"What sorrows awaits the leaders on my people...they have destroyed and scattered the very ones they were expected to care for, says the Lord."
My Take Aways:
Something Old:
Don't deceive myself to think my heart to think no one could never harm me.
Something New:
Does my heart ache like Jeremiah's heart for other believers? Not nearly enough.
Something to Do:
Lead with integrity. Remember that serving others in the name of the Lord is a high calling and an honor. Stay close to the Spirit of the Lord as to only speak that which has been confirmed in my spirit.






30 Comments:
Wednesday, a brand new day to wake up and anticipate the Lord’s presence with us!
Wendy, the words from your heart are pleasing to us – and I just have to say, thank you for turning us to God, every day! Lifting up all the gals across this nation who are hurting. May they receive a portion from God today, to hold on to. May they put their hope in Him, and through this period of hardship - cling to Him to receive peace, that only He can offer.
Something Old: “When I will raise up a righteous descendant from King David’s line” (Jer. 23:5). I love reading the foretelling of Jesus Christ!
Something New: “Therefore, the paths they take will become slippery” (12).
If we deviate from God’s Word, and choose not to read it, before long we will slip, we will begin to blend into the world - it can not be helped! The paths are slippery and are made by the enemy - by the trickster himself! He will do anything to keep us from reading God’s Word and to “stubbornly follow [our] own desires” (17).
Something to Do: Cling to the name of our precious Lord, “The LORD Our Righteousness (23:6 NIV). Jehovah-tsidkenu. “Righteous is more than goodness; it is a right standing with God. Righteous means to be straight. It is to do what God says is right, to live according to His standards.” (LORD, I Want to Know You, Kay Arthur, 157).
My sweet sisters, we have the promise that we can hold on to, the promise of a new covenant, the covenant of grace --- and with it, a new heart! “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Cor. 5:21). Does this bring a smile to your face this morning dear, GIG? We have a new heart! Jesus lives in our heart this very moment. God’s Temple is in us. We can approach him at all times. He is with us, and He is always going to be with us. Thank you, for everything you have done for us, dear Lord! We do not deserve your kindness, not one little bit. Help us to choose Your path; not the slippery one that the enemy has in mind for us! Amen.
Sister’s, God’s Word is more precious than gold! Loving Him and loving you all, too! Lori
Dixie, May you be lavished on today by your Father who adores you, who is right beside you, all day long. My He keep you hidden in his shelter of comfort where you can not help but feel His strong presence. When you feel panicked, cry out to Him, he is right there ready to hold you up with his mighty strong arm. He loves you; you are His sweet daughter. Extra prayers coming your way today and tomorrow from all of us! We are surrounding you with our love.
PS Leave it to you, to be reading along and staying ahead!
So, Jennifer, I think you just may be on to something as to why I’m posting extra (!) smile!!! I always about die when I notice it happened, it’s not like I need any extra posts looming on the blog! Ha-ha! I’ll have to watch that. I’m happy you’ll be with family this week– glad you can take your lap top along, too.
Michelle you brought a smile to my face, sister twin! You’ve got to figure a way to go out to eat, to get you outta that kitchen! – My family prefers this, but I’m sure it’s my cooking! [sweet Le Ann, over at her place, - ‘she cooks’ is helping me in this department!] You, most likely are a fabulous cook, so thinking about it, you’re stuck! Smile.
Jodie, we welcome Luke and Charlie to our prayer list of kids.
Keeping my ears and eyes open - anticipating Him today to guide me, teach me, and love on me! Hugs sweet, lovely ladies! Lori
Hi Lori
Jod"ie" is me, with baby Elliot. I am now signing from Ottawa as well.
Jod"i" from NE has Luke and Charlie (I think :)
Jodie from Ottawa
Wendy--such wonderful words! You really made me go back to Jer. 23 to reread the Scriptures about being a shepherd. I need to camp out there today.
One thing that popped out at me in Jer. 49:31 was that the "complacent nation" would be attacked. Y'all, our wonderful country has become quite complacent. After 9/11, we were on our toes, but since then, we are back in that pattern of complacency. We need to remember to lift up our country in prayer each day.
