The Heavy Hand Of God
"Remove your heavy hand from me, and don't terrify me with your awesome presence."
Job 13:21




My Take-Aways:

Something Old:
Job 13:21
This scripture suggests that he perhaps has seen the terror of the presence of the Lord up close. Remember he did a lot of sacrificing for his children. Terrify/awesome presence is translated as terror, dread


Something New:
Job 13:21/Psalm 32:4
The connection between Job's words and David's these two verses.


Something to Do:
Job 13:21
Stay confessed up and forgiven of my sin so I don't have to try to function in life under the heavy hand of God. David ends his Psalm like this:

"Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!"

I want to walk upright and rejoice and I can't do that with a heavy hand on me. Smile

Possible foreshadowing of the mediator of Job 9:33
I took my leading from the original Hebrew word for mediator (closer rendering is umpire) which is Yakach (Yaw`kahh`- Strongs 3198): to prove, decide, judge, rebuke, correct, be right, convict, convince. The job of the Holy Spirit is to convict and convince us of our sin, to lead us to correction.

However, in the New Testament, Jesus Christ is referred to as our Mediator. (1 Timothy 2:5, Hebrews 1:3)





21 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

I to found this reading difficult.
Two things that stood out for me.
True wisdom and power are found in God - dont lean on your own understanding
Show me my rebellion and my sin - try not to justify my behaviour.
Confess, repent and walk upright light of heart.
Thanks for your insight
Susan

Blogger Karen said...

Dear Wendy and everyone,

I am finally caught up with the videos and postings over the last two weeks. Except for today's video; I will watch it tonight.

Reading Job again this year is revealing a new level of insights for me (just as Lynn and Lori said). Also reading it after visiting my sister-in-law this week has put it in a new light too. An unanswered question; why does God test us in these ways?

The hope if not the answer: 1 Peter 4:12-13

12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

My nugget today was Job 14:14-17

14 Can the dead live again?
If so, this would give me hope through all my years of struggle,
and I would eagerly await the release of death.
15 You would call and I would answer,
and you would yearn for me, your handiwork.
16 For then you would guard my steps,
instead of watching for my sins.
17 My sins would be sealed in a pouch,
and you would cover my guilt.


There's some foreshadowing indeed! Our sins are sealed in a pouch and our guilt is sealed by Christ. How comforting that God longs for relationship so much that He yearns for me; his handiwork!

I also loved Job 12; such a rich chapter, but I think my post would exceed the word limit if I posted all my thoughts. :)

It's good to be back with you all! Have a great day!

Karen, Basel

Blogger Danielle said...

Wendy, thank you for being so transparent with us! I love you, sister! And thanks for going back and digging into the info for the reference in scripture about the Mediator. Great insight!

As you just shared Psalm 32, man was it was confirmation in my spirit. The last couple days that scripture kept coming to my mind while talking with others, and I thought it was for them. But, I see God was trying to speak to me! Ack! I need to clean our my spiritual ears.

I had a couple things stand out to me in todays reading, but I'll share just one. Job 14:7-9. There have been times in my life were I've felt cut off from God and dead inside, but I now know, it's those times when I wasn't daily in His word. It's the times my prayer life had suffered because of neglect. But, as soon as I began to dig in again, it was like the stump that caught the scent of water and was revived. When God's word trickled back into my heart, back into my spirit, new life began to sprout again. PTL! As long as we stay in His word and stay connected with Him, there will always be something blooming in our lives.

Anonymous Janet said...

