"The children of Israel had lived in Egypt for 430 years. In fact, it was on the last of the 430th year that all the LORD's forces left the land. On this night the LORD kept His promise to bring His people out of the land of Egypt. So this night belongs to Him and is must be commemorated every year by all the Israelites,
from generation to generation.
from generation to generation.
Exodus 12:40-42
My Take Aways:
Something Old:
God will remove me from my bondage when He is ready and when He thinks I am ready.
Something New:
Exodus 9:16
Pharaoh asks Moses for his forgiveness for sinning against him and God.
Something to Do:
Commemorate God's goodness to me. Tell others about the goodness.
My Take Aways:
Something Old:
God will remove me from my bondage when He is ready and when He thinks I am ready.
Something New:
Exodus 9:16
Pharaoh asks Moses for his forgiveness for sinning against him and God.
Something to Do:
Commemorate God's goodness to me. Tell others about the goodness.






36 Comments:
Good stuff, Wendy, good stuff.
Since my DH is in Toronto right now my schedule is all wonky so I'm posting early.
My focus was on the plagues. I used to wonder why 10 plagues? Does God just like a nice round number? Why not just 5 or 7? I learned from Dr. Chuck Missler that the 10 plagues stemmed from Exodus 12:12 "...and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD."
These are the plagues and corresponding gods of Egypt:
1. Water turned to blood - Osiris, Isis, Horus, Hapimon, Tauret, Nu
2. Frogs - Hekt
3. Lice - Geb
4. Scarabs ("swarms") - Amon-Ra (Accdg to Dr. Missler, this is the top of the heap of what they worship. Symbolizes creation - coming from, oh gross, feces)
5. Murrain in animals - Apis, Hathor. Bubastis
6. Boils (Ashes) - Thoth, Apis, Serapis, Imhotep
7. Hail, Fire - Shu, Nut, Horus
8. Locusts - Nepri, Ermutet, Anupis, Osiris
9. Darkness (that was felt) - Ra, Aten, Horus, Tem, Shu
10. Firstborn - Pharaoh's own dynasty.
"We become like the gods we worship (Psalm 135:18)"
Listing those plagues again reminded me of the things that the bible says will happen during the Great Tribulation. Maybe by the time we get to Revelation, we can go back and do a comparative analysis.
And the whole passover. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I am so thankful to God for pursuing me all these years and not giving up on me so that in the time of judgment, I, too will have the Blood of the Lamb over my doorpost and I will be spared. Praise our ever patient, ever loving Abba Father.
I wasn't quite sure how to answer your question about commemorating. I think we do that now by reading His word, sharing and digging deep, deep, deep until God reaches the recesses of our hearts. So grateful to God for using your blog to reach out to all of us. Thanks, Wendy!
Goodnight fr So Cal.
Morning Sweet Sister's ~ Wendy, thanks for taking us back to Genesis and giving us that reminder of God's Glory in Exodus! I love how the Bible proves that everything God says He was going to do, HE DID.
My commemoration has evolved over this last month. Ya'll know I've been praying to have this desire to want to be with my mom. Well, we've spent more time together this month, than ever! Daily. I can't say exactly when it happened, it just sort of evolved. Just like God's Spirit! It's with us. That is how it is with my mom now. A closeness. Through the time spent with her and truly getting to know her, I've grown to love her! Well, I'll have to say, not by anything I did, but by EVERYTHING that God did. He did it. He heard all of your prayer's and I want to thank you so much. And, THANK YOU LORD, for doing something that to me was impossible! I wish I could share the good stuff going on between her and God. It is amazing how God works. I know it all happened too, because I was reading His Word daily, and day by day, He was guiding me according to His Will for me.
My New Today: I see how not only Pharaoh refused to obey the message of God, but how we stubbornly ignore the call of God to repent too! All sin is rebellion against God. Double Ouch!
Also, *this is too good! :)
As The Light of the world in contrast to "and the land of Egypt will be covered with a darkness so thick you can feel it...all that time the people could not see each other, and no one moved. But there was light as usual where the people of Israel lived."(Ex 10:22,23) Jesus said: "I am The Light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness" (John 8:12).
