Flies, Frogs, Gnats, and Boils
"But when Pharaoh saw that relief had come, he came stubborn." Exodus 8:15




My Take Aways


Something Old:

Exodus 8:1; 8:20; 9:1; 9:13

God wants me to worship Him and will do what it takes for me to turn my affections to Him and worship.


Something New:

Exodus 7:19
Even the stored water turned to blood.


Something to Do: The "flies," "frogs," "gnats," and "boils" that surround me may not be from my enemy, they may be from my Lord who is trying to get my attention. I need to turn to Him after the "flies" so the "frogs," "gnats," and "boils" don't get sent my way.


37 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found the prayer list and will be adding names of loved ones to my list to pray for them. Also wanted to add my oldest daughter, Erin and her hubby, Greg. Thank you Wendy and everybody!
Karen - central OR

Anonymous susan said...

Lord please help me to obey completely, no ifs, buts or whys.
Praying for all families, thankyou for all your prayers and encouragement.
Susanxx

Blogger Lynn - JnL4God said...

Wendy this was so good. And whether you rambled or what you had a great lesson in what you said. If we are honest, we all have a little Pharaoh in us. When the heat is off, we slack off. It takes determination to dig in hard and obey when things are going good. That's when we want to take a breather and coast.
I didn't have my 3 answers today, but after watching your vlog my apply will be: Obey quickly, promptly and fully.

Have a great day everyone!
Lynn - OR
PS Please add Nephew Mark and Wife Whitney to list. They have a lot of friends with other religious views and in my nephews case he has had very little christian teaching to even make a good choice from. Thx

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! How awesome was the message today? Amen, Wendy. Thank you for sharing. I started this study the first of January and this has been the best 34 days of my life! Praise the Lord! I wish everyone a day full of blessings as the Lord enlightens the eyes of our hearts to know Him better!

Bethany-OH

Anonymous Lori said...

WOW, Wendy ~ Even when you think you are out of your groove, you still ROCK! The Spirit is flowing out of you, and you are getting all of us to squirm a bit!

Somehow, my Something New:-was that I never even thought of myself as Mrs. Pharaoh, that's going to be on my mind all day long! I've got a particular area that I'm not being totally obedient with!

Something to Do: I need to do what I know He wants me to do! I need to quit teetering on the fence! The LORD wants my whole heart! Oh, when we are 100% in obedience with Him, can you just imagine what He could do with our lives? Abiding in Him, and His power, "spreading His fame throughout the earth" (9:17). Kingdom work GIG! That's what He's after. His Will being done on Earth, just like it is in heaven.

Blessings my favorite blogger's,
Enjoy Him and worship and adore Him all day long! Lori

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy I thought your video teaching today is great! You spoke right to my heart. Because I like to be in control I know for a fact that I change the clause requirements many times with God. I am convicted. Thank you for applying the teachings of Pharoah and making them teachings of Morgen.
In Exodus 9:15 God states that by now He could have wiped the Egyptians off of the face of the earth with a lift of His hand, but He chose not to so that they could see His power and that his fame would spread thruout the earth.
I wonder how many Egytians became believers in the One True God after they saw His mighty works?

I noticed too how sometimes Moses raised the staff and sometimes Aaron did....so as not to give 1 man the glory but to reinforce the fact that God was doing the miracles?

Nugget: Beware of my heart getting stubborn. The help read below interpreted "stubborn" as "heavy" in Hebrew. I know when my heart is stubborn it is a heavy, hard feeling.

Worship on GIG!
Morgen

Blogger Meredith said...

Good Morning! Wendy, I just want to know when we ever really have a groove! I have been missing mine for awhile. I am hoping to get back to one because I believe we will finally get the kids back in school today! Here in Oklahoma things shut down with ice and snow!

My nugget today:

Moses never abused the powers God had given him or tried to take control of situations without God leading him. Moses never questions God anymore or asks how will he perform his tasks. Moses has allowed the Lord to be in control!

Lord, Please soften my heart so you can be in control of my life so that when people see me - they will see you and know that you are the Lord!

Praise God for Karen's husband!

Blessings,

Meredith in OK

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning All!

What a wonderful lesson today...I agree with Lynn - OR, we all probably have a little of Pharoah in us. PTL for His forgiveness and mercy!

I would like to add my siblings and their spouses to the prayer list. I have been praying for their salvation and it's wonderful to know others will be lifting their name to our Lord and Saviour also!