Good morning!
Wendy, as always, you share just what my little ole heart is needing to hear. I, too, have lived under the heavy hand of God when I was in disobedience to something I heard Him tell me to do or not do. I don't want to live that way anymore. Thank you for sharing your walk so openly.
I am seeing/reading Job in a new a different way. I always just read it as "Job and the Three Stooges" and never really got past the Stooges' biting comments. Yet this time I am seeing that it isn't necessarily that they are not speaking the truth, I am learning and seeing a lot of truth in their words. But that they were spoken without love and with intent to hurt raises my awareness of making sure I watch what kind of friend I am.
Today brought more insight. I never noticed 12:13 but it is true that power and TRUE wisdom are with God. That is part of our curriculum we use with our homeschool. True wisdom is what we seek to give our son not just an education. It is what I seek for myself.
I also keep mulling back over what "Grace and Peace" posed yesterday from Matthew Henry
"but extraordinary afflictions are not always the punishment of extraordinary sins, but sometimes the trial of extraordinary graces;..."
Words of comfort that I can take to heart to teach me to be a better friend, wife, mother....
I know this didn't exactly tell much from today's reading but didn't get a chance to post yesterday.
And *Noni*
I asked a few days back about your son but didn't know if you saw it or not about where your son is doing Basic Training. My sweet hubby is a Chaplain at the Reception unit at Ft. Jackson. If that is where your son has come, let me know and I'll have my beloved check on him. :-)
You can email me at mandjkelly@hotmail.com
Praying for all the requests here.
In Him!

Anonymous Lori said...

Happy Friday ~
Welcome Back, Karen! I am happy you got to visit with your SIL, face-to-face. Any new prayer requests?

Wendy, You just opened up "remove your heavy hand from me," W I D E.
I loved what you wrote today-thank you for sharing something, we all can relate to. I too, have found it's not worth it to have that "wall," separating us from Him. There are different degrees of separation, but it is just so much sweeter, to have the wall totally down, with the communication flowing between us and God. As He reveals sin to us, just like he did this week to me with my "words," we have to cling to him in order to do what he wants. In the end, we know him more, and not only is our relationship closer, but, we "resemble," him more to others'.

With all this talking back and forth between Job and his friends...I almost lost site on the original plan of Satan...Do you remember what the enemy is after? Satan wants Job to curse God after his blessings are removed. What has poor Job had to endure so far? He's lost his children, wealth, compassion from his wife & friends. Now, he's not sleeping, he's got painful boils...but, this man, who walks with God, still does not curse God. (KJV 13:15) states: "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" I love that! Job's faith in God was like that of Ester's when she went before the king: "So will I go...and if I perish, I perish, (Esther 4:16).

In the middle of our worst trials, we must remember this life here on earth is just a blink of an eye-we put our hope in eternity...in Heaven! Love, Lori

Blogger Meredith said...

Wendy - thank you for your clarification regarding who is the mediator. Here is what is says in my Hollman Dictionary - "Christ, being both fully God and fully man, is a mediator and high priest who can sympathize with our weaknesses and therefore assures us that we will receive grace and mercy."(Heb. 4:15-16)

Another thought from someone's comment yesterday regarding that is didn't appear that Job considered that Satan was responsible and today Job stated the following in Job 12:16 -"Yes, strength & wisdom are his - deceivers and deceived are both in his power."

I think the chapters of Job are laying the foundation for our need of Jesus. Several verses popped out at me:
job 13:4 - "Who can bring purity out of an impure person."
job 13:17 - "My sins would be sealed in a pouch and you would cover my guilt."
job 13:14 - " Can the dead live again? If so this would give me hope through all my years of struggle."

Nugget:
God has provided us hope through Jesus Christ - the hope of spending eternity with him and those who have found faith in him. This hope should be what I focus on during my struggles knowing my sins are sealed and my impure body has been made pure. Praise God. Job 11:18 "Having hope will give you courage. You will be provoked and will rest in safety."

Blessings for a terrific Friday,
Meredith in OK

Blogger joann4u said...

Wendy
I love that you didn't give up on finding what God wanted you to share with us in today's reading. It was obviously genuine and powerful to me.

Job 13:5 Stood out to me today.
If only you could be silent! That's the wisest thing you could do.

I'm successful at holding my tongue when I rely on Christ to help me...other times? I needed to be reminded the power of my tongue especially when I am among non believers. I desire to be a light to them, not a wagging finger!

I'm so happy I found you! Have a wonderful weekend....

Anonymous Noni said...