Thank you for your prayers for my friend Kristi. Please continue to lift her up. Infection set in her arm, and no surgery can occur until that has healed--which means she is still stuck in the hospital,and school starts next week! She is trying to be a patient mommy, but it's not easy!
Praying for all of you GIGs this morning!
Hugs!
Susan
Thank you, Jodie, re: Jodi! Now, that is funny! I do have it correct on my list and in my mind, but, my fingers have not caught on! I've done a great job confusing everyone in the meantime! ha-ha
One more practice to get it straight, ya'll:
(Too bad I can't make this BOLD!)
Jodie - Ottawa (Elliot)
Jodi - New England (Luke & Charlie)
You two are a handful for me! Just kidding! Love, Lori
Ya’ll, I don’t recommend books too often, as the one I seem to be clinging to lately, and treasure the most is God’s Holy Bible; however, I just feel lead today to share a book that I think is most beneficial to each and everyone of us! I’m only half-way through, but still feel that it has changed my way of thinking. “PLAN B” takes a close look at what we should do when our life isn’t turning out the way we thought it would. When all is going well with our Plan A, and then out of the blue, we are faced with a Plan B.
Normally, we doubt, we lose our peace, we become fearful when we can’t see God in our circumstances. We begin to question why? Why are we still sick? Why did our child go wayward? Why can’t we get the job we want? Why? Why? Honest encouragement and a whole different way to look at our “Plan B” situations are presented from a Biblical point of view, in this book. A lot of people around us are hurting. This book shows how to offer them hope, how to pray, and more importantly, how to grow closer to God when we have been thrown a curve ball. Also, it shows us how we will grow closer to God and how our faith will be increased as we pray over the people around us that are living out a Plan B in their life right now.
The author, Pete Wilson, is the head pastor of Cross Point Church in Nashville, TN. He lives in life to reach out to those who are not saved.
Hugs, Lori
PS I'm up way extra early today in anticipation of the first day of school!
Thank you Wendy for your precious words today. You have helped me see how living the Old Testament is! As a new student of the Word, I am soaking up everything!
You really did hit it on the head when you said we think things will never happen to us! After 15 years of working securely in my nursing job, I never dreamed I would be cut back because there isn’t a doctor to work for! As parents who taught the responsibilities of alcohol, we never imagined that one of our children would be dependent.
But these trials were written into my life long ago, and the purpose for them is still to be revealed. The immediate lesson is a greater sensitivity to other people who are also affected. I am learning with others how to get along with less income. I am learning so much about AA and have such a great admiration for people who are living with this disease.
Of course, my trials are especially meant to bring me right to the lap of Jesus, clinging to His robe. And His plan for me will not fail if I am obedient. I thank Him for this opportunity to grow closer.
I am blessing and praying for you all, with special intentions for those precious friends of Wendy, who are seeking and waiting.
Jacque
Thanks Wendy, I may be facing a situation here and I just asked God this morning to help me to see the truth and give me guidance if needed, I don't want to "let my guard down" and be deceived. I needed to hear what you had to say about that today.
Good morning Wendy and figs. Today is day 223. I have to share with you all how I'm able to get the day of the year so easily. I have a machine called a type N' speak. It's a machine for the blind. I always called it a note taker. It's basically a small keyboard without a screen that talks when you type. It is basically used for typing documents but it does have different functions and it can be hooked up to a computer. It also has a talking calendar in it that also can give the day number we are on in the year. I've had this type n' speak since 1997 and I've always used it for taking messages, typing letters and things like that. They also make one called a Braille n' speak. It has the same functions except you only use the six keys and the space bar that are on a Braille writer. I prefer the type n' speak because it is set up just like a computer keyboard and it has separate function keys. With the Braille n' speak there are too many commands to memorize since you're only using six keys.
Sorry for this long explanation. I guess you could say I'm just sharing a little glimpse into my world.
I'll be leaving shortly to go visit my dad for the rest of the week and I still have to do today's reading.
For those parents whose kids are already in school can you believe summer vacation is over? My two nieces start school next week. Most counties around where I live either start the week of Aug. 30 and some schools don't start until Sept. 7. Shhh, don't tell your kids if they are already in school or starting before Aug 30, haha. However, around here kids go to school until the second or third week of June. It's been like that since I was in Junior High back in the early 1980s.