My To Do:
Oh my goodness, we need to stay in His Word and walk in His Light! Sin is crouching so close to us, and clinging to God is our only hope, in this evil world!
Another good day in the Word dear family! Love u Wendy, and love all of your posts ladies! LOVE the new people popping in, too! EVERYONE has a nugget! Lori
Wendy, that was some good stuff!! Thank you so much for all that you give to use through this blog.
Ex. 10:26 There are times God calls us to do something and we want to know right then why. But, we see in this verse that even the Israelites didn't know how they were to worship God once they were out of Egypt. When God calls, all we need to know in that moment is to obey. He will provide all we need along the way.
Ex. 12:43-51 We have the circumcision of the heart so we partake of the Passover of Christ. PTL!
A way to Commemerate. I think your idea for a button is a great way. Making sure we remember all that God has done for us through the years... through this year. We can celebrate together. And maybe at the end of this journey(365 days), we can all celebrate together through the world wide web!
Good stuff today Wendy. How can I commemorate my Jesus today? How about like the verse says: "this is the day the Lord has made; let us REJOICE and BE GLAD in it!" Rejoice and be glad that Jesus allowed me to know Him. And tell others either thru my words or actions about Him.
Old: "How long will you refuse to submit to me" the Lord asks Pharoah (and he asks Morgen)
New: Exodus 12:46 says that the sacrificial lamb the Isrealites use cannot have any of it's bones broken. Nice foreshadowing of Jesus.
Nugget: I loved Grace & Peace's list of plagues matching the Egyptian's false gods. I need to be aware of any idols or false gods that I have and know that "plagues" that may strike me could be connected to my idols.
Happy Thursday GIG!
Morgen
Just a quick comment here, while on a borrowed computer!
A thousand apologies to those of you looking for the video transcription. My computer is 'sick' :( I'm sorry that I am not able to transcribe Wendy's video's...however...I must say too, that I am thanking the Lord for removing my computer from my life right now. This week already I have spent more time with Him, with family and with friends. God had to take extreme measures to get me to release this "idol" which was consuming far too much of my time.
Thank you to all of you who have left comments and sent me e-mails calling me to come back here and encouraging me with your very kind words. You are all loved! I am resting and waiting on the Lord.
Grace and Peace - your husband is in Toronto!!!! That's only an hour East of me.
Karen - praising the Lord with you!!!! What a thrilling answer to prayer!!!!
Have a great day all.
Blessings,
Joy
Oh My!!
Wendy, Grace and Peace, you touch my heart and make my mind want to dig deeper into Gods word as do all these God fearing women in our study. How blessed we are to go on this journey together, my first time reading/studying the Bible, what insight you all have, thank you all for showing me how to make it Personnal. Can I call you my Friends!
Thank you God for bringing me to Wendy's site and these wonderful women of God, who openly share their thoughts, knowledge and love for you. I know you are using them to bring me closer to you and I am on FIRE to know and serve you better.
I pray my daughter, Sarah and Kim my daughter in law, who are on this journey with us are able to find time to look into the comment section from time to time, so they too may be blessed. With both working and with pre-teens and teenagers, I'm sure just doing the reading is a goal. Praise God!
Grace & Peace, your reference to Psalm 135:18
"We become like the gods we worship" WOW, now that's BIG!
I couldn't get past that, God settled me in that passage. How true that is and how much our Father wants us to be like Jesus, how much I want to be like Jesus!
The Nicene Creed came to me and would not leave me so I feel I am to share some of it with you all:
I believe in ONE GOD, the Father, the Almighty (isn't that what God was showing Pharaoh, the Egyptians and even the Israelites by all the Plagues..Exodus 10:2.."SO YOU WILL KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD) maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. I believe in ONE LORD, JESUS CHRIST the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, Ture God from True God, begotten not made ONE in Being with the Father. Through Him all things were made, for US and for our salvation he came down from Heaven, by the power of the HOLY SPIRIT, (the Lord, the giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, with the Father and the Son, He is worshiped and glorified.) he was born of the Virgin Mary and became MAN."