Janet: I tried emailing you when you first offered help for Will, but the email bounced back. I posted something to you on my blog post the next day, but you must not have seen it. I emailed you again today, Will is at Fort Benning, GA. Thank you so much for your offer and prayers for him. He called last night and will spend another week in reception because they do not have room for his line off 55 to go to basic this week. Praying for patience for him, but it is also a blessing because they now have told him he needs to get more paperwork to them so he can get his housing allowance and this will allow us time to do that. God's hand at work even in delays.

I think Job might be a woman (just kidding) but how often do I have a problem or am upset about something and go on and on to my husband or friend and they are trying to give me advice / help and I just tell them to be quiet. Job 13:5

Something Old: Job 14:14 Can the dead live again? If so this would give me hope... We have that hope through Jesus Christ.

Something New: Job 13:15-16 God might kill me, but I hope in Him. But this is what will save me--I am not godless. Even in all this blaming God Job knows where his hope lies.

Something to do: In every circumstance remember that my hope is in God. A quote from Holley Gerth "Life sends rain...Hope dances in the puddles until the sun comes out again."

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Good morning Wendy and everyone.

Wendy thanks for leading us, for opening up to us and being there for us.

Karen - Glad you are back. You're post was almost word for word what I had written down, I wish I could show you my page.. were you copying? :) Just kidding.

My verses today Job 13:16, 14:14-17

My overall take, I am so thankful I have Jesus. That I can come boldly to the throne and confess my sins and be forgiven, "the heavy hand removed".
The last verse I'll mention was Job 12:22 He uncovers mysteries hidden in darkness; he brings light to the deepest gloom.
There is so much power in that statement and can be applied to so many things. He can bring hidden or un-repented sin to light. Or He can bring light (Jesus) to our rescue. It really popped out today.

Have a great day everyone!
Lynn

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Wendy, thank you for the "digging" that you did. I so appreciate that. And I love the connection you found in Psalm 32.

Girls, your comments have so many truths. Thank you! I don't think I can add anything different today.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Hugs!
Susan

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessings to All this wonderful Friday!

I echo many of you in feeling the book of Job is opening up in an entirely new way this time through.

My familiar but new today was Job 12:7-8, which he sums up in verse 10 "...the life of every living thing is in his hand." We have much to learn from the animals, the birds, the fish and the earth.

Had not noticed before - Job 13:14-15 "Yes, I will take my life in my hands and say what I really think. God might kill me, but I have no other hope."

I find that so powerful, and so true. God is our sole hope.

My to do was found today in Job 12:22:

"he uncovers mysteries hidden in darkness; he brings light to the deepest gloom."

I pray today, for myself and all of you that God uncover our mysteries hidden in darkness and that through the saving grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit He brings light to our deepest gloom. Amen!

Be blessed and be a blessing this weekend, sisters!

Liz
Alaska

Blogger Betty said...

Wendy, thank you for your insight and openness. I joyfully sit at my computer each morning anticipating your words of light and encouragement into the word.

As I was reviewing today's reading I was reminded that today is the 37th anniversary of the Roe vs Wade decision. There are faithful followers bringing the message to our legislators in Washington DC today that life, at all stages, is a precious gift from God. Let us pray for all those who are marching today.

My nugget for today: God is so patient with us and He waits for us to come to Him. I concur with Lynn-JnL4God said: Job 12:22 He uncovers mysteries hidden in darkness; he brings light to the deepest gloom.

Everyone enjoy the weekend!
BettyL

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello friends in Christ,
I loved today's lesson, but my focus was mainly on Job:14:1"How frail is humanity! How short is life, how full of trouble". I have walked with the Lord many years, and have experienced many trials and tribulations, so this probably is the reason for my nugget today! Job 14:5-14 says,"YOU have decided the length of our lives. You know how many months we will live, and we are not given a minute longer." Job describes life as hopeless and that death is better than living." I'm sure some of us have been there at one time or another! He goes on to wonder where you are when you die since death is so final, but then in verse 14 he asks," can the dead live again?..if so, this would give me HOPE through all the years of struggle,"...and, of course, now we(Rom. 5:1-5) can have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...by faith...And we rejoice in the HOPE of the glory of God...and we can also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that HOPE does not disappoint us."
How wonderful to know that when the garment of distress comes upon us we can have that HOPE and COMFORT in the Lord.
Kathleen (www.katscalligraphy.com)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I connected how Job 12:22-25 parallels Daniel 2:20-23.
Daniel states: " He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings;
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; He reveals deep and mysterious things; He knows what is in the darkness and the light dwells with Him."

