"But this woman is driving me crazy.
I'm going to see that she gets justice, because
she is wearing me out with her constant requests!"
Luke 18:5
I'm going to see that she gets justice, because
she is wearing me out with her constant requests!"
Luke 18:5
My Take Away
Something to Old:
Pray fervently. Praise fervently. Don't forget to thank God when He answers my prayer.
Something New:
Luke 17:16
I never noticed the man with leprosy who thanked God was a Samaritan.
Something to Do:
Don't fret over this circumstance. Go to the One who has power of the circumstance.
God will have us to continue in prayer, not to weary us, but to exercise us; therefore we must fight against impatience so that a long delay does not cause us to quit our praying.
God will have us to continue in prayer, not to weary us, but to exercise us; therefore we must fight against impatience so that a long delay does not cause us to quit our praying.






20 Comments:
Hi Girls...I haven't watched the video yet, or completed the reading, but writing to ask for prayer. Just walked in the door after spending the last 10 hours at Emergency with my dad. Our Dr. called 911 for him today, and for those of you who knew his story from last year, his physical challenges continue. I'm heading to bed now, but just really wanted to ask for prayer. I'll try and get back to update when I can. Thanks in advance for lifting my dad up in prayer.
Joy
Father we lift up Joy's Dad to You. We ask for Your mercy and grace. Please be with him. Comfort him in his infirmities. Touch him with Your healing hand if that is Your will for him right now. Please make Your presence known to him wherever he may be.
We also ask that You grant Joy a peaceful night's sleep. That she will lay all her worries at Your feet and not fret over them. Please help her remember that You are in control of this situation. Please be with Joy and her Mom and sisters. May they have the peace that passes understanding. In Jesus' precious name we pray. Amen.
(((HUGS)))) dear friend.
Good morning, GIGs,
Joy, I have prayed Grace & Peace's prayer for you. May the Lord bring you and your dad peace today.
I had several nuggets today, and am especially enjoying the gospel of Luke. I'll tie two together:
For the Kingdom of God is already among you. (Luke 17:21) and So don't you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to Him day and night?" (Luke 18:7)
I have been consistently praying for my husband and children to be saved. They are not yet, but every few days I see a sign that one or the other's heart is softening, and I rejoice with gratitude (like the 10th leper!) He is moving in His own time. I must be patient, persistent, prayful and believe. Oftentimes our prayers are answered a little bit at a time.
Have a blessed, 4:8 day, all.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Am echoing the prayer of G&P for Joyful and her father and family. Dear Lord be with them as they face this struggle together with You.
Wendy, I think we can all identify with how our lives cycle round and round, if it is not one issue, it is another. We are continually challenged to "exercise" (I like that analogy!) our prayer life, and our patience. It will never be easy, but as we grow in grace we can have more peace in the wait. I need to keep knocking about an issue for our family, and try not to lose sleep over it, but place it at Jesus' feet.
One segment that caught my eye was the fact that Caiaphas "was led to prophesy that Jesus would die for the entire nation...to bring together and unite all the children of God scattered around the world." He knew there was something very special and powerful about Jesus. The fate of Jesus was already planted in his heart.
Blessings and prayers,
Jacque
Amen, sister G&P – I stand in agreement and pray along side you for our sister, Joy up in Canada. Thank you Father for hearing each of us today as we lift up our sister Joy to you. Give her needed rest so that she will be able to seek you when she awakens. Give her wisdom and guide her throughout the day. Her father has been sick for a very long time, but this will not wear us out or cause us to become weary. We are coming to you, the One who can heal her father and direct her path. Amen.
Whoa, Wendy you just have a way about opening up the scriptures, - a God given talent! I am always amazed at what you pull out! I do believe there is an advantage to having a fretful situation in our life – for this is what keeps us doing God’s will – praying continually. Christ is the living Word, and as we abide in the Word, we abide in Him – we are filled with His Holy Spirit, which gives us that peace to withstand whatever we are fretting about. It’s what keeps us calm, when the ‘common’ ones – are fretful, anxious, and worried. As we say no to the enemy who is trying to get us to fret, and we pray God’s Word, we receive the benefit of peace. I do believe that God loves it when we pray back His precious Word to Him. The more we read His Word, the more it will be planted inside us – alive and ready to come out when needed.