ALL FOR US!
My commemorating God's goodness to me, is my gratitude to our Father for all I am and all He is in me. I pray for deeper understanding of His word and a closer relationship with Him to be the child of God he made me to be. In Jesus name, Amen.
Gods Blessing's fr FL
slee
windy you came into my life with bible study just when i needed GOD's touch.I cannot believe what I am learning from this study..
I have been a christan for 50 years, I cannot believe what I am learning from this study. this study came to me when I have been the lowest in my faith ever. GOD does hold time in HIS hands,but I guess I want HIM to be in on my time table. just remember me in your prayers that I let GOD work on HIS time table. Again thank you.
windy you came into my life with bible study just when i needed GOD's touch.I cannot believe what I am learning from this study..
I have been a christan for 50 years, I cannot believe what I am learning from this study. this study came to me when I have been the lowest in my faith ever. GOD does hold time in HIS hands,but I guess I want HIM to be in on my time table. just remember me in your prayers that I let GOD work on HIS time table. Again thank you.
Wonderful vlog today. Wonderful comments. Praise you my Lord for all the wonder of this journey with Wendy and these faithful women (and a few men) who love you so much and who inspire me to love you more.
I commemorate God's grace today. Through Him, with Him, and in Him I have been able to let go of a sinful relationship that was keeping me from further growth. It was painful to let go, but joyful to know that for once I was able to OBEY Him. Now, I feel that my eyes and my heart are more open than ever to know and accept my Lord.
Halleluia. Praise you Jesus.
My application changed in reading everyone's comments. My application now is to really listen, and intentionally say the words that are so familiar to me; the Lord's Prayer, the Creed, the Blessing. All these things are written on my mind and on my heart at times, but meditating on them is not often done.
Last year I did start this process with the Lord's prayer, where I take each stanza as a lead in to my prayer; kind of like the amplified bible. So, as an example, when I say "give me this day my daily bread" I will add, "Jesus, Bread of Life, a portion of You; your love, your forgiveness, sufficient for today". In this way I meditate on God's Word, I personalize it, and now I can say "I commemorate" what He does for me every day.
Lori, thank you for sharing your story about your relationship transformation with your mother. PTL the way God is working in our lives!
Joy, so good to see you again!
Be blessed today,
Karen, Basel
Blessings of the gift of this day!
These chapters in Exodus are so rich, and as I shared the other day, of significant meaning to me for the Lord spoke to me through them at this time last year and called me to a new land.
My notes today say "From Slaves of Egypt to the Army of God."
In Chapter 12 verse 11 we read "Be fully dressed, wear your sandals and carry your walking stick in your hand. Eat the meal with urgency, for this is the Lord's Passover."
Reminded me very much of Ephesians 6...had not noticed this before! We are all members of the army of God...slaves no more through the blood of our precious Lord who will come again and lead us home.
Also, after locusts and darkness and now the threat of death, Pharaoh's heart still hard and Moses still secure in God's leading and his love for His firstborn, Moses leaves Pharaoh (Exodus 11:8) "burning with anger".
This really struck me. It shows the compassion of the messenger, and it encourages me when I have similar emotions in the face of people whose hearts are hard and whose eyes cannot see.
Also, I made a reference today back to Exodus 4:23 where the Lord tells us all how the story will end...what it will take to get through Pharaoh's hard heart and get him to release Israel - "I commanded you, "Let my son go, so he can worship me." But since you have refused, I will now kill your firstborn son."
Today I loved and took as my message Moses' words - God's message - "...not a hoof can be left behind." Exodus 10:26
Indeed, "we will all go - young and old, our sons and daughters, and our flocks and herds. We must all join together in celebration, a festival to the Lord." Exodus 10:9
We are all - every part of us - walking towards our heavenly home. We celebrate God's goodness here on earth with the anticipation of the most glorious celebration to come...and I can't think of much more excitement comfort and joy than that!
