On Our Side
"What if the Lord had not been on our side?"
Psalm 124:1


Oh FIGs, I miss seeing you today. I am bugged-eyed with the time change. Smile. I was unable to record today but did have internet access to make a post.

Today's reading included many psalms/songs called the Psalms of the Ascent. These songs were written to help the Israelites remember what God had done for them. It is believed that they sang these psalms/songs on the ascent to Jerusalem for the festivals. As you read them, 124-134, read them with our past readings in mind. They will truly come alive. Again, these are some of my favorites scriptures in all scripturedom. (I think I made up a word.)


My Take Aways

Something Old:
The benefits of being a Believer (Psalm 103)
God:
Forgives all sins
Heals all our diseases
Redeems us from death
Crowns us with love and tender mercies

Something New:
Psalm 109
Those wicked, those who were lying about David were those he loved. He even prayed for them. Another great example from King David

Something to Do:
Here is a something to do for all of us. I did this on the plane.
In your notebook write down all the things God has seen you through, times you knew and felt Him on your side. This is a great exercise!

This is a video I posted last year. It finds beautifully with the theme of God being on our side and seeing us through the difficulties of like. Enjoy!



18 Comments:

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Wow, Wendy, great video. It was very moving. Thanks for sharing that. The exercise you recommend is good, though most of my experiences are written in my journal. I like going back & making notes on what God did afterwards.

I found it interesting that Psalm 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem falls on today's reading. May 14, 1948 is the day Israel became a nation again in fulfillment of Ezekiel 37 re the valley of bones. Happy 62nd birthday, Israel.

It is further proof that this book we are reading is divinely inspired and we can hold on to the promises contained in it. What a blessing.

Have a great day, everyone.

Blogger susie921 said...

Here, I am up so late that I see tomorrow's post already.
For me Ps. 103 has many messages:
1. Our benefits from God for believing and praising the Lord:
forgiveness of our sins
healing our diseases,
He redeems our lives from the deepest, darkest of times,
and crown us with love and compassion.
I also found in this psalm, that our Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.

And now I am up because of my son who just seems to think my husband and I owe him a car. He does need one but has yet to learn to save for one. He is a full times student so doesn't earn much. He is so upset because to help my daughter Kelly go through a thorocotomy to remove a cancer spot in her lung I promised her a car. This set a rift between my son and I. No matter how it goes he cannot understand how important it was to have Kelly accept the surgery.
It seems cancer is destroying my family.
Sometimes I just don't know what to do. When Kelly was under therapy and ever so ill I created a prayer using scripture to pray over her. As Ryan was not coming along in understanding Kelly's plight and not following the good path I created a prayer for him.
I pulled it out and while could not read over him, read the prayer quitly from a different room.

God bless us, we can see the glory of the stars tonight. No more rain and cloudy weather. To think God could call them all by name.

I know you don't know me and address each other. I am Susie, mom of 4 kids--oldest who just got married is 26 she is Kate now living in Chicago, son Eric is 25 still in professional school, then comes my Ryan who thinks we should give him all. And finally Kelly my 17 yr old daugther with cancer. She has a 20 percent chance of making a long term survivor. Not good so I ask for prayers for her. I gave her back into God's hands to provide care for her as I am helpless and God can do all things through Jesus.

So now I am finally getting sleepy. Hopefully I will sleep well, not be too tired tomorrow and hopefully accomplish so help for Ryan.

Please pray for my daugther Kelly and my son Ryan.

Love everyone,

Susie

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi all and Susie especially.

Susie, I just saw your note and wanted to give you a Big cyber hug.You've for sure got a lot to deal with, but God is bigger than all of it. You set a very good example for all of us by dealing with your sleeplessness by coming here, by praying your special prayer for Ryan, and for reminding yourself to give the problems over to Him. "For He knows the plans He has for you...." Susie, I have watched a student of mine battle brain cancer the past 18 months. He is the youngest of 4 children. I have often thought about the effect of the cancer on the rest of the children - one of whom was in the college app. process when his little look-alike brother was diagnosed. I also often think about how much the mom has gone through. My heart aches for both you and she! Susie, God sees everything you have endured, and He is pleased with your bravery, courage and fortitude. I wish I had Lori's gift for quoting a dozen scriptural references for any of life's circumstance!! Right now let me just say that YOU are a woman after God's own heart. Keep praying to Him about, and for, Ryan. I will add this situation to my prayer list, and I will SAP (Stop and Pray) for you each time I see the student I mentioned above.

My nugget for today jumped right out as I began reading. I could "camp on" this one a long time:
Psalm 103:1-2
"Let all that I am praise the Lord;
with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
Let all that I am praise the Lord:
May I never forget the good things he does for me."

Praying for all requests. Bless you all as you seek Him and praise Him and hopefully her from Him today!!

Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England

Blogger Amy said...

Hi, Susie, it's nice to meet you. I'll pray for your son and daughter.

Grace and Peace, I've never heard the theory that all names might start out in the Book and get removed. I've only heard that you ask for them to be written there and they may or may not come out based on your choices. Definitely something to think about. Thanks!

Today's 'praise music' psalms made me think about what and how I worship. I underlined all the phrases that are written into modern praise songs and the concerts and services where I remember singing them. My bro-in-law loves secular concerts b/c he says that the music and lyrics are 'better' than Christian ones, which are awkward; I disagree, but I have no desire any longer for those kinds of concerts. Music is such a means of worship to me that if the music were secular, I would be worshipping something other than my God. Whether happy or sad, begging or praising, music seems to help me express what I want to share with God in ways that I myself can't create. When I feel freest, I often sign along because it seems to communicate something I can't. I love this Third Day song and the video was well made. I think the kids and I will turn up the radio today and dance! Maybe we'll make Wendy's praise list together, too. My daughter's starting to really point out God's hand in daily events. I love hearing what she comes up with!

"Let all that I am praise the Lord ..."

Amy :-)

Blogger Regan Jones, RDN said...

God is looking out for me today. I was behind on my reading by a day, so I ended up seeing this video post and boy did it speak to me! I was almost moved to tears...what a blessing! Thank you for all that you do. Safe travels!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning GIG!...G&P...thank you for the May 14th 1948 factoid. I love the "God-incidence" too!

Susie...you and your family will be prayed for. I SAP....

Old: Psalm 103:13. "The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him." Amen from someone who needed/needs a tender father.

New: Psalm 108:4. "For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds." Like Jen-Ren did yesterday, I spot a song here!

Nugget: Psalm 109...Wendy I underlined too how David loved and prayed for the wicked. Wow. Good example for me to SAP when someone has offended me in any way.

Happy Friday all.

Praising Him!
Morgen

Anonymous Lori said...

Well, Friday, need I say, another quick week!

Susie, Your prayers too, are tucked in my journal and I will be praying for your children. I do believe our children keep us on our knees – which is right where God wants us to be.
I any situation, we have His hope, the presence and power of God within us, that gives us hope. Our belief in God prepares the way for miraculous thing to happen! “For nothing is impossible with God” (Luke 1:37). Hold on to your hope -healing young Kelly, and harmony within your family. “How wonderful and pleasant it is when [Ryan, Kelly and myself] live together in harmony” (133:1). No matter what, you will have God’s presence with you. “We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters the inner shrine behind the curtain” (Hebrews 6:19).

Jennifer Renee, I, too have been “hearing” scriptures in the songs I listen to. I love it when this happens. It opens up the scripture even more, and the song to, I might add!

To all who our praying that your children will be saved: “His salvation extends to the children’s children of those who are faithful to his covenant of those who obey his commandments!” (103:17)

My New: Psalm 110:1 – When Jesus went up to Heaven, He fulfilled the prophecy of the Holy Spirit which inspired David to write this verse. (Mark 12:36).

“Let all that I am praise the LORD; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name… may I never forget the good things he does for me.” (Psalm 103:1 & 2).

Enjoy His Glory today! Hugs, Lori
Praying for you today Wendy! You are so close, yet, still so-so far away! May God’s Holy presence fill up the Worship Center. May hearts come ready to hear your message. May the Holy Spirit flow right out of you today and into their precious hearts! May lives be moved and changed. May you just begin to stir the longings in them, as they hear Jesus coming out of you! Lord, may you use Wendy today to do some of your glorious Kingdom Work. She has a desire for others to share in her goodness. Amen.

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

Susie, you really are going through a lot right now. I just put your prayer requests in Braille to put in my special prayer box that I'm making.

When I was 19 I developed cataracts in my right eye. My eye doctor did not want to do surgery. He looked at the percentage that said surgery wouldn't help. With my unsaved self I looked at the percentage that said surgery would help and right after I turned 20 I had cataract surgery. It gave me some of my sight back at least for two years.
Susie, if doctors tell you that there is only a 20 percent chance that your daughter will make it keep having faith and stand on that 20 percent chance. God can do miracles with that 20 percent.
Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Susie, here's a suggestion for your son who thinks you owe him a car. Tell him whatever money he saves, through maybe a summer job, you'll match it. My dad gave his friend's daughter a job helping him paint and do other repair jobs around his house. He said this to her because she wanted to buy a car and it helped her to learn how to save money for things she wanted. This is just a suggestion.

Blogger Debra said...

Oh Dear Wonderful Father Thank You for this post and video. Just as the song says I thought i was all alone yesterday but you WERE there for me!
Ps 108:4-Your Faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
Ps103:1- My Favorite- Let all that I am praise the Lord, with my whole heart, I will praise HIS Holy Name.
Ps110:1 Sit at a place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet.
Ps124:2 What if the Lord had not been on our side when people attack us?
Ps124:6- Praise the Lord!
Ps 124:8- Our help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.