Hi Everyone,
Wendy…Thank You….Today’s reading is a tough one. Who are the true prophets today? As I read the footnote for 23:17-20: Not only are the false prophets personally immoral, but they encourage immorality by prophesying good of those who do evil. The true prophet, on the other hand, sees the inevitable consequences of sin.
When I see someone doing something that isn’t right, I admit I go along with them instead of standing up for what is true of God’s word. Have to say I do try at times….but usually give in pretty easily, questioning myself? And saying who am I to say anything? I am not perfect in no way or form. After trying also I will give that person to the Lord. I know he can do works of wonder. Everyone seems to have there own idea of what is right/wrong. God’s word cling to it.
I made it through the weekend…aaaawh!! I enjoy home. No place like it for me. G&P I didn’t do the 5K run/walk Sat. morning. Kristin TX…In my mind and thoughts this morning. Go Ty!! I had a nephew whom played college football. He enjoyed it very much. When was done….he had dreams of going Pro. His try-out day was mixed up…long story short….he did get a tryout day with the Buffalo Bills. Today he does leave a legacy of playing college football behind with many outstanding awards and is in your state right now serving as a border-patrol officer until October….coming home than as a border patrol officer here in MI.
Welcome Jodi in New England….Added Luke and Charlie to my children’s prayer list. Also will be praying for you strength and courage to keep the faith in your family.
G&P….Thanks for sharing yesterday…. your Kl class dream. That was beautiful. To honor God with their talents and live a life of faith and trust in the Lord. Same dreams for our sons. Yes a mother whom loves Jesus. When I do some of there photo albums….I leave bible verses on some of there pages….to know him and encourage them…..maybe even future generation. Jacque….I will share one page I did for my nephew (godchild) when he was finishing up his college….when football was his dream. Will be on the next one this is getting long. With Michael searching….
Bible Verse for today:
Chronological Bible
Jeremiah 23:28 “Let these false prophets tell their dreams, but let my true messengers faithfully proclaim my every word. There is a difference between straw and grain!
Same verse in the:
The New American Bible
Jeremiah 23:28 Let the prophet who has a dream recount his dream; let him who has my word speak my word truthfully! What has straw to do with the wheat?* says the LORD.
*Footnote 23:28 Straw…wheat: such is the contrast between false and true prophecy. True prophecy is like fire (cf Jer 5:14; 20:9), producing violent results (v 29); Jeremiah’s own life is a testimony of this.
(Jer 5:14) Now, for this that you have said, says the LORD, the God of hosts--Behold, I make my words in your mouth, a fire, And this people is the wood that it shall devour!--
(Jer 20:9) I say to myself, I will not mention him, I will speak in his name no more. But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it.
(v 29) Is not my word like fire, says the LORD, like a hammer shattering rocks?
Stay True His Word,
Rhonda
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer R. I am so happy when you let us into your world. I love hearning about what things you can use so that you are sightful ( funny word, we can be sightful and yet not insightful - or maybe I jsut invented a new word - sightful). Have a good time on you little trip.
Grace and Peace, when I had a question that I didn't know I would always look to my beloved and ask him. If he didn't know he would study until he did. I have ADD so that is not my gift. I would rather ask someone that likes to look it up. OK All that to say Grace and Peace, The Lord calls himself the "LORD God of Heaven's Armies" in these passages. I don't remember Him calling Himself that before. Is that just now when He is "cleaning house" and giving these people what they deserve? Or is it a more common description of Himself than what I remember. I could not find it im my OLD Young's Concordance. Mine is held together with duck tape, :-) had to be done by a man, right?!
Donna TX
Good morning everyone,
Sweet Wendy...I cannot thank you enough for having this blog. I have read the Bible through before but I am getting so much more out of it this time...hearing from you and the others on the blog, I am gleaning things I otherwise, would not have...God Bless you for your faithfulness in keeping this up
I have not posted in a bit...life is getting crazy...prayers for wisdom and direction for me to deal with my elderly Dad would be appreciated.
Loved " The Righteous Branch" reading...thank you Jesus. The "Judgement on False Prophets"...asking for wisdom and discernment when listening to others.