We are a formidable army led by an Indescribable King - Hallelujah!
Praying for God's protective hand to guide our days today and fill us up and over, so that his love is evident in everything we say and do,
Liz
Alaska
Liz, I absolutely love what you named today's reading, "Slaves of Egypt to the Army of God!" That is what we all are as well. Slaves of sin and darkness and once Christ saves us we become part of His army. I want to share as my commemoration today that my spiritual birthday is this Saturday on February 6th. On Feb 6, 2005 God had been pursuing me and drawing me back to Him for about a year and that Sunday at church is when I formally went forward, accepted Christ and asked Him to come live in me, dedicating my life to Him. I praise Him today for my salvation and for the radical healing he has brought forth in my life from that day forward. My story is a story of abuse and family alcoholism and all the struggles and bondage that trapped me as a result of that for the next 15+ years. I have my testimony on a sidebar post on my "Journey to Freedom" blog if anyone wants to read the full thing, but God has done amazing things in my life and I never tire of telling my story and what He has healed me from and the new life I have now! I celebrate Him today!!! I love You Lord with my whole heart, mind, soul and strength!
I have spend a lot of time on today's reading, it was so powerful and with Will back at school all day today I had the time to ponder, pray and really journal about it all. I praise Christ that his sacrifice covered me with His blood so that when death comes I will also be passed over.
Something new- 12:46, none of the passover lamb's bones were to be broken. Christ's bones were not broken either.
Blessings GIGs (and brothers). Praising the Lord today!
Brandee, TN
I want everyone to know I have prayed over all spouses, all names on our list today by name and that God will do amazing things among us!
Wendy, I'm glad you got your groove back on.
Thanks Grace and Peace for the list. I am putting it with my notes.
NEW: Yesterday I was very interested in the order of the plagues. I was thinking that it seemed as if God was mocking the Egyptians because they had mocked Him. And today in Ex. 10:2 it says, "I made a mockery of the Egyptians." I hadn't read ahead either. So it was a very cool verification that I was on the right track.
Old/New: The locust causing darkness for 3 days for the egyptians but the Israel had light. Darkness represents oppression and enslavement while light represents liberation and freedom.
Something to do: Just as the Israelites were protected from the death of the firstborns by the blood on their doorposts, I am protected from death by the Blood of Christ and that is something I should celebrate every day.
Praise: My son has not been to church for a very long time. When he was 16 there was a huge blow up in our church and he no longer wanted anything to do with them. Since he has been at basic training he has went to church to the orthodox service and really liked it. Even said he would like to find a church when he gets back home and maybe his girlfriend and another friend would go with him. I am thankful and continuing to pray.
Thank you Wendy for the encouragement to post! I always feel a little intimidated to post my answers, since, as I have mentioned before, this is the first time I have read through the Bible or participated in a Bible study!
The verse that stuck with me from todays reading was Exodus 10:23-
"During all that time the people could not see each other, and no one moved. But there was light as usual where the people of Israel lived."
It made me think about how the Lord can light up our lives when we reside in Him and His Word- A lot of my life has been spent in the dark, unable to "see" and afraid to "move" because I didn't have my priorities straight. I am so thankful for this study, as it has brought me "near to God" in a way I have never been before!
Elizabeth
Good morning everyone!
Brandee, thank you for taking the extra time to pray for our spouses. I know that God is working in my DH and we really needed encouraging today. He is going through a very tough time at his job right now and his burden is so heavy.
New: Isn't it obvious that God wants us to be His even when our hearts are hardened with earthly temptations. How He has orchestrated the Israelites' departure from Egypt and how we can be assured that He keeps His promises. Thanks Wendy for confirming that with your reference back to Genesis.
I just love the time I get to spend with all of you and feed off your insights.
One thing I didn't know was the great number of Israelites - 600,000 men, not counting the women and children - who made up the departing number of people leaving Egypt, is it any wonder that Pharaoh did not want them to leave.
Blessings,
Betty
Thanks Wendy. You were sizzling hot today - on fire, and I felt the excitement of the study too. I got chills.