Patty & George (sis & brother-in-law)
Kelly & Kade (sis & brother-in-law)
Brian (brother)

Thank you for the wonderful support here! I love you all! :)

Loyce

Blogger Gaylene said...

Like Wendy, God pretty much hit me with the same. My thought on 8:25, too was that Pharaoh wanted everything his way; how often is that me?

Have a great Wednesday!

In Him,
Gaylene

Blogger Danielle said...

Wendy, I just want to tell you, sister, the I love you!! You bless my socks off!(Learning your southern lingo after 10 years of living here.;-}) I am hoping to return to She Speaks this year and if I do, I'm going to find you and squeeze you until you can't stand it!

I love the idea of the Obedience Clause. Not so much the fact that we imply to God with one, but that now I have a proper name to call my selfish disobedience. God has been working on my heart for some time now with alot of things and I am the type of person who has to control everything. God and I are always struggling back and forth. Or, I am struggling not to listen and obey. And that was one thing that stuck out to me today. Exodus 8:19 I'm wondering how many times my heart remains hard against God and how many times I've not listened to Him.

Something else that struck me was Ex 8:22 God makes a clear distiction between His people and Egypts. God has done that with those who are born again and those who are not. He has given the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13 & 4:30. With that seal, it's not a promise that we won't have the flies, and frogs, and gnats, but it's the assurance that we have Eternal Hope. PTL!

Blogger Leslie in NC said...

Good morning all! Wendy loved the vlog- couldn't tell you were missing your groove - yes, I too am like Pharaoh -esp. when it comes to renegotiating or trying to meet God just half-way.

My nugget is that God is the Promise Keeper and that his purpose will be met. God tells Pharaoh in Exod 7:17 "I will show you that I am the Lord." and again in Exod 8:22 and again in Exod 9:14-16 when God adds his purpose. However many plagues it takes, God's purpose will be accomplished. May Leslie learn early on to obey ...and may it not take many plagues to get my attention.

Someone mentioned yesterday about how the lessons we are learning together are also matching up with lessons in another study. It's the same for me. In studying John, one of the big themes has been that blessing FOLLOWS trust and obedience. When we trust and obey, God will bless us.

May you all have a blessed day!
Leslie

Blogger mary said...

Good Morning All, Lori you have the right of it I did squirm a bit this morning! Wendy I don't have the words other then THANK YOU. Your words pricked my spirit this morning!! I saw in me something I didn't like! Oh Lord forgive me in my pharaoh moments! I have too many Moses & pharaoh moments! For the grace of Yahweh, the blood of Jesus, & the wisdom of the Spirit I am saved & can grow in the Lord. WOW!
I need to go back & read today's scripture again with this new perspective.
Be safe & enjoy this Wednesday the Lord has made.
Blessings & Peace, Mary

Blogger joann4u said...

Wendy- I thank God for your willingness to be transparent before us.

In return you help us see how we manipulate our own acts of semi obedience to our Father.

Loved the Obedience Clause description. You are spot on girl!

It was new to me that Pharaoh confessed in 9:27 and then declared the LORD righteous. (and of course sinned again in 9:34) I would not have seen myself in these pages if it were not for your ministry. Thank you!

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Good morning, GIGs

To Anonymous from yesterday on keeping up with the postings. I log on to my gmail/google account first on one tab, then on another tab open Wendy's blog. After I post my comments, there is a place to check that says "email follow up comments to your email address." Then any comment after mine goes to my in box. That may be one way to keep track.

Jeanne, I can relate to wanting to spend hours on end studying. But, as my pastor says, God wants you to minister to your family/husband, too. So if DH wants some Wheel time, God understands if you're gone for 30 mins. We don't want the enemy whispering lies to your DH.

What struck me in today's reading was Exodus 8:10 after Moses gave the option to Pharaoh to set the time on when he wants the frogs gone. His answer? "Tomorrow." Now as a procrastinator (still in the recovery process), that word is VERY familiar to me but I about fell off my chair. Why did he not say "Now, I want them gone now!"

Jon Courson said it best: "Pharaoh wanted one more night with the frogs. Oh he knew they had to go but not yet, not right now." Pause. Does that sound familiar? God convicts us of sin and calls us to repentance and we say the same thing! Oh.My.Gosh. Courson says further, "There are activities, people and places in our lives which the Lord says, "You thought you had that under control, all hemmed in. But now it hopped its banks and is taking over." We agree but when He asks when we want to be set free, all to often the answer is the same: Tomorrow."