Landed on Jer: 23 - 24...24-"Can anyone hide from me in a secret place? Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth? says the Lord" Thank you dear God for being everywhere--I can turn and speak to you at anytime and be still and hear you voice speaking to me...I am never out of your sight or love...
God Bless all of you,
Sue in Nor Cal
Jacque, Lori & Rhonda, thank you for your kind words on what I shared yesterday.
Lori,
I will check out that Plan B book. It seems appropriate for what we are all going through. If truth be told we are all living the Plan B since Genesis 3.
My nugget today is something that I used to by-pass in my prior readings of the bible. Chuck Missler brought it to my attention because it has profound implications on the Messiah.
In Jeremiah 22:30, He said that "no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah." God actually pronounced a blood curse on the entire royal line. This created a "problem" for God because he had formerly promised David (several times) that the Messiah would come from the royal line. You can imagine that Satan probably thought God had "shot himself in the foot" and probably started doing his evil dance.
But as Chuck Missler pointed out, God probably looked at the angels and said, "Now, watch this."
God bypassed that in two ways:
1. In order to "bypass" the blood curse, the Messiah would have to be born of a virgin. This, by itself though, didn't resolve the entire problem because the Messiah still needed to be able to legally claim the rights to the throne of David through the royal line. This is where the daughters of Zelophehad come in (Num 26:33).
2. In Numbers 27, while the laws for inheritance were being established, Zelophehad came to Moses about inheritance for his daughters, since he had no sons. The problem was that inheritance for the family passed through the sons, not the daughters. So Moses brought the case before the Lord, who granted an "exception clause" for cases when there were no sons. The inheritance would be allowed to pass through the daughters via an adoption procedure. The father of the daughters would adopt his son-in-law as his own son, thereby allowing his inheritance to pass to the daughter through this adoption.
When we get to the NT, specifically, the genealogy presented by Luke, he differs from Matthew after David. While Matthew goes through Solomon (the first surviving son of Bathsheba) and down the royal line to Joseph, Luke goes through Nathan (the second surviving son of Bathsheba) but apparently also comes to Joseph. If you look at the Greek of Luke 3:23 though, Luke says that Joseph is the son as νομίζω (nomizo) of Heli. This word is translated "supposed" in the KJV, but actually means "as reckoned by law". So in other words, Heli was the father-in-law of Joseph...he was actually the father of Mary. By adopting Joseph as his own son, the "legal right" to the throne was able to pass through Mary to Jesus because of this adoption. Christ's claims to the throne of David literally hang on this exception granted to the daughters of Zelophehad way back in the wilderness. - R. Keyston
I love that our God is a God of details.
Hi Everyone!
I'm one of those people who left one or two comments way back at the beginning in January and have not commented since.
I have stayed with all of the readings and lessons and have learned so much along the way with all of you. Thank you all so much for helping me.
Wendy I really appreciated your words today about how we can become complacent and not think that things can happen to us. In the last 10 months I have seen my sister in law (my husband's sister) find out her husband was having an affair, which led to a separation, that led to a divorce. Not only did she not think that that could happen to her, but all of us thought that that would never happen to them. Please pray for my sister Kathleen and her 11 year old son Spencer as they are still trying to make sense of the whole situation.
God Bless and Thank you all for helping me stay in the Word!
Denise in Colorado
Dear Jacque,
We want his job experience to offer him self-worth and to contribute to his growth, and not just be a means to make money.
For encouragement for Michael….Just an idea…Anyway I came across a beautiful book. Its called : from a Mother’s Heart to her Son ….50 reflections on Living Well. (Nelson Books) (www.Thomas nelson.com) I have a hard time wording things this book put a lot of what was in my heart into words. The page:
YOU ARE A SON OF GOD AND THEREFORE EXTREMELY VALUABLE TO HIM.
Put a photo of him here….
GOD VALUES YOU AND HAS A PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE
Next pg. I put this saying on it.
Highlight and bigger letters to these first three words:
LIKE EVERY MAN, you want to find your place
in history, want to make your life count for something.
And that is exactly what God wants for you, for He
has made you to reflect His image. As one of God’s
Sons, your life has special meaning. Your unique gifts
and talents, your sense of humor, your insights, your
way of interacting with others and contributing to your
world, all make your special in the eyes of your Creator.