I commemorate my Lord today -
God is faithful and keeps his promises. He is restoring my life right now - I'm in the process, step by step in seeing God work major issues out in my life that held me in bondage for over 15 years. BUT this restoration looks so different than I ever expected - God is doing it HIS way, NOT mine. He is surprising me each step of the way and this brings me great joy.
*This bible study is part of my restoration - God is opening up His word to my heart and my spirit like I've NEVER had before and I AM SO thankful! He does keep His promises!
I'm excited to think that it will also go to my childrens children.
The 3 days of heavy darkness caught my attention - something I'd never seen before. But there was light as usual where the people of Israel lived.
Anonymous of 50 years:
I will pray for you too - I'm right there with you sister.
Thank you to all of you:
You all give me so much to ponder and rejoice about.
My heart is full.
This lesson just reminds me that I got "saved" during the Easter season. I always become very emotional and sensitive at that time of year - which is coming soon.
joan
sorry, i didn't mean anonymous of 50 years, but anonymous and you said you've been a christian for 50 years.
sometimes my thoughts run too fast thru my head and I get all twangled up.lol
joan
Good stuff, indeed, Wendy!
I just want to post my commemoration to the Lord today.
God does keep His promises and it is so awesome when we get to experience that (and it's really nice when it doesn't take 430 years!!). Immediately when Wendy was talking about this idea of commemorating Him for keeping His promises, this came to me.
I have to commemorate and praise Him for His promise to never leave me, nor forsake me over the past 3 years. These have without a doubt been the hardest 3 years of my life. My mom went to be with the Lord and though that is a joyous thing for her (and for me to know she's with our Lord), it has been the hardest thing to live without her. She was such a blessing in my life and the void is massive. But my God is bigger, He is sufficient, He is faithful and He is bringing me through this valley.
I praise Him, I love Him and I thank Him for it!
Thank you Father God.
Amen!
Blessings everyone!
Good to read all of your godly insights. You all are an amazing bunch of GIG! I really like to hear from all the newbies (new ones) and to hear what God is doing in your lives.
There are several things about the plagues I want to list for you, that I got from a book about Moses by Theodore Epp that I thought were really interesting.
He says that God had 5 reasons for the plagues.
1. Ex.8:19 to show the mighty power of God.
2. 10:16-17 to punish Pharaoh for his cruel treatment of the Israelites.
3. 12:2 judgment of God on the gods of Egypt, (thanks for the list of their gods)
4. 12;3 warning to other nations
5. 4:33-35 testing the Israelites while in Egypt. Teaching them He was the One true God of their fathers, and they could trust Him.
Mr. Epp also divided the plagues into 4 sections. The first three, water to blood, frogs, and gnats, interfered with the comfort of the Egyptains.
The second 3...flies, livestock dying and boils were against the persons and possessions of the Egyptains.
The 3rd 3...hail, locusts and darkness brought desolation and death.
The 4th group, or the 10th plague brought death to the Egyptain's first born males, and related to the redemption of the Israelites.
I know someone asked earlier about how long all these plagues took. In my NIV study Bible I have approx. dates written down. The first time Moses went to see Pharaoh was around March 6,1463. On the 7th of Mar. Moses and Aaron returned and turned the staff into a serpent.
On the 17th of Mar. God turned the water to blood.
Don't have a date for the frogs. Maybe it was the same as the water.
The gnats were on the 19th of Mar.
The flies were on the 21st.
The livestock dying was on the 24th.
Boils on man and beast was on the 26th. Hail was on the 28th.
Locust was on April 1st. Darkness was Ap. 3-5,
The first born dying was on April 8th.
I'm sure this is all a lot of speculation on someone's part, but it shows that it happened in a fairly short time frame.
My commemoration to the Lord is answered prayer, and being able to point out to my husband what He has done. I thank Him for hearing me when I do call out to Him, He is always there.