That was very convicting to me. I'm the Queen of Tomorrows. Organize my scrap supplies so I can see the desk, oops, I mean, what I have and find what I need? Tomorrow. Plan the menu for the week? Tomorrow. Exercise? Uhm, definitely tomorrow. Get started on taxes? Maybe next week...Hmmm, I can smell the stench of the frogs. Ugh.

Mrs. Pharaoh signing off.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Blogger Runner Mom said...

Girls, these comments are so honest and "right on" with this lesson today. Mrs. Pharaoh here was convicted greatly! Wendy, you are just so precious and honest! Thank you!

Praying that I will be obedient to God 100% before any flies come my way.

Hugs!
Susan

Blogger Betty said...

Today is the day the Lord has made...let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Thank you Wendy for your honesty and letting us see you in one of your "out of the groove" days. However, I must say that your teaching was right on mark literally. I could see the separation of bone and marrow.

What a big revelation for me..this was the first time that I saw in my own heart how stubborn I am in many areas of my life. I SAW the comparisons of my stubborness and Pharaoh and how in each difficulty his heart is softened and then as soon as the difficulty is ended his heart becomes hard again. I HEARD the obedience call loud and clear.

How rich is our God in His mercy and forgiveness. I'm taking this message and holding it close to my heart today.

Blessings,
Betty

Blogger Carol said...

I have not been able to get here and read comments or view the video for the last couple days, but really have chewed over these last two days. God opened my eyes to the passages that dealt with Pharoahs hardened heart. My Bible explained God hardening Pharoahs heart to allowing him to do as he desired and thus suffering the consequences. Woah! That pulled on my heart loud and clear! So true.
Today's reading was along this same lines. Exodus 9:27 Pharoah admits to sinning and being in the wrong, but he did not humble himself before God. The word for humble himself means to deny himself. How many times do I admit sin, but do not go all the way and humble myself before the Lord. Too many. Verse 34 says he sinned again....went back to his old ways/desires.
This passage screamed out to me. I am no different than Pharoah.
The key that I picked up yesterday and was mentioned again today by Moses in verse 30. You still do not fear the LORD GOD. So here it is. What keeps us from humbling ourselves, denying ourselves is truly not fearing our LORD GOD.
I am speechless. Guilty as charged, Lord. Forgive me!

Anonymous Noni said...

I found the order of the plagues interesting. Water turned to blood. (the magicians could turn water to blood but they must not have been able to turn blood to water) Frogs came next. Did God turn the water to blood first so that the frogs would seek out fresh water? Then came the gnats and the flies. Frogs eat insects, but the frogs are all dead. Half the livestock is killed after Moses told Pharaoh that the Israelites couldn't stay in Goshen because their method of sacrifice was offensive to the Egyptians. God had Moses use ash from a brick kiln to cause the boils that even effected the magicians. The livestock and boil plagues seem to be symbolic justice. The plagues are escalating. The plague of hail is the first plague to threaten human life. In Exodus 9:14-16 we see that God could have just wiped the Egyptians off the face of the earth but didn't so that the whole earth would know there is no one like GOD.
I liked Wendy's Something Old and Something to do. Isn't it amazing to what lengths God will go to turn us towards him.

Blogger Brandee said...

Like all the other GIG, you hit me square between the eyes today Wendy. How many times have I partly submitted, gone my own way, then repented yet one more time? As you said, Wendy, I need a heart change. Yesterday afternoon I was reading the comments from the day and something that was said just hit me and that is when I realized I had to make a change. I don't remember exactly what it was but I do remember sitting at my kitchen table with tears rolling down my face. I pray my heart will not be stubborn, but I will change as soon as God says to change and obey Him.

I also took away Ex 8:19 where the magicians said, "This is the finger of God." They could see God but Pharaoh did not. How many times do others see God's hand and I don't in my own stubbornness? Or vice versa, I want to shout sometimes, "Can't you see it is God!?" when others don't see either, ie our unsaved loved ones.

Will is back at school today but went in two hours late. Headed back out now to a class party he is having for the 100th day of school. Have a blessed day GIGs!

Brandee, TN

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the scriptures, but didn't really "get it" until I listen to Wendy. WOW. I don't want to be a "Pharaoh". Thanks Wendy!
Carol - Thank you - I wondered why God hardened Pharaoh's heart.
joan

questions #1 - did Pharaoh get boils too (or just his people)?
question #2 - in vs 6 the livestock was killed, so where did the livestock come from in vs 20?

