If you are visiting from Encouragement for Today, welcome.
The main point of today's devotion was to challenge us to sacrificially give when God nudges us to do so, even if it may cause us a little inconvenience or the cost is a personal investment. I want to shift gears and look at the opposite of giving: receiving.
Receiving is not something we talk about very often. If we talk about receiving we may be perceived as selfish. In many cases it is difficult for the one receiving to relax and just accept the gesture of kindness. I know that for me personally when someone does something kind for me my first response is, "You shouldn't have." Followed by, "I can't let you do this." Concluding with, "I owe you." Sound familiar? Perhaps your responses to gestures of kindness are like mine. I never thought much about the way I responded to the kindness of others until I heard a pastor say, "We are terrible receivers." My spirit had to agree. We are. I am.
The challenge of the devotion was to be a good giver. The challenge of this post is to be a good receiver. When someone does something kind for you, just simply say thank you instead of giving reasons why "they shouldn't have." If it is truly more blessed to give than receive then not accepting the kindness of others without argument is robbing the giver of their blessing. Think about it?
The challenge of the devotion was to be a good giver. The challenge of this post is to be a good receiver. When someone does something kind for you, just simply say thank you instead of giving reasons why "they shouldn't have." If it is truly more blessed to give than receive then not accepting the kindness of others without argument is robbing the giver of their blessing. Think about it?






10 Comments:
Good morning, Wendy. Thanks for a wonderful devotion that really challenges and encourages us! :)
Receiving for me sometimes difficult. When someone does something completely unexpected and just out of love, it is very humbling and a huge blessing. I think we all have to learn to be gracious and sincere receivers.
Blessing to you today!
Sharon
Great word of encouragement! Thanks Wendy...
shalom aleichem Sister!
Your encouragement for today was a sweet reminder of the words spoken to me in my childhood.
My mom would always tell me to say "Thank you" when someone did something for you or gave you a complement.She said by doing this you will be blessing them also.
Blessings,
Tammy
Hey there Wendy, Accepting a real
compliment or a gift or an act of
kindness with grace is a learned
thing. It took me awhile, but now
I can see how most of the time, a
smile and a genuine thank you is really enough. It's simple and
direct and shows appreciation!
We all want to be appreciated,
right?
Thanks for your encouragement!
Yes, I'm here to testify that you CAN'T receive without giving back (lol!). You're the best.
You ALWAYS inspire me!
Love you friend!
Wendy,
As one who has been the receiver for so very long now due to my son's fight with cancer, I LOVE when I have chances to give or do for others instead! I have always LOVED being someone who did things for others. God has had to really humble me in order for me to be the receiver and realize that in receiving I am allowing others to have the "joy of giving!" This probably makes no sense at all. I am just thinking out loud about the reality that in order to give someone has to receive....and there are times in our lives when we have to let others do things for us even when we don't want them to.....in this way we give them the joy of giving. That's where I am at right now..learning to receive with grace and humility when I would much rather be out there giving my time and energy to others. Love you! Thanks for sharing, Wendy!
Tammy
Thanks so much for this today! If we can just accept and say a simple "thank you" then we do allow the giver the joy of blessing us.
Hugs,
Susan
Wow - this is a timely post for me Wendy! I too am a bad receiver (a horrible one, actually). I was just thinking about that during my writing time this morning, and I realized that I think a lot of it for me comes from thinking that I'm not worth the effort or money someone might put into doing something for me. It's a long and messy road that got me to that point, but it's something that I'm working on seeing as a lie!
I was thinking about it this morning because I've been convicted lately about not asking for and receiving all the blessings God has planned for me each day. It just blows my mind that He wants to bless me, and that He believes that I'm worth every bit of His time, attention and love.
Thanks for the challenge today!
In Him,
Sam
Hi Wendy,
Just wanted to let you know that "We Grow" will be beginning another round of "Gather and Grow" Bible studies on September 10th. We will be studying the book, "What A Husband Needs from His Wife," by Melanie Chitwood.
Please let Terri know to expect a book order from me next week. I love that you guys decided to let us use one form to order the resources for the group last year!
Post a Comment
Home