Jan TN
Hey GIG,
Wendy,it is an honor and a privilege to share in God's Word wiht you everyday. I cannot believe the difference in my heart and soul; NEVER in any Bible study have I learned so much and have WANTED to be in His Word. That thought brought me to see Ex.12:28 in a new way: Just as the people of Israel did just as the Lord had commanded THROUGH Moses and Aaron, so we, the women/men of this Bible study are doing just as the Lord commanded through WENDY and her ministry and all of the GIG!!!!
I thought Job was such a good look for me into my soul, and now I find that Exodus is "ripping me apart" ;) in God's Way. I am so thankful.
Yes, He must be commemorated and we are the ones to "Declare His Name" ( a Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir song ).
My commemoration:He has been faithful and just, and I truly give Him praise that He created us to worship Him...that is our purpose. I see this being my heart's desire with each passing day...TO WORSHIP THE KING OF KINGS AND THE LORD OF LORDS
Love to all my GIG,
Jeanne
First time to comment but thanks to Wendy's encouragement today--here goes.
Some time ago one of you commented that you would not always have your mother here on earth to pray for you and family. Many years ago, I lost my sister to pancreatic cancer. Before her death, her biggest concern was that there would be no one to pray for her chldren like she did. Shortly thereafter, I read a devotional book called When I'm On My Knees by Anita Corrine_Donihue. In the devotion "Bless Through Generations" she writes, "Can it be that my simple prayers for them (Family for generations to come) will be generated by Your power, the same power released when Your Son died on the cross and rose again? Will these prayers be made ageless? I take comfort that when I am gone, my prayers will continue into eternity with You, Lord Jesus, interceding on behalf of each one.
Just as You prayed for me in the Garden of Gethsemane, I am assured that You accept my prayers for these, my children, my children's children, and on through the generations. I have no fear for the future, because I place them in Your loving care."
Her thoughts are based on John 17:9-11 when Jesus was praying for us.
This thought brings me much comfort and encouragement as I pray for my children, grandchildren, and for generations to come.
Today in our study, Wendy stated that God holds time in His Hands. Just like the promise to Abraham was made 430 years before it was fulfilled, God kept His promise! Abraham never saw it, but he believed God. Like Wendy said, the answers to our prayers might not be in our generation--But GOD is faithful to His promises!
Today I would like to commemorate God's faithfulness to me. I love the old hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness". In the refrain, Shelley Jennings added a line. Not only "All I have needed Thy Hand hath provided, but also All I have need of Thy Hand WILL provide. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!"
Father,
I want to praise You for Wendy's sacrificial obedience as You work in her and though her to share Your Word with us. I pray Your rich spiritual blessings in Christ on her and each sweet sister doing this study. Thank You for leading me to participate!
Lyn TX
My Commemoration: He is so incredibly faithful. He has walked with me for the last 5 1/2 years healing me from Spiritual abuse and overcoming fear. He has strengthen me by HIS word and has made me whole.
Praise You Jesus! Thank You Father God, Lord and Holy Spirit.
Wendy, again thank you so much for your insight today. Isn't it great to have your groove back!
I was struck by 12:51 "On that VERY day the Lord brought the Israelites out". It just reminded me how important it is to wait for God's timing. As you said "He holds time". How often we get impatient and move before it's time.
My husband and I are in the middle of waiting on God's timing. Our little company (I say little because it's my husband and one other employee) is waiting on a huge payment to come in for services performed nearly 4 months ago (it feels close to 430 years!). Anyone who owns a small business knows how much that can choke you. But we have prayed, believing that God is faithful to provide and He has! We have maxed out our credit line and God has supplied "just enough" to make each payroll, taxes and bills.
I will be commemorating receiving that payment when it comes because I know it will be the VERY DAY we need it...Praise the Lord for his mercy towards us.
To Elizabeth (first time studying)...I'm so glad you're posting. 10:23 you mentioned struck me also (Egyptians in darkness and Israelites in the light). It made me think about the "boundaries" God gives us. Sometimes we, or I, feel God's commands are too restricting. But in the darkness, they could not move! In the light - there is freedom! I was so thankful for that illustration.