Thank You Wendy for letting Christ work through you. Tears are all over my face!
Love, Debra

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

I tried to schedule metro access, my transportation, for my dentist appointment for next Thursday. I was told that my eligibility ends on May 17 and I have to get reevaluated before I can use them again. I never got a letter from metro access about this. They will pick me up to get to the reevaluation appointment but if I have to go to the eye doctor again to get a report from them metro access will not pick me up. I'm hoping metro access will let me use my eye report from last November. I don't know how long this process will take. I'm on the phone right now waiting to talk to someone about this. This has dampened my good day and I want to cry. This is real stressful.

I'm going to see if my dad can possibly take me to the dentist next week. My dentist is about 45 minutes away from me. I still also need to make my other doctor's appointment which is in D.c. and can take the bus or get a neighbor to take me.

Anonymous Jennifer Renee said...

I just talked to someone from the eligibility office at metro access and I'm being given an extension until June 28. A new application will be sent to me to get filled out. I was given the extension because the person I was talking to saw that I'm blind and the expiration date is on the id card we're given.

My day is back on track.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susie,

I read daily but don't always have the time to post but today I felt the need to let you know that the percentages are not God given they are man given and when prayer is in the mix God takes over. Be assured that your prayer requests will not go unanswered, I believe that our God is great and He alone is who we should count on.

You are in my prayers,
Mary Ann

Blogger Debra said...

Jennifer Renee,
Gods favor for you with the extension. I prayed for you right after I read your 2:28pm post.
Debra

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Susie, (((HUGS))) to you for the situation with your son. I pray that God will soften his heart and root out any bitterness and resentment towards you or his sister. I pray that he realize the reason behind your actions. Maybe his older siblings can talk to him? I know it's difficult when these family situations arise. Thankfully, we do not have to go through them alone. Continued prayers for your Kelly's healing.

Amy, I agree with you. I can't even listen to secular music anymore. My ipod is an all-Christian mp3 player - I don't want any contamination from the world.

ProfPalate, welcome!

Jennifer Renee, praise God for the swift answer to prayer. I love these instantaneous ones. I pray that your application be completed and processed before the deadline.

Enjoy your weekend, dear GIGs!

Blogger Michelle said...

Wendy, praying for a blessed and fruitful conference with the California ladies. May your message be just the words they need to hear to strengthen their walk with Him. Have a great sleep, a wonderful day tomorrow, and a safe flight home.

Love you!

Michelle in New England

Blogger Allie said...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the vlog. Wendy, I thank you for all your insights and to see how God uses you to reach so many of us. And to see how many people responded to God's words just blown me away. I just wanted to tell you how many times I've tried to write something and nothing comes out. I'm closer to God than ever because of all of you. Thank you all for your comments. I'm actually a little behind my reading I'm actually only on Apirl 27th.
I've also been following little Gabriel's story. To see how God had listened to all of your prayers. I'm just so touched by how God listens to prayers. I do have a prayer request for my son Ryan. He is 12 years old. He has been ill for about 5 weeks now. He started out thought it was a stomach flu. He had a terrible stomach ache for about a week. Everytime he eats his stomache will hurt. Then he had diareah for almost 2 weeks. Now he has been vomiting for about 8 days now. He losts 10 pounds already. He could barely keep any food down. The doctor is not sure what he has. It is so hard to see him growing weaker everyday. My prayer request is that they're able to find what's wrong or nothing is wrong. We're not able to get stool sample from him because he hasn't been eating. But they need the stool sample to test. I know this might be too much detail. The doctor said it could be as simple as parasites. But they need the samples. I need prayer warriors out there to prayer for my son. Please pray for intervention so that he will be heal completely. Pray that he will be able to eat again. I know our God listens. Thank you all so much.

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Allie, from one Mom to another, let me walk alongside you as we approach God's throne. We beg for His mercy and forgiveness. We ask that He heal Ryan of his stomach ailments. That the doctors will have the wisdom to find the casue. That whaever is inside his body be expelled. May he have complete healing. May his appetite come back and he goes back to being what normal 12 year old boys do. Keep him in the palm of Your hand, sweet Jesus. Help his mom to be a comfort to him and bring angels to minister to her hurting heart right now. Thank you for hearing us, Father. In Jesus' wonderful name we pray. Amen.

Blogger Michelle said...

Allie,welcome. Praying for Ryan to be healed . May the Lord send wisdom to his doctors to heal Ryan of this illness, and may the Lord send peace and hope to his loving mother, Allie. In Jesus name, Amen.

Michelle in New England

Post a Comment

Home