"Some time later..."
Genesis 40:1
"Two full years later..."
Genesis 41:1
Genesis 40:1
"Two full years later..."
Genesis 41:1
My Take Aways:
Something Old:
Genesis 41:45
Pharaoh gave Joseph a wife. His wife, Asenath, was daughter of the priest of On.
Something New:
Genesis 41:51-52
The meaning of Manasseh and Ephraim:
God has made me forget my troubles.
God has mad me fruitful in this land of my grief.
Something To Do:
Be patient during my "pit time" allowing God to teach, mold, and prepare me for the next season.






24 Comments:
good morning friends,
i love what you said wendy about God making us fruitful in our times of grief...i yell a huge 'AMEN' to that...once i was barren, and now i have 2 most amazing daughters who are such a blessing to me, and all around them. to Him be the Glory! i know many women share a similar story, and all the infertility and waiting was indeed preparation for my times of living in the palace...
something new:
genesis40:7 joseph saw the cup bearer and baker the next morning after they'd had disturbing dreams, and asked 'why do you look so worried today?'
his act of caring and compassion opened up the door for him to be blessed... if he was wallowing in self pity about being in prison, and wasn't caring about anyone else, he'd have missed his opportunity to interpret the dreams, and be remembered, and ultimately be delivered from his pit. his kindness toward them opened the door for God to push him toward his destiney... take away message for me is its not all about me, even when i'm hurting. i must still care about others' pain. and God will reward us ...
have a great day!
amy jane
Great teaching, Wendy. Thank you.
My Old: Esau and Jacob came together to bury their father Isaac; just like Ishmael and Isaac came together to bury Abraham.
New: When Joseph left Pharoah he inspected the entire land of Egypt. He took his job seriously and was good at it.
Nugget: When "famine" comes to me, I will have a storehouse of God's Word ready to help me survive.
TGIF
Morgen
Good Morning~ Loved your nugget Morgen! God has been supplying me with special verses the past couple of weeks that have sustained me. Your lesson was what I needed to be reminded of, dear Wendy. All of us end up in the pit in some way or another every now and then. Clinging to God and knowing that he is always working on our transformation keeps us from getting discouraged.
My nugget today was that Joseph never complained during his time in the pit. He never said, "Why me?" He remained faithful to God.
The timing of God is always perfect.
"You are my strength; I wait for you to rescue me, for you, O God, are my fortress," Psalm 59:9-that is the verse God gave me yesterday morning as I was beginning my day. Aahh, when we lean on him during our difficult periods, he is there to pour blessings over us. Aren't ya glad he's our Father! Thank you dear Lord, for pursuing me! Today, I anticipate your Glory around me! Today, I want to know you more! Today, I want your loving kindness to come out of me as I care for my mother.
Enjoy seeking Him today in everything you do! Love, Lori
I saw this familiar story from a symbolic point of view!
I saw the chief cup bearer and baker as Christ. The dreams that Josheph interpretted for them was symbolic of what was to come - Gen 40:12-15 - in three days you will be lifted up and restored as his chief cup-bearer -Gen40:18-19 - in three days you will be lifted up and your body will be impaled on a pole.
Something new:
Joseph was given a new name Egyptian name - Zaphenath-paneah - God speaks and lives.
Nugget:
Joseph remained faithful to God throughout his roller coaster ride in Egypt. God still provided for Joseph even in his pit of despair. We need to remain faithful to him always in the good and not so good times.
Have a great Friday,
Meredith in OK
1)heard in a new way; Genesis 41:38 So Pharaoh asked his officials, “Can we find anyone else like this man so obviously filled with the spirit of God?” Joseph learn to rely on God in prison. He matured in the Lord & was filled with the Holy Spirit.
2)you did not know; Gen 35:38 Issac died while Joesph was in prison. It must have been sad for Issac to deal with his grandson 'dieing'. Also now Israel (Jacob) had to deal with the loss of his father.
3)nugget; All comes in God's time. I need to be patience even when I go through my famine, my Egypt.
Morgan love your comment of having the 'storehouse of God's Word ready to help'
Have a great weekend all!
Blessing & Peace, Mary
I'm not so far away from you, Wendy, and it was beautiful yesterday here, too! The kids and I plan to spend part of today outside. They're calling for it to be 60!
1. Joseph gave credit where it was due, even when standing in front of Pharoah, who had the power to banish him back to prison or set him free. When asked if he could interpret dreams, he said no! but that God could. That's awesome!
2. Pharoah needed someone to hand him his cup? How spoiled and helpless is that?
3. The cup-holder totally forgot about Joseph for two years after returning to his position. How often do I forget those around me who help my life, whether in big or small ways? I need to be sure that I am focused on those around me and not on myself, always looking for ways to remember, thank, or encourage others.
Have a great day!