The verse reference isn't coming to me, but in the New Testament it says "these things were written for us to be examples". I'm enjoying all of the examples!
Blessings to you...
First off, welcome new posters! Glad our blog-family is growing! Please continue, I love everything you all write, I have SO many good notes to reflect on from this - SO MUCH more than what I would get if I were just reading this bible on my own. Thank you Meredith for showing me this beautiful path, I am so grateful to all of you.
In my Redemption Group yesterday, we were commissioned to each write a Psalm (at least one). I tried to start yesterday and was having a really hard time getting below my own surface, which is an odd thing to struggle with. I think the timing is perfect, though, because now I can commemorate my faith, my turning everything over to God by writing my Psalm(s). By honestly crying out to Him, and also by praising Him for bringing me so far.
It was also pointed out yesterday that as Christians we WILL suffer, guaranteed; but that it is a test of our faith and a manifestation of God's perfect LOVE for us. If he gave us what we wanted without showing us his mighty power, we would have no scope of it, no appreciation for it, and ultimately, no faith. And finally, we were taught that suffering IS the plan, it isn't what went wrong with the plan. Nice little glimpse of the big picture there.
SO, my take-aways ride on that teaching:
Old/New: God has a plan. It is greater than ours, and includes more than US, more than we even know about. Also, that by suffering we are able to break through to new ground, and able to deepen our love of Him, so that, eventually, we are free of all of our idols and can worship Him whole-heartedly.
New: (showing my "christian" age here) I didn't realize that there were so many details to the Passover festival. I guess I never paid much attention to it in my previous experience, because it was never really highlighted (from what I recall). Thank God for that little lesson.
Also, I was struck by the "burning with anger" statement. Up to this point, I had viewed Moses as just the middle-man who tells Pharoah what God says, then tells God what Pharoah says, etc. It made him seem indifferent to me. I am grateful for this phrase to open my eyes that he was as much a part of this as God and Pharoah was and that he loved God so much that Pharoah's resistance and enslavement of Isreal really pissed him off!
Nugget: That everything E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G that happens is God's plan, the good, the bad, the ugly. He is the creator and author of our lives and our Heavenly Father really does know what's best for us and will give it to us at the exact moment when we can most fully appreciate it as a gift from him. God please continue to soften my heart, break it so that I may see the idols that I don't recognize as such and let go of them to more fully follow you.
Happy Friday-eve all :)
Blessings from the sunny Pac.NW
Gosh, it is just awesome to come back on here to read everyone else who posted after me....thank you GIG! I love our Bible Study....especially thank you GOD for allowing this to happen and for Wendy's obedience to You.
Praying for all our hubbys and family members.....raise the roof ladies!
Morgen
Grace and Peace, I love your list! Thanks for sharing!
To all of the first-time commenters, thanks! It's great to have more people to learn from.
1. Ex. 10:11 I didn't know that Moses ever asked for only the men to be released to worship. Where is Pharaoh gettin gthat from?
1. Ex. 12:13 This part struck me differently this time. Why did God really ask for the blood to be on the doorway? Foreshadowing? For the people to be obedient? He came personally to "clean house," as someone said, so it's not like He didn't know who lived there - He knows everything! Makes me realize that He really does have a purpose for every little thing.
3. As a kid in youth group we used to hold Passover dinners for the congregation. I knew that the no-yeast policy was due to the rush in which the Israelites left Egypt, but I never realized that God commanded them to commemorate it like this BEFORE they actually left. He gave them the no-yeast rule before they ever ate their yeast-less bread that night! How cool is it that He had every detail of this journey planned?
Wendy, I took your 'commemoration' direction a little different, more as something to physically DO to remember and celebrate. Brandee, you mentioned that Saturday is your Christian birthday, and I plan to have special meals/cakes for my kids when they reach that point. Every August 2nd, I remember that special day at camp when I first understood what Jesus did for me. As modern Christians, though, as much as I love all of our 'praise and worship' stuff, I miss the reverence that comes with worshipping in the traditional way - with special candles and ceremonies. During Advent my family eats by candlelight each night. Maybe we'll start doing that more often and use that meal as a special time to talk about what God's been in our lives. Gotta think about this one some more .....