Blogger Val in KY said...

Wendy, I was just thanking God for you on my drive to work this morning. You see, I was not in the groove when I woke up and it culminated into a prayer conversation with God while I drove to work. I thanked Him I've been able to keep up with the reading and thanked Him for the insight I'm receiving from your vlogs. Thank you for your honesty and all your efforts and time...it's touching many lives.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings GIG,

Old in a new way:

Several times today we read God's heart for his people:
Let my people go, so they can worship me in the wilderness.

God's ultimate purpose for Israel was for them to worship him and him alone.

All the prosperity and blessings that are in the covenant were secondary to the worship of God.

Even today we have been released from the power of sin and death to worship God first and then all these things (prosperity and blessings) will be added to us. Matthew 6:33

Let's worship God always and at all times!

Debbie- North Carolina

Blogger jodi said...

Wendy, thanks so much for today's post and for persevering through whatever has thrown you off your groove so that you could share these wonderful insights with us today. I pray whatever it is, that it will be lifted from you soon!
I could certainly identify with you in being like Pharaoh.
Old: Ex. 9:15 - "By now I could have lifted by hand and struck you with a plague to wipe you off the face of the earth. But I have spared you for a purpose- to show you my power and to spread my fame throughout the earth." Wow, what an awesome, powerful and yet merciful God! Even Pharaoh with his hardened sinful heart, God spared him death at this time to show His power.

New: Pharaoh even went so far as to confess that he had sinned (Ex 9:27) and admit that the Lord is the "righteous one" and to beg for the hail to stop!
How often I want the bad things to stop and to seek forgiveness and then when life is comfortable again, just go right back to a rebellious, sinful nature.

Something to do: Stay close enough to God to know when He's trying to get my attention and wants me to change, to not backslide in those areas He wants me to leave behind for good!

Blogger Amy said...

Joan, I had the same question about the livestock. If they all died in a plague, how could the be involved in a later one??

Wendy, I totally agree about the obedience thing - it's me. :-( This passage also reminded me of the Israelites and how they'll do the same thing later - stray, beg forgiveness, repent, enjoy the sunny patch, and then stray again. They made me so mad! - and yet I'm just the same.

My questions ...
1. Ex. 7:19 I didn't know that ALL the water in Egypt turned to blood. I thought that only the Nile was changed.

2. Ex. 9:19 I thought the livestock all died??

3. Ex. 9:34-35 Pharaoh seems to be 'sorry' enough to wish for better conditions and relief from God's plagues but not enough to repent fully. Because of this, each time he sees his circumstances change, he ignores God and does what he wants - just like we do. I need to:
- Always seek God's will
- Be fully obedient
- Repent fully
- Keep my word
- Be mindful of how my actions affect the people around me (I bet there were some miserable Egyptians by the end of this story!)

About the frogs ... I've always wished I could paint ... can't you just see a mean, stubborn Pharaoh with a frog perched happily on his head??? :-D

Our snow is melting rapidly today and we're not supposed to get any more until Friday. We might actually have school tomorrow!!

Amy

Blogger Amy said...

PS - Jan from TN, thanks for sending me the Mark passage on Monday. :-)

Blogger Michelle said...

Bethany in Ohio, I loved your comment about this being the best 34 days of your life. I feel like this program Wendy has brought us is the BEST thing I do all day, because it makes the rest of my day so much better. I think about the reading and Wendy's lesson during the day and can't wait to read all your comments as they come in. It all gives me a much more "Godly" attitude as I go through my work day at school, take care of my family, and relate to my husband. God's way is THE WAY, and this study keeps me in His Word. Thank you Wendy and thank you GIG's! God bless you all. Michelle

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

If someone has some time this afternoon (3:00 pm - California time, so in about 1/2 hr), could you call in to Pastor's Perspective & ask the seeming discrepancy b/w 9:6 & 9:23 aka the cattle issue? The number is 1-888-564-6173. Pastor Chuck Smith & Pastor Don Stewart host this radio show. They are really knowledgable. I normally would call in but I just found out my aunt is in the hospital after a stroke last night so I have to visit her after I pick up my son. Thanks! If not, I'll try to do some research when I get home tonight.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a commentary online that referred to our question about the livestock. 9:6 says they all died; but there's more livestock in 9:20.
This commentary states: maybe only those in the field were killed; or the word "all" really means a large number.