Lori - I agree with you about Joseph's attitude. If that were me in prison I'd be "why me-ing" all over. Did you notice that when he asked the cup-bearer to remember him to Pharaoh that he only said "I was kidnapped from the land of the Hebrews and now I am in prison but I did nothing to deserve it." He did not malign Potiphar nor his wife for putting him there? THAT would have been my main focus - "I was unjustly accused, she did this, she did that."
Anyway...my takeaway was that God uses EVERYTHING - even the disobedience of pagan cupbearers and bakers - in His plan. I have to remember this because yesterday someone stole my husband's computer bag containing his passport & housekeys, etc. I just have to remember that God will use that for good somehow. Maybe the person who took it will read "Habits of a Disciple" which was also in the bag and turn his/her life around. Who knows...
My other takeaway was God's timing. Yes it took two years but had it been sooner, Joseph would have gone back to Canaan and not be able to save his family from the coming famine. I need to be patient and wait on God's timing.
Last takeaway (I promise) is the 7 great years followed by 7 lean years. Nothing in this world lasts forever. We may live in abundance at some point then lose it all in a matter of time. We must be good stewards of what God gives us and focus on what matters most. Joseph clearly recognized God's hand in his life. He was careful to give God the glory and he was trememdously blessed for it.
Have a blessed day, everyone!
I love reading the comments and appreciate each that share.
My take aways- 1)vs. 40:8b " interpreting dreams is God's business" Only God knows the future; and 2) vs 41:18a "It is beyond my power to do this, Joseph replied, but GOD can" God is all powerful.
Have a great Faith filled Friday.
Gaylene
I just wanna cry right now. I have been in a heavy pit for the past week and prayed all last night for God to tell say to me what to do, or why it seems everything I (there's the magic word) do seems to not go anywhere when it comes to my work. I now have an answer, and He spoke through the word and you! Praise be to God! I feel so relieved and at more peace than before. The waiting has been literally stripping me of any joy, and now I see how to use the waiting time.
something old: When Isaac died it mirrored when Abraham died. Love the poetry in that.
something new: Gen. 41:16 "It is beyond my power to do this," Joseph replied. "But God can tell you what it means and set you at ease."
God was with and through Joseph throughout every stage of his journey.
nugget: I can learn anything in the pit. There is so much gained from this reading today...a lot to rest with.
A commentary by Vernon McGee said that during the period of Joseph, the kings of Egypt were not native Egyptians, they were Hyksos people. They were Bedouins from the Arabian Desert. Pharaoh was actually closer to Joseph in race than he was to the Egyptians. That gave him a bond with him, and might be one reason he trusted him to take over the position in Egypt. He also noted that in Exodus 1:8 where it says "there was a new king", the Hyksos had been expelled from Egypt, and the new king was Egyptian who did not know the Hebrews.
He also had a bunch of comparisons that I thought were interesting. Here are a couple.
Joseph took a Gentile bride... Jesus sill take a Gentile bride... the church.
Joseph stood before Pharaoh at the age of 30, Jesus started His ministry at 30.
Then he used a play on words to describe Joseph's sons. Manasseh meant "God made me forget", so Mr. McGee called him "Amnesia". Ephraim that meant "fruitful" he called "Ambrosia".
Joseph's life has always encouraged me. When I am in the pit, keep trusting...God is still there, when I can't see His hand working, I can trust His heart.
Jan TN
Wendy--So happy that you have some pretty weather today. I am certainly looking forward to some of that here in Vienna, as well.
My nugget for today: Gen. 41:6 Joseph had been in prisoned for a long time. At last his day came to come before Pharoah. Here was his chance to really "milk it". He could have bragged about his ability to interpret dreams. He could have made a big show over it. But no, he stated very humbly, the power and gift was from God.
Often time I am tempted to be proud, to make a big deal out of an ability that I have. I will remember that it is from God, not from me. I will also use my abilities and gifts to bless others the way Joseph did.
Good Morning!! I haven't left any comments since we started this study, but please know I have learned SO much from the ones you have all left. I am enjoying this journey so much, and it's only the 15th day!!!
Today's study was so touching to me as I have been "in a pit" several times in my life but sadly, did not rely on God's word to see me through. Morgan, thank you for your thought that we all need "storehouse of God's word ready to help us survive".
Also, I just wanted to say that although I have always believed that Jesus is my Savior, I have not read through the Bible and feel I am a "baby" Christian when it comes to studying His Word. Hence, I am not answering the daily questions, but am writing down (because I learn better that way)highlight points of each day in my journal and then my "nugget".
Hope this helps someone else who might also be in this situation.
Wendy, I am loving your vlogs! Thanks for everyone's comments, I am truly learning so much from them.
Have a great weekend!
~~Tracey
Checking in. I have read but don't have a lot of time to comment. Will add later.
Blessings everyone.