OH, I almost forgot ...
My husband Dave is off at a big men's conference with a group from church this weekend. He left this morning and it starts tomorrow. He asked for prayer before he left. I don't know if this is his time or not, but I know that God is pulling him closer. Thanks for praying! :-)
I love coming back to read the comments. It was quite a day. My son & I were having a hard time getting out the door this morning, I lost my peace! Then as I was driving I realized I had forgotten to put my spiritual armor on. So right then & there I prayed the Warrior's Prayer & apologized to my son. It was all spiritual warfare. God even gave us a spectacular sunrise when we got to school. His compassions ARE new every morning.
Joy, it's great to have you back. My DH says its really cold there! Who knows maybe God can engineer a divine meeting somehow. Btw, I'm glad that you are getting to spend more time w family - esp w your son going to university in a few months.
Brandee, thanks for the prayers!
Noni, praise God that your son is seeking Him. Yay!
Jan, thanks for the Epps reference. Do you have all 4 volumes on Moses?
Lyn fr TX, what you shared about generational prayer really touched me. My mom was also our family's prayer warrior. It's comforting to know that her prayers (combined with mine) are working in my children's lives.
All the comments really blessed me today. Thanks. Now I'm off to my women' s group. Every 1st week of the month we do intercessory prayer. I will lift up every participant in this blog.
See you all tomorrw!
Lori I like what you said about your "something new" and I wrote it down in my journal. I also underlined the scriptures regarding the light and the darkness. Thinking about even when God create the Earth and seperated the darkness from the light. Same with His Light. Darkness cannot enter there.
My Something Old: Ex. 12:13 "When I see the blood, I will pass over you!" I'm so thankful for the blood of Jesus and the sacrifice He made for me! I don't have to worry about putting blood on my door b/c Jesus already paid the cost.
My Something New: Ex. 10-12 Pharaoh would allow the men to go worship God, but no one else. That was NOT good enough...for God it is all or nothing! God wanted all of His ppl freed, not just the men. And b/c of Pharaoh's attitude, God sent more plagues. He is trying to teach Egypt that He is God. You don't play with God or ignore His call and get away with it.
My Something To Do: God wants my all...or nothing! He does not want 1/2 of me, 1/4 of me, not even 3/4 of me. He wants all of me! Reminds me of that scripture that says "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:16) Either all or nothing...no inbetweens.
As always, loved reading everyone's comments and Wendy's blog. You all are such a blessing!
GIGS!!!
Thank you Wendy! Thank you GIGS (I just love that). I am learning so much from each and every one of you. I feel God working in me like never before! I can't wait to jump in & see what new things I'm going to be blessed with each and every day. I love y'all so much.
If I could make a prayer request for my friend and her son - he is 25 yrs old and very sick. He is in the hospital right now. He is a great young gospel singer and a wonderful young man. Please pray for them. His name is Branderious & his mom's name is Cynthia.
Praying for all,
Stacey in TX
Grace and Peace, I wish I had all 4 volumes of Epp's studies on Moses, but all I have are the first 2. I have almost the whole Bible's commentaries by Vernon McGee...but Exodus is one that I don't have. My mom taught the whole Bible using McGee's commentaries, and after she quit teaching, she gave them all to me.
Hope you all have a good night...it is really rainy here, maybe it will finish melting the snow from last week...
Jan TN
I have to say this study is really helping me with my own religiuos and personal life-my family is now atarting to ask questions and follow along as we read together. Praise God that he will take me when he feels I am ready and He is ready-He will rescue me from the slavery of sin! And I pray that my family will also be saved-Stanley (husband); Gregory (11 year old son): Alex (8 year old son) and Shiloh (2 year old daughter), as well as my in-laws and parents. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wie ist das wetter[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter net[b][/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]zdf wetter[/url]
[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]10 tage wetter[/url]
Post a Comment
Home