He rejoices in each new skill you master and every
worthwhile project you successfully complete. Your life
ss a bright piece in the ever-changing kaleidoscope of
God’s creation, as important to the overall design as any
other piece. He has a place and a purpose for you.
You matter.
____________________________________________
God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Genesis 1:27
Simple jesters…Than some night perhaps place it on his pillow. You might not see result right away. Next generation …will also know your heart.
Blessing all,
Rhonda
Oohhhh, I love those details G&P! I also found some tidbits that just add to the reading for me. So many times I read names of places and have no visual as to what is being referred to. In Courson's commentary he tells us this: Damascus is the oldest city in the world; hence "that famous city"
Kedar is present day Saudi Arabia.
Elam is present day Iran.
Babylon is present day Iraq.
Just a few add'l helps; but sometimes they add alot.
blessed day to my sisters!
Morgen
Donna,
I just saw your question. I was going to post selections from what I found but it's too long so here's the link. Scroll down past the "Names of God" and you will see it:
http://tinyurl.com/Lord-of-Hosts-part-1
It looks like that the "Lord of Heaven's Armies" in the NLT version is also translated as "Lord of Hosts."
I like this part ~
To summarize, the LORD of hosts, Jehovah Sabaoth is the Name of God we find used in Scripture when a man or woman is at the end of their rope so to speak -- Jehovah Sabaoth is the Strong Tower which God has made available for those times when we fail & are powerless, when our resources are inadequate, when there is no other help. And it is especially during those times that one comes to appreciate that God is truly the LORD of the armies & of all hosts. This comfort & confidence found in this Name as we have seen is first revealed most fully in 1 Samuel.
I hope that helped.
Thank you Wendy for your devotional. The Bible is our most valuable help because is the word of God. I just started to listen your devotional yesterday and I found a lot points to mediate with the Lord. Thank you for reminder that we need to speak with responsability. I am going to continue to follow your devotional to follow the study. Thank you again.
Lori, Thank you so very much for advising us to check out the book "Plan B". I went to Amazon and was able to preview the book.And there on page 6 was a story of Dan & Kimberly Flowers. They had stopped going to church because their unwed 20 yr old daughter was pregnant.I burst into tears. I know the LORD told you to tell me about this book!!! I don't have an unwed daughter. I have the 20 year old unwed son. And, you are not going to believe where he s going to college! Nashville, TN. 15 minutes away from Cross Point Church. I am going to encourage him to read this book and encourage him to make a visit to Cross Point church.
Being unwed and having a baby at 20 was not our Plan A for our son. But,sometimes we have to go with the Plan B, so here we go.I know the LORD is with us!He was working through you today Lori! AWESOME!!
Please pray for Alex and his girlfriend Megan. Also for my son Brandon and his girlfriend Heather. I don't understand why, but I have 2 unwed sons that are expecting children. Brandon is 25.He and Heather are planning to marry in the near future. Most of all please pray for these precious babies!!!! They are due in December(Brandon & Heather) & March (Alex & Megan)
This is my first post. I knew HE would show me the right time. :>) I have learned so much from Wendy and all of you! Thank you so much!!
Cherie in Indiana
I need a little help from my figs.
A part of the reading for today was 2 KINGS 24:5-9 and 2 CHRONICLES 36:6-9.
In 2 Kings it said that Jehoiachin was 18 and in 2 Chronicles it said he was 8. The rest of the verses are very similar as to his Jehoiachin's father was so which age was he when he began to reign or are they two different Jehoiachins?
Wendy can you shed any light on this?
Jennifer Renee,
I'm not Wendy but I saw your question.
I think 2 Kings talks about the father (Jehoiakim) and 2 Chron about the son (Jehoiachin). The names sound the same. Here is the link for the list of kings and you will find them under the right column towards the bottom.
http://www.biblestudy.org/prophecy/israel-kings.html
Hi Everyone, Found this article...thought to be pretty interesting alot of you/us talk about the rapture.
It is long I have some of it on here if you would like to finish reading it I put the link to it at the end.
What the Bible Says About . . .