And, today, we learn that yes, we need to press on! Not give up, and not become weary! I’m going to begin thinking of it as exercise! The continual praying is good for us sisters! We are getting a work-out as we lift up our prayers, continually throughout the day! We can not quite when we are tired! We may have to get a drink of His Word, to revive us when we become weary or weak – or, we may need to all a sister believer – to encourage us and pray along side us; but, we can never give up! We gotta remember, a sister who gives up – is a sister ready to be attacked by the enemy! Woowee – we don’t want that! We must always pray and not lose heart and give up (Luke 18:1).
Wendy, I’m excited that you are on fall break! Yahoo, yahoo! Thank you for serving us through your daily teaching! We love the Jesus coming out of your mouth!
Girl’s what are we gonna do today? Pray…pray…and pray some more!
Love ~ Lori
PS Joining you, Michelle in praying for salvation for your hubby, Lauren, and Chuck. What about your SIL?
John 11:54 tells us again that "Jesus went to the wilderness"
Where do we find Jesus? In the wilderness. Do not fear, for He is with you, no matter what "wilderness" state you are in.
I SAP for Joy and her dad.
Lori - your "kingdom come" has rubbed off and gotten me to thinkin' now! In Luke 17:21 it says "the Kingdom of God is already among you"....so it can be looked at 2 ways....the Kingdom that IS coming when Jesus returns...and the one that is already here..within us...within our grasp. Love it!
Now to watch Wendy!
Morgen
Sweet Grace and Peace, I am almost in tears. Looking at the time of your comment, it's about exactly when I fell asleep, and just woke about half an hour ago. Not only that, but I just called my mom and she said she had this peace pass over her that passes understanding, and she too slept better than she has for months. Thank you my dear friend, and for all who joined together. Your prayers for rest last night were granted, and it was so needed. We were all so weary.
Dad is still sleeping :) so no update yet, but I just wanted to say that you have all blessed my heart. I felt God's arms of love surrounding me as I read through your comments above.
I will be back after I've had time to do our reading, and let you know how he is doing.
Love and thankfulness to you all,
Joy
Dear all,
Joy, I too prayed G&P's prayer for you, your dad and your family! Thank you too Wendy,Lori, Jaque and Michelle for your posts today. I am in CA again and will be going back to Basel tonight, so I have not been posting. But I have been reading each day, and I agree with Michelle, I am reallys enjoying both Luke and John.
These readings this year have really shown me how consistant the message of Jesus was. He healed; mind body and spirit. He loved unconditionally. He continues to stress that living in "head knowledge" rather then with "heart knowledge" is a sin and must change. He shakes up the religious and political powers of the time to turn people back to God. He refuels with private prayer and encourages us to do the same; to form an intinmate relationship with the Father! He seeks out the people who challenge our sensibilities; the fringes of society, and gives them loven hopen a future, and tells us directly to do the same!
I keep going back to Jacque's earlier post re. the BBQ she and her husband held with the friends of Michael. It remains for me a shining example of folling Jesus daily.
Please pray for me over the next few weeks. I will be traveling a lot and I need rest, balance and peace in my life as I criss-cross the atlantic. Lord, fill me with your love and allow me to see the opportunities you put before me to demonstrate loving my neighbor as myself.
Karen (CA today)
Please forgive the typos above; Blackberry post and thick thumbs...:)
Hi Everybody….Happy Wednesday!!
Wendy enjoy the fall break with your son…He knows when we need them. Thanks for being a parent and showing Him God’s way. Keep it up!! “Dare to be different“ ….in today’s society…big pressure on them. Our youngest son being in the sports field….doing what a lot of the other players do. Really do need more parents to “dare to be different” right along with them. Taking your hand…I do join you. Thanks!!
Joy….Joining in with the group and sending up prayers for your Dad. ((warm hugs)).
Luke 18:1-8
Faith….
how many will he find on the earth who have faith?”
This here was the very last sentence to today’s reading. This here sentence also was the last sentence read in church Sunday…. in Sunday‘s gospel reading at church.….It was brought to my attention and stirred and pondering took notice Sunday in church …being the last sentence read….when this was the gospel reading . I pondered on it Sunday in church and again brought to my attention today….Need a little reminder on my faith. Hard to explain all what is stirring up in my thoughts and feelings right now….