Isn't God cool?

Morgen

Blogger Amanda said...

Good day all--

Ok, all the complaining is beginning to get to me, also. So, glad Job finally gets around to actually talking things over with the Lord. I, too, felt like I had to really search for my nugget today. Then, when I found it, I couldn't stop writing. So, here is the short version.
In Job 14:9 "...at the scent of water it (a cut down tree) will bud again." Wow!!! At the very scent of blessing growth can occur. I wonder if Job had lived in the "excess" of blessing so long, that he forgot about the small stuff. I know, i do. Many times I am waiting for God to open the flood gates and let it all pour out. However, I need to be waiting for the scent of rain, the small drops He sends to bless my life. I think sometimes I am only strong enough to accept the scent, if God sent His full blessing it might crush me. LIke a heavy rain would trample a budding tree.

Blogger Carol said...

Good day all! Thank you Wendy for the video's. I so enjoy them.
I have been without a computer and internet for a while, but have kept up with the reading. I confess some days I have to double up. Today I found myself reading through the entire weekend.
I find Job eye opening in how I handle relationships with believers going through struggles and how I am, or am not helpful to them in a time of need. I look at 13:4-5. Verse 5 "If only you would be altogether silent! For you, that would be wisdom." I find this so true. Here are these three men that are full of truth. But, they seem to lack understanding and wisdom. I'm thinking, head knowledge is not wisdom.
Going back to yesterday's reading I found Job 8:8-10 enlightening. True wisdom comes with AGE!
Have a blessed day, ladies.

Blogger Amy said...

Hi!

Wendy, I agree. I think this part of Job is hard to read, but not just because all the complaining can get boring. Job's friends are irritating to me because they've got the truth all twisted and mixed up. When we're feeling strong, like Job was before Satan struck him, it can be easy to separate the Truth from the lies, but when we're despairing, it's so much harder to keep our eyes focused on the truth! Job seems to have this problem several times and begins to complain, although he never stops pointing to God's strength and power. For me, when things are hard, not giving credit or power to that little voice that twists things up is really hard. I love the song 'Voice of Truth' from casting Crowns for that reason. It reminds me of the second half of this story, the one that Job didn't know - that we DO have life after death, we DO have a Mediator, and there IS hope for us all. Reminds me of Jer. 29:11, too: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Knowing that He has a purpose and wants good things for me makes it easier to be patient during the yucky times.

PS - My sister had an MRI today. She'll get the results soon and then a treatment plan on Wednesday. She has a tumor on her pituitary gland, but we're not sure what that means yet.

Blogger jodi said...

What stood out most to me in today's reading was Job 14:14-17.
We saw yesterday Job wishing he had a mediator, and again today these verses point us to Jesus.
Job longs for an escape from this life of suffering and for eternal life. "Can the dead live again? If so, this would give me hope through all my years of struggle." He longs for God's grace it seems to me; feeling punished by God, Job thinks of God as "watching for his sins". Jesus had not yet come so Job doesn't know of God's ultimate act of grace and love to send His son to redeem us. Job knows of God's sovereignty, power, and righteousness but he doesn't feel God's grace. "Then you would guard my steps, instead of watching for my sins...and you would cover my guilt."
He feels he's guilty of some sin and that God is punishing him. Job laments, "Who can bring purity out of an impure person? No one!" Job 14:4. It's as if he feels there is no hope.
I am so thankful that we have Jesus, the One who can cover our guilt, bring purity to us and give us eternal hope! I am so thankful for God's grace! I can't help but wonder how Job might have felt if he had Jesus to help him through his time of suffering.
Thank you Lord for sending your Son to us to give us hope in our suffering.

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Jumping very late today. My son has been sick and in the last 24 hours have had two doctor's visits. I'm getting to be on a first name basis with the people at the pharmacy.

Karen, welcome back! You have been in my mind the last few days and wondered how your sister-in-law, Anne is doing?