The Rapture
Glossary of Terms
You may have seen movies about “the Rapture.” Typically, a passenger jet is cruising above the clouds when the pilot and several passengers suddenly disappear. A passenger, still in the aircraft, looks at the empty seat beside him. The seat belt is still buckled, and a book lays open on the seat. It’s a Bible, and the words of Paul’s First Letter to the Thessalonians 4:16-17 are highlighted:
For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord.
Or you have, assuredly, seen the bumper sticker: Warning! In case of Rapture this car will be abandoned! Who hasn’t come across the Left Behind series of books so popular that at their peak they were as likely to be found in grocery, drug, and greeting card stores as in bookstores? The theme of this series is the fate of those humans who are not born-again Christians at the moment the Lord Jesus Christ “first” returns to our planet. When all true believers are safely removed to heaven the rest of humanity are left behind to face seven years of God’s terrifying judgment.
Believers in the Rapture say Jesus will appear in the sky, high above the earth and call to himself all who have accepted Christ as their personal savior, whether they are alive at the time or have died. They will then be led into heaven.
And, to be sure, Christians of all times have lived in the faith-filled hope and expectation of Jesus’ return, a return that will bring to fulfillment all the promises of the reign of God. The Rapture, however, adds the notion that Jesus, in initiating the second coming, will come and take away his Church before his final return. The Rapture, in other words, signals the end of God’s patient offering of grace to the whole world and inaugurates a period of intense judgment against all humanity before the second coming.
According to many who believe in the Rapture, only those who possess a personal relationship with Jesus Christ will experience the Rapture. Many Rapture believers assume that Catholics are missing this relationship. Of course, there is nothing more Catholic than the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he died for our salvation. This is the belief of all Christians—Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestants.
The Rapture, however, is not the belief of all Christians. It is a new doctrine—one never taught or believed before the nineteenth century—that requires a particular understanding of God’s action in history. It is an understanding that overemphasizes a kind of divine retribution and underemphasizes God’s mercy, and one that ignores the human history and culture in which the inspired word of God was written.
But what if it’s in the Bible?
Belief in the Rapture is very popular today, especially in many so-called “non-denominational” churches. While most Christians who profess belief in the Rapture
continued
Hi Everyone, Found this article...thought to be pretty interesting alot of you/us talk about the rapture.
It is long I have some of it on here if you would like to finish reading it I put the link to it at the end.
What the Bible Says About . . .
The Rapture
Glossary of Terms
You may have seen movies about “the Rapture.” Typically, a passenger jet is cruising above the clouds when the pilot and several passengers suddenly disappear. A passenger, still in the aircraft, looks at the empty seat beside him. The seat belt is still buckled, and a book lays open on the seat. It’s a Bible, and the words of Paul’s First Letter to the Thessalonians 4:16-17 are highlighted:
For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord.
Or you have, assuredly, seen the bumper sticker: Warning! In case of Rapture this car will be abandoned! Who hasn’t come across the Left Behind series of books so popular that at their peak they were as likely to be found in grocery, drug, and greeting card stores as in bookstores? The theme of this series is the fate of those humans who are not born-again Christians at the moment the Lord Jesus Christ “first” returns to our planet. When all true believers are safely removed to heaven the rest of humanity are left behind to face seven years of God’s terrifying judgment.
Believers in the Rapture say Jesus will appear in the sky, high above the earth and call to himself all who have accepted Christ as their personal savior, whether they are alive at the time or have died. They will then be led into heaven.
And, to be sure, Christians of all times have lived in the faith-filled hope and expectation of Jesus’ return, a return that will bring to fulfillment all the promises of the reign of God. The Rapture, however, adds the notion that Jesus, in initiating the second coming, will come and take away his Church before his final return. The Rapture, in other words, signals the end of God’s patient offering of grace to the whole world and inaugurates a period of intense judgment against all humanity before the second coming.
According to many who believe in the Rapture, only those who possess a personal relationship with Jesus Christ will experience the Rapture. Many Rapture believers assume that Catholics are missing this relationship. Of course, there is nothing more Catholic than the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he died for our salvation. This is the belief of all Christians—Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestants.