Went on a search in the commentaries for this reading for more deeper understanding. Read a few different ones. This one from workbook for lectors and gospel readers by: James L. Weaver put some insight to my search….with more understanding on this reading and what it represents:
The figurative stories Jesus tells, only some of which the evangelists call parables, are not all allegories like the parable of the sower, for example. Why can we not simply read the parable of the judge and the widow as an allegory like the parable of the sower? Well, let us say that the “dishonest judge” equals God: the widow equals the one who “call out day and night” to God in prayer. Is it reasonable to think that Luke would offer a scene in which Jesus compared God the father to a dishonest judge?
The way Jesus likely intends his disciples to interpret this passage is as an argument “from the lesser to the greater.” this kind of argument is quite common in rabbinic discourse and in Greek persuasive speech. Compare Luke 12:28. “If God so clothes the grass in the field that grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow.” Jesus reasons, “will he not much more provide for you?” If a dishonest judge pays attention to a widow’s persistent entreaties, how much more will God, who is not dishonest, heed persistence in prayer?
In another commentary for this last sentence:
Jesus’ rhetorical questions in the closing line are meant to reassure, not discourage. But, after he reassures us of God’s fidelity, Jesus poses a stark and challenging final question that very pointedly asks about the reliability of our own faith.
To do: Be asking myself does he see me…… one with faith???
Working on to be one with Faith,
Rhonda
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgen, Those words leaped out at me, too! But, I thought, yikes, i better not write about that -as I have been writing about that so much lately! smile!!! I even word-nerded "among" ---
His kingdom is -
amid us!
with us!
surrounding us!
PTL! Yes, we're excited for his return, but right now, right this very minute - he is with us! The kingdom of God is already among us!
Woowee - What a blessing to be one of the uncommon! A chosen one by Him! A revelation - thank you dear Lord for your precious word!
Love, Lori
Good morning, GIGs! Joy, continuing to pray with the others for your precious daddy and you and your mom and sister. Love you bunches!!
Jacque, I agree that we are continually challenged to "exercise" our prayer life! And my new went along with yours of Caiaphas phrophesying(spelling??)about Jesus' dying for us. I've never seen that verse before! And, I know that it's been there in the Bible for a LONG time! That's one of the most awesome things about this study--and I think someone mentioned it the other day. His Words can speak to us in new ways each day!
Karen, praying for traveling mercies!
Wendy, enjoy pajama day for the next 3days! It's time for a run, and I plan on exercising my prayer life as I do so!
Hugs!
Susan
Good morning friends.
Wendy what a wonderful point about praising specific. I do pray specific but I don't think I always praise God for the specific things he has done for me.
I ask you all to keep my spiritual mom in your prayers. Her name is Karen. Last week she caught her grandson's cold and the other day she lost her voice. I believe God for her healing. I'm going to be staying with her on Saturday and Sunday night.
Enjoy your three days of no homework.
Joy,
Thank you for the update. I'm so thankful and grateful to our Father for answering the prayer of a good night's rest for you and your Mom. Isn't He just wonderful that He not only answers our prayers but also lets us know that He did? I feel like the 10th leper just coming back to Him with thanks and praise. Continuing to pray for your Dad's health, dear friend.
Just have to share this God moment from last night. Yesterday was my Mom's 6th death anniversary. On my way to my Beth Moore class (Living Beyond Yourself), I was listening to the radio and the verse that the pastor was teaching on was Isaiah 41:10. That was the verse that I read to my Mom over and over again during her last days. Of all the verses in the bible - what are the odds? Somehow I felt reassured and at peace. God just wanted me to know that He remembered. Isn't He just the best Father? How blessed we are to be called His children.
Wendy, enjoy your break!
Karen, praying for travel mercies for you. May you touch many lives and may they see Jesus just oozing from you.
Michelle, I know what you are going through with your family members. Keep planting those seeds, sister. God knows when the harvest time is right. (((HUGS)))
Jen Ren, praying for your spiritual Mom. May she get the rest her body needs to recover. I am reminded of Peter's mother in law whom Jesus healed and then she immediately got up and served them.
Have a wonderful day. Thy Kingdom come!
Hi girls,
I literally have a minute - Elliot is up there cooing in his crib. Wendy - I needed that kick in the pants today. I have seen some improvements on and off with the leg recently (I must remember to thank Him even for the few hours of relief), but after a streak of sleepless nights again - I was ready to give up today. Thanks!
Joy - Saped for you and your family.