Lynn
I cannot help but compare this pit to Haiti's plight right now. My 9-year-old daughter said, "Mom, if all they have left is their faith, how are they going to keep it?" I hope they know that God is with them and He will bless them in the pit! And that ALL things, not some things, work together for Christ.
I have always loved the story of Joseph for his patience and grooming for his grand future!
For those of you who need the transcript, I'm sooooo sorry it's so late today. My husband didn't set the alarm this morning, and he forgot to mention that little detail to me. I have been running behind all day. I also had friends visiting from out of town and I knew once I missed my early morning opportunity to transcribe the video it wasn't going to happen until later in the day. So sorry. It is there now and I trust those of you who need it will avail yourselves to it.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Joy
Happy Friday everyone!
I have just been adding to my notes from all those who have commented and shared already! Thank you! Loved what Amy Jane and Morgen wrote and gleaned for their nuggets.
What really stood out to me came from Genesis 41:14, from the notes of my Life Application (NIV) Bible - " Our most important opportunities may came when we least expect them... Yet Joseph was ready for almost anything because of his right relationship with God. It was not Joseph's knowledge of dreams that helped him interpret their meaning. It was his knowledge of God. Be ready for opportunities by getting to know more about God"...
And that is just what we all are doing! Thanking God for you Wendy - daily.
Love
Marianne
Good evening ladies - Felt like spring today!
Tracey - I am the same as you. I did however read through the Bible last year, but that was all I did - read. Wendy has been such a blessing in her vlogs and the other women with their comments. I have always been been able to read, but understanding and applying to my life has been the problem. Those are the most important parts of reading the Bible. With everyone's help I am now learning to "study" the Word and I am extremely grateful for that.
I am learning so much from all of you and I can't thank you enough.
It looks like so many of us awoke to a Wendy-message that helped us to find our way through a dark night of the soul. I, too, have been in the pit and today I found the strength through the vlog and all of your comments to get through this and to know that God has a plan for mme when it is over and even if I think I am forgotten - He is there and in control!
I would love to print out some of the transcripts that JOYFUL is doing. Where are they? Wendy - if you read this, can you add a link to them on your website? I think that I, for one, would be double or triple blessed if I could print out and keep some of the best ones - like today - in my notebook. THANKS and blessings to all --
judi
Jan in TN. comments were great! I have not had time to listen to commentaries. I just appreciate all of you and your thoughts as we walk together in this awesome journey. Thank you Wendy!!
Hugs!
Susan
Thanks Jan for your notes. I copied them into my notebook. I have a question that maybe someone can answer. It says the Pharaoh gave Joseph a wife, a daughter of the priest On. My commentary said she was the daughter of a prince. If she is a daughter of a priest, what kind of priest? Anyone know? Jan's commentary said she was gentile but the Pharaoh's race was very closely related to Abraham's, so could it be a priest of His God?
I loved today's reading!
Two things that jumped out at me today. First, that when Joseph was put in a supervisory position in the jail, he took his job seriously. He was concerned & compassionate for his charges. When the cup bearer and baker had disturbing dreams, he noticed their distress and asked about them.
Secondly, Joseph had been humbled. Remember from yesterday when he seemed to be a braggart as he talked about his dreams. Now today, we see a different Joseph. Both time he made sure to tell that he was not the one who could interpret the dreams, but that it was God's business...only God could do that. Maybe the time in prison was necessary to bring Joseph completely to his knees and humbled before God.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Diane
I am so thankful for the blessings and encouragement that occur in "The Pitt". Thank you, Wendy, for helping us to focus on that small but important detail.
Meredith, I also saw Christ in the Chief Cup Bearer and the Baker. :) I found that fascinating.
This has been a busy week and I haven't been able to view the vlogs from Wed. to Fri until this morning. I gain so much insight and encouragement from them. Thanks again, Wendy.
Much love,
Nancy
Thanks Wendy for your vlogs, and thanks everyone for your comments. It is amazing how God reveals new things each time we read His Word. I read through the Bible last year, but I am gleaning so much more with all the insights from Wendy and from all the comments here.
Your sister in Christ,
Kathy in Indiana
Yesterday I had an aha moment. I have been in the pits many times until fairly recent medication keeps me from going deeply and lastingly there. Almost 50 years ago I was deeply in a pit and ended up in a psychiatric hospital for the weekend. On Monday I had to convince a team of Drs. why I should be let out. At that time, I told them I had a goal in life now - to help other people. Fast forward to the age of 51 when I was able to become a respiratory therapist and entered the geriatric nursing home population and pediatric nursing home field. Yes, all under 21 and all terminally ill. Now retired and spend time in nursing homes as a volunteer and with the "special population" locally. It certainly took a long time for me fully to go forth with my chosen endeavor and now I understand why. I have been chosen to bloom where I am planted.
Post a Comment
Home