The Rapture, however, is not the belief of all Christians. It is a new doctrine—one never taught or believed before the nineteenth century—that requires a particular understanding of God’s action in history. It is an understanding that overemphasizes a kind of divine retribution and underemphasizes God’s mercy, and one that ignores the human history and culture in which the inspired word of God was written.
But what if it’s in the Bible?
Belief in the Rapture is very popular today, especially in many so-called “non-denominational” churches. While most Christians who profess belief in the Rapture
continued
Jeremiah 23:9-32 hit hard for me today - Judgment on False Prophets.
verse 28: "Let these false prophets tell their dreams, but let my true messengers faithfully proclaim my every word. There is a difference between straw and grain!"
My family has bore witness to some false prophets over the years. My husband is the type who gives the benefit of the doubt. It takes ALOT for us to leave. How difficult it is to sit in church and see clearly see the irreverence to the Lord and witness others that are falsely led. There have been times when we had to move on to a new church. We are not church hoppers.
We are not in a "Bible Belt" area and it is very difficult to find a Bible-Preaching church to attend close to home.
I guess what I am trying to say is it is just awful to see the "prophets of deceit" - it is shocking and shakes you right to the core. You certainly learn to rely solely on the Lord and the Holy Spirit for guidance. You expect this in the secular part of society....very bitter pill to swallow in the Christian sector.
Jeremiah has a special place in my heart!
I was excited to hear Wendy today. The OT has come alive for me though this study. I actually understand it!
Rhonda in New York State
identify themselves as evangelical Christians, other evangelicals reject the idea of the Rapture. Still, due to its popularity in the media, there are now Christians from almost all denominations that take the Rapture for granted as a sure and certain teaching easily found in the Bible.
The ability to find any biblical basis for the Rapture depends largely on how you read the Bible. A Catholic and a fundamentalist will both read a biblical text with faith in its divine inspiration. However, a Catholic is far more likely to also seek understanding about the human authors of biblical texts, the literary styles and traditions they employed in writing, and the concerns they were facing. As Catholics, we profess, in the words of the Nicene Creed, that Jesus Christ, “will come again to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.” We believe that is also the clear and explicit teaching of Sacred Scripture. We also hold, however, that it is a serious misinterpretation of Sacred Scripture to claim that Christians will be rescued by God in a Rapture that removes them from the earth either before or during a period of earthly tribulation.
Those who believe the Rapture is taught in Sacred Scripture cannot point to it in any particular passage or any one book of the Bible. Passages read in one section of one book will be interpreted by using “clues” found in another. The most frequently quoted passages arguing for the Rapture are from Paul’s First Letter to the Thessalonians, the book of Revelation, and the Old Testament book of Daniel. Typically, these passages are lifted from their context and shuffled together in order to create a teaching about a Rapture. Two of these passages are representative of a very special style of Bible literature known as “apocalyptic literature.” When this kind of literature is read in a way that respects their historical and literary contexts, it becomes difficult to find support for any notion of a Rapture as described and taught today.
The message of hope in the Bible’s apocalyptic literature
Apocalyptic literature is the literature of hope in dire circumstances. It is literature written in code language to convey a “secret” message of both judgment and salvation to a people who are facing the threat of destruction at the hands of a powerful enemy. Its use of bizarre, symbolic language was intended to hide a powerful message from outsiders who might be in league with their oppressors. For this reason, apocalyptic literature is often written as if dealing with another time, whether the past or the future. The hidden, secret message encourages those enduring persecution to hold fast to their faith and to face their circumstances with hope.
The message of judgment in biblical apocalyptic literature is a promise that oppressors will be ultimately dealt with in a thorough and decisive manner. It is also a warning to the believing community to stay true to the end, lest they also suffer terrible consequences.
Read more if interested at: http://www.littlerockscripture.org/en/wtbsa_rapture.html
Interesting Read, I forgot to sign in to google account...This is from me Rhonda MI. I see Rhonda New York State...just posted...Hi twin...posting at the same time.
Wendy,
Thank You for your faithfulness to this study. It was so great to talk with you at She Speaks.
That Scripture also touched me about- What sorrow awaits the leaders of my people.- How important it is to lead and care for your flock. I have that responsibility also here at home.God please continue to keep me in tune with your spirit and your flock.
