to stop for a moment and consider the influence of his mom, Jedidah.
Although this is simply speculation, I wonder if he possibly grew to love and follow the Lord because of a godly mother. I wonder if he watched her seeking and obeying the Lord. I wonder if it was her example that ignited a yearning in his young heart to pursue the Lord. I wonder if she would cuddle him close and tell him stories of how in generations past his family loved the Lord. Never underestimate a mother's influence.
However Josiah came to follow God's heart, he broke the cycle of sin in his generation. He took responsibility for his own choices and actions. His history would not control his destiny. He refused to remain caught in the web of the past.
As the expression goes, "the buck stops here". Regardless of what has gone on before us, we can make choices to change the future by changing our actions today. Instead of walking the evil way of his father, Josiah decided on a different path. Seeking God, he followed a new set of footprints. Footprints we can choose to follow today as well.
Yes, Josiah could look back and see a history of defeat, but he could also look forward and see victory.
Which way are you looking?
Desiring to walk in His steps,
Joy
We wonder how Judah could depart from Israel’s religion; how could they “stray so far from,” the Lord and “worship worthless idols?” They ended up being “more foolish” by committing two evils. (2:13) They not only followed their own will rather than God’s Will, but they became self-sufficient in their lifestyle. They are both evils. Self-sufficiency leads to discontent. Lord, help me seek you always, Each day I want to read your Word with anticipation and hunger. I want to choose to walk along side you, like Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses! Oh, I don’t want to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a period of time! More like a blink of an eye, compared to eternity! May my mouth sing your praises all day long, giving you the Glory for everything, thus, remaining in your presence!
Wendy, I loved the truths you pointed out today. The 1st truth, our loving God. I’ve been trying to grasp that more off/on throughout my days, prior to when I have to spend time with extended family, that I want to be a witness to. I soak in just how much God loves them. How he created them and place me to be apart of their family. I ask God, “How can I nurture this family member? How can I love on them like you would? I want so badly to see them through His eyes.
The 2nd truth reminds me of Deut. 6:4-8, “Impress them [the commandments] on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” As parents, we have higher standards; we are asked to model Christ to our children. Blessings, peace, love, goodness, safety, protection…oh, staying on His path and doing what His Word says-it’s so worth it. To live, not in fear as the world does, but to live in peace, knowing without a doubt EVERYTHING is going to be ok. Good reading today, ladies! More treasures to soak in and think about throughout my day.
Thinking about, “She Speaks,” and lifting you dear Wendy up in prayer. I’m sure about now you are enjoying some special alone time with your main Father! May His Holy Spirit fill you up, every little crevice and crack, may you feel God’s love all around you, may you feel strong, healthy, vibrant, energetic, and so full of power. God’s power! May you be blessed every single day with words from God to share to open ears.
And, to the rest of the gang getting prepared to travel…my prayers are coming your way too, as you pack, travel, and anticipate to be blessed over! The whole She Speaks team, I’m lifting you all up. All my love, Lori - AZ
Good Morning sisters,
Wendy I wanted you to know that I am lifting up the team and the conference this week. May God move in unbelievable ways and may every woman there be changed and never be the same! May their love and passion for Christ spur them on to change the world!!
I wanted to share with you all that I am going to be taking the next month off from our reading and will pick back up with you all in September. Our church is going to go through a month long devotion together called "Come to the Lord's Table." Through the whole month of August our whole congregation will be going through this book daily in order to prepare our hearts for communion. I know it is going to be a month where God moves in amazing ways in the lives of His people here in TN. With doing that, "Believing God," and preparing for the Sunday school class I will be leading in September I needed to take this month off. I pray you all have a great month of reading and I will talk to you again in September. I will pop on though next week to see if there are pictures from the conference, I can't wait to see them!!! :) You all visit me at my blog when you get a chance. I will still be posting on there.
Love to you my sisters and may God fill your lives with more of Him!
Brandee, TN
Wendy, these truths are so, so good! Thank you for reminding us of them!
See you on Friday!! Y'all have been in my prayers!!
Hugs!
Susan
Post a Comment
Home