I think it was Olive who said yesterday how she's having difficulty reading Job. I hear you, sister. I could not wrap my head around the 3 so called friends. Are we supposed to pay attention to what they're saying even though they are wrong about Job?

So I decided to borrow Jon Couron's Application Commentary from our women's group leader. Oh, dear sisters, now I'm finally seeing some light! I read from the intro to Chap. 15 that's why it took me this long to post. Would like to share some nuggets with you.

As a background, Jon Courson is a pastor. In the intro he wrote that he lost his first wife to an auto accident. God gave him Jeremiah 29:11 during the ambulance ride. He was left with 3 young children. About 13 years later, his daughter, Jessie, 16, also died in an auto accident. Same manner as her mom. I was crying and it was just the intro. So I know he would have good insights on Job since he had a taste of it.

It's hard to choose what part to share since I filled 4 pages front and back of my journal! The main points being:

*He cited a quote by Translator J.B. Phillips: "If God was small enough for me to figure out, He would not be big enough for me to worship.

*Courson also wondered why the debates go on chapter after chapter. He said if he wrote the Book of Job, it would be six chapters long. He believes it's 42 chapters it is a reflection of life. "That is when a trial first begins, there are things to learn. When it ends, we're glad it's over. It's the middle part that seems to go on and on and on."

*Referring to the 3 friends: When someone is going through a trial or dealing with depression, we can think it is up to us to defend God. In reality, however, God would say, "I deeply care about the person you want to correct. I now that like you, he is made of dust. i understand his frailty."

*"Oftentimes we expect more out of ourselves than God expects of us. We mistakenly think we're more than dust! No wonder we're shocked by what we find ourselves doing. God, however, isn't shocked. He's not even surprised. He knows our frame. He knows what we're made of. But He also knows what we're going to be. He sees us as already glorified in Christ Jesus."

(I know this is getting long but it's good!)

*Job 13:14;15a Wherefore do I take my flesh in my teeth, & put mine life in my hand? Though he slay me, yet I will trust him..." (KJV)
...And with these words satan lost his bet. Although Job did not navigate his difficulty perfectly he completely shuts satan down when he said even if he does not understand what God is doing, even though it seems unfair yet I will trust Him. Yes, Job's faith will falter but here it's ignited."

*"When does faith flare up? Whenever he talks about living again, whenever he remembers the reality of eternity. Although it's hazy to him, when he focuses on heaven, there's hope in his heart...When we go through difficulties, trials and heartaches, we can either let our hearts be troubled or keep them from being troubled. The choice is ours. It is not just a matter of positive thinking, but of thinking what really matters. And what really matters is eternity. With every step you take, may your thoughts be of heaven."

*Lastly for those of us who have a tendency to be like Job's friends, Courson says this: "Try to understand what goes on in people's hearts. Instead of judging others by their actions and yourself by your intentions, reverse it. Judge yourself by your actions, and others by their intentions."

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Blogger Gaylene said...

Tried posting earlier, but had some trouble on my end. Computers, sometimes I like them, and other times........
Reading Job is like that for me, hard, but at times so good!
Two truths struck home especially strong today; one is old but so precious to me.

1)12:10 "for the life of everything is in His hand and the breath of every living being". I am HELD in the HAND of GOD. I just want to shout it from the rooftops!

2) 13:5- the whole be silent and listen. I am good at being silent; I'm not a talkative person and one of the gifts the Lord has enabled me with is to be able to listen in a group setting and quickly get to the heart of the matter for the group. But other times, I am just silent and I don't listen. I get tired of listening and just tune out what people are saying. The Lord had told me enough is enough. He has given me a gift and I am to use it. So, silent I have down, but now will work on listening with all of my being, not just my ears.

Love all your comments. I get so much from this study with Wendy's leadership and your sharing. Thank you one and all!

In Him,
Gaylene

Blogger Chef Diane said...

Good evening ya'all,

I have been present, just not posting. I wanted to tell you what a blessing it is to be a part of this study! Just wanted to let you know how blessed I am.

Blessings
Diane

Post a Comment

Home