The Lord is our Righteousness also is a scripture that stuck out to me.
I Thank the Lord daily for you all and am grateful for the time in HIS word.
Gratitude, Love and Prayers, Debra
identify themselves as evangelical Christians, other evangelicals reject the idea of the Rapture. Still, due to its popularity in the media, there are now Christians from almost all denominations that take the Rapture for granted as a sure and certain teaching easily found in the Bible.
The ability to find any biblical basis for the Rapture depends largely on how you read the Bible. A Catholic and a fundamentalist will both read a biblical text with faith in its divine inspiration. However, a Catholic is far more likely to also seek understanding about the human authors of biblical texts, the literary styles and traditions they employed in writing, and the concerns they were facing. As Catholics, we profess, in the words of the Nicene Creed, that Jesus Christ, “will come again to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.” We believe that is also the clear and explicit teaching of Sacred Scripture. We also hold, however, that it is a serious misinterpretation of Sacred Scripture to claim that Christians will be rescued by God in a Rapture that removes them from the earth either before or during a period of earthly tribulation.
Those who believe the Rapture is taught in Sacred Scripture cannot point to it in any particular passage or any one book of the Bible. Passages read in one section of one book will be interpreted by using “clues” found in another. The most frequently quoted passages arguing for the Rapture are from Paul’s First Letter to the Thessalonians, the book of Revelation, and the Old Testament book of Daniel. Typically, these passages are lifted from their context and shuffled together in order to create a teaching about a Rapture. Two of these passages are representative of a very special style of Bible literature known as “apocalyptic literature.” When this kind of literature is read in a way that respects their historical and literary contexts, it becomes difficult to find support for any notion of a Rapture as described and taught today.
The message of hope in the Bible’s apocalyptic literature
Apocalyptic literature is the literature of hope in dire circumstances. It is literature written in code language to convey a “secret” message of both judgment and salvation to a people who are facing the threat of destruction at the hands of a powerful enemy. Its use of bizarre, symbolic language was intended to hide a powerful message from outsiders who might be in league with their oppressors. For this reason, apocalyptic literature is often written as if dealing with another time, whether the past or the future. The hidden, secret message encourages those enduring persecution to hold fast to their faith and to face their circumstances with hope.
The message of judgment in biblical apocalyptic literature is a promise that oppressors will be ultimately dealt with in a thorough and decisive manner. It is also a warning to the believing community to stay true to the end, lest they also suffer terrible consequences.
Read more if interested at: http://www.littlerockscripture.org/en/wtbsa_rapture.html
Interesting Read, I forgot to sign in to google account...This is from me Rhonda MI. I see Rhonda New York State...just posted...Hi twin...posting at the same time.
I'm back! Cherie--will be lifting up your sons and future wives and those precious grandbabies. They will be a blessing.
G&P--thank you for your insight! Loved the info you've shared.
Jenn Renee, have fun with your dad! Thanks for keeping up with the days! I don't have a clue!
Y'all, just wanted to give you a quick update on my friend, Kristi. An infection set in her arm the other day, and we're waiting for the swelling to go down. She cannot be released until the infection is gone. She did speak to the plastic surgeon this pm about the skin graft. Thanks for your continued prayers! Y'all are great!
Goodnight!
Susan
In my earlier comment I had asked about the age of Jehoiachin when he began to reign according to 2 KINGS 24:5-9 and 2 CHRONICLES 36:6-9. G and P thanks for your thoughts. I wil look at the website you gave. I personally think it is the same person because the verses in each chapter are too similar. I included a portion of each chapter.
2 Kings 24
5 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah?
6 So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.
7 And the king of Egypt came not again any more out of his land: for the king of Babylon had taken from the river of Egypt unto the river Euphrates all that pertained to the king of Egypt.
8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.
9 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father had done.
2 Chronicles 36
8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.
9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.
I'm not trying to start any controversy about this difference in the age of a king or cause any trouble but for the first time in over twenty years of reading the Bible I've noticed this difference. I used the KJV when posting these verses because for some reason BibleGateway.com didn't have 2 Chronicles 36 on their website. As a matter of fact it wasn't even on the website page with the other reading for today.
Post a Comment
Home