Jodie from Ottawa
I feel compelled to post today as a reminder to myself in black and white, so to speak :) The parable in Luke 18 is where I landed as well. Just the other day I had whined to a friend about how weary I was becoming praying daily for our son's situation. I know this takes patience, and God is teaching me something through it all.
Lori, your comment about being a sister who gives up spurred me on to not give up. My son is worth it, as are all the children on our list, with each different issue.
Thank you ladies for your inspiring comments.
Joy, I prayed G&P's prayer for your father as well.
My prayer life needs a workout -- right now!
Franny
Grace & Peace, what an awe-inspiring moment that must have been hearing Isaiah 41:10 on the radio! Thanks for sharing that!
Lori, SIL has so much church-related baggage from his youth that I plan to get my Lauren saved and let her do the saving of Josh {smile}. This morning I read Luke 17:20-21 to Chuck at breakfast and he raised his eyebrows and said "Hmmmmmm." (That's good!)
Karen, travel mercies to you!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Well, just sat down and had some lunch, read todays reading and listened to the video. It thrilled me to see how God was giving an example of prayer and answered prayer right here in our comments today. I love how God's Word is alive and active at this very moment.
Dad has been sleeping most of today so far. Yesterday when the ambulance attendants came they felt, along with all his other concerns, that he might have had a mini-stroke. He is scheduled for more tests and we pray we'll be able to get to the root of all his health issues. Mom fell down the stairs on Sunday, and with her hip replacement, this has added concern as well. God is able. Trusting in Him.
I appreciated reading how Christ thanked His Father for hearing His prayer re:Lazarus before Lazarus was raised from the dead. For faith to pray and praise with such assurance. To thank the Lord, knowing He hears and believing in the answer to come...whether it be yes, no or wait.
When Lazarus came forth, Jesus said, "Unwrap him and let him go!" That just spoke so deeply to me. I feel like I have been "buried" in some concerns recently, and held in bondage by some "graveclothes". Jesus is saying, "Unwrap her and let her go!" Praying I will break free from the binding that has held me entombed.
I loved reading Luke 17:14 regarding the lepers. It said, "And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy." The very first step of obedience and faith brought healing..."as they went".
Finally Luke 17:33 spoke deeply to me as well, "If you cling to your life, you will lose it, and if you let your life go you will save it." Needing to open my hands, release my grip, and let go.
Wendy, hope you're having a wonderful day.
Thanks again for all the prayers for my family,
Joy
Blessed Wednesday!
Persistence in prayer. I read about doing the following one year and decided to try it. The suggestion was on New Year's Eve to sit down and write all your pressing concerns and then hide the paper away until next year. After doing this for some years I discovered every year there were concerns but the ones for the previous year had been resolved and now I was fretting over something entirely new and the problems of the previous year seemed so trivial. Lesson learned........
About Caiaphas - per Jon Courson - so wealthy did Annas, the high priest, come from the money-making schemes that surrounded the temple, to avoid a conflict of interest he appointed his son-in-law, Caiaphas, to serve as high priest. From his office of high priest, Caiphas spoke more profoundly than he could possibly have known when he said, "It's prudent that one man dies in order thAt the whhole nation might live."
Little did Caiaphas know that what he said was inspired by the Spirit. This shows something about our Lord. God can use anyone to speak His heart to reveal his truth. Caiaphas was a loser, a charlatan, a fleecer, yet the Spirit still insipired him at this moment to speak the truth. God can use a Caiaphas; God can use a donkey (Numbers 22,) a neighbor, a professor or any other voice He chooses to speak the truth. God can use anyone.
So God can use this donkey minded (obstinate) little me. Yeah! When Jacque spoke about the group attending at her house with Michael, I can relate as I, at one time in my life, looked with scorn at tattoos. Then at the age of 61, I got one of a butterfly on my wrist. When young people comment on it, I am able to tell them it is the symbol for Hope Hospice and proceed to the story of the caterpillar in the cocoon turning into the beautiful butterfly and flying away to another life. Others then open up about their tattoos and the reason behind them. A nurse recently told me( age her 60's) she had one on her hip where no one could see it of a flower and each petal has the initials of someone precious who has passed. I am NOT promoting tattoos - just no judgment! Amen
Prayers for all who are weary, sick and heavy laden right now!
Dixie in Florida
Post a Comment
Home