Anyone else come up with an explanation?
This blog is such an amazing part of my day...thank you all for sharing.

Morgen

Blogger Kristin in Texas said...

Good evening GIGs,

Wow. Definitely a convicting lesson, but I had a different take on it. I was getting frustrated with the LORD (not an unusual thing). With all this power, why didn't HE just make it so - make it so the Pharaoh released the people. "...to show you my power." (9:16)

So then, I thought - WOW. How many times has HE led me in a direction and I disobeyed his wishes? How many times does He have to show me his desire for me to believe in His power? Am I a Pharaoh or what?

I am grateful for His grace and mercy - yes, I am Pharaoh - yes, I disobey. LORD, please come into my heart to hear you, to have faith, and follow You.

So grateful for this blog, vlog, study - am so proud of us all for sticking with you!! YAY for GIGs!!

Happy Wednesday!

Blogger tootsie said...

Wendy, thank you for being so honest, and sharing your heart. I don't really post very often but your comments hit a nerve. I hear Gods direction and I start to follow and my heart truly wants to obey, but too many times a little attack of frogs or fleas stops me in my tracks. Thank you for reminding me to keep going. That perserverence will get me where I need to go.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy - I too am thankful for all that God is doing through you. I am most thankful to hear that you are "normal" and get your groove off - I appreciate you sharing that with us!

I was struck as well as many of you as I kept reading and reading and suddenly, realizing that Pharaoh in this story is just like me. I tried to deny it at first, because the story is so like a tall tale, but I may have one of the most stubborn hearts around. I am very "type A" and like to be in control, so I typically think that "I've" got it covered. I am praying that I can first LISTEN to God to even hear what he is calling me to be obedient to, and then follow through.

I find that it is much easier or more natural for me to pray and be obedient when things are tough and I'm surrounded by flies. For me, the struggle is when things are seemingly smooth - that is when I get complacent in my prayer life and my leaning on God.

Happy Thursday to everyone - I think we're all back in school now?!
Kate in VA

ps - one last thing that I enjoyed thinking about - what would this story look like if it was written from another person's point of view? Pharaoh's? Random Egyptian citizen? Israelite?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar question about the livestock, but mine is a little different: how much time passed between each of the plagues? I always assumed they happened one right after the other, in a matter of days. Maybe there was a lot of time, enough time for the Egyptians to acquire more livestock. It seems insignificant for me to camp out on that thought, but sometimes my mind goes in tangents!

Janis, IN

Blogger Amy said...

I'm trying to find out something about this whole livestock issue, and I didn't find a definite answer, but here's something interesting:

In Matthew Henry's commentary, he says that "The Egyptians worshipped their cattle. What we make an idol of, it is just with God to remove from us." I never thought about that. Even today, in Cairo the Egyptians let their cows out early in the morning, and they go hang out at the beach for the day. I didn't make the connection to the livestock being idols!

If I find anything else, I'll add it!

Blogger Amy said...

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right, but the way that I understand it is that when 'all' the livestock died the first time, it was all of those in the fields, not including those indoors. The second time, maybe more were included.

http://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/exodus/gill/exodus9.htm

Is that right?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Wendy for today's teaching. I loved what you said about "the correct heart of obedience." I will be asking the Lord to give me that heart when obeying Him and not just try to do things half way or "my way".
Thanks so much, Debbie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts on my questions about the livestock.
Amy, what you wrote is some good points - even more to think about.
Love it that we are all searching and learning together.
joan

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Amy,
I think you got it! I looked at e-sword and this is the KJV:

Exo 9:3 Behold, the hand of the LORD is upon thy cattle which is in the field, upon the horses, upon the asses, upon the camels, upon the oxen, and upon the sheep: there shall be a very grievous murrain.

And here's Gill's commentary. Again, from e-sword:
"Exo 9:3 Behold, the hand of the Lord,.... Which was stronger than his, with which he held the Israelites:

is upon thy cattle which is in the field: this takes in all in general, of which the particulars follow, though limited to such as were in the field, and so did not take in what were at home in their out houses and stables:.."

I love e-sword. Most of the downloads are free (KJV, KJV w/ Strongs and some commentaries: Matthew Henry, John Gill, Jon Wesley. I'm saving up for the paid ones like Thru The Bible w/ J. Vernon McGee, Wiersbie and even Jon Courson (NT only)

Goodnight, everyone! See you all tomorrow.

Post a Comment

Home