"Bend down, O LORD, and listen! Open your eyes, O LORD, and see!" Isaiah 37:17a
My Take Aways
Something Old:
Oh, wow this is so good! As I was typing in the verse I noticed all the commas. A comma is punctuation mark used to separate thoughts within a sentence. When come upon a comma in a sentence you are supposed to pause. Reread today's key verse aloud pausing in the the appropriate places. Can you hear Hezekiah's plea? He knows where his help is coming from. Oh how I love this Word!
Something New:
When my spirit is weak and feel I can fight the "bad" I can not allow my belief in God: who He is and what He can do be challenged by the logic and reasoning of others, no matter how well intended their counsel may be. I need to take my "bad" to the Lord, spread it out, and pray over it.
Something to Do:
SAP Stop and Pray
- exuberant physical strength or mental vigor
- capacity for survival of for the continuation of a meaningful or purposeful existence
- the power to live or grow






27 Comments:
Hey Wendy,
Day 202!!! Thanks for the definition of SAP and what it means for us. I too loved the story of Hezekiah going to the temple, laying the letter before the Lord and handing his troubles to God.
I have to admit, when I opened the Bible today to our reading, I did a mental groan. I didn't want to read about corrupt kings and war any more! Before I read two sentences though, I had to Stop and Pray. I asked God to forgive me for my attitude. I wanted to be refreshed in His word and I was!
Hezekiah's prayer is full of nuggets, as are Isaiah's prophesies. 2 Kings 19:25, 27 and 31, or Isaiah 37:26, 28 and 32 were places for me to pause today. God planned all this long ago. He sets everything in motion. As Grace and Peace said the other day, not the smallest thing happens with out God in the middle! To the Enemy He says, "But I know you well- where you stay and when you come and go." This is reassuring for me. God has His eye on the Enemy and will fight the battles to glorify His name. I just have to be still and watch; remaining sheltered behind my Rock and my Redeemer!
2 Kings 19:35 or Isaiah 37:36
"That night the angel of the Lord went out to the Assyrian camp and killed 185,00 Assyrian soldiers."
2 Chronicles 32:31 - "And the Lord sent an angel who destroyed the Assyrian army with all its commanders and officers."
God will move; He will be glorified. He will he honored. He will fight the battles for us. We keep reading this, in Exodus, in Joshua, in Judges, in 1 Kings, in 2 Kings, in the Psalms... How many times we need it repeated! I have to ask myself, when will I [Karen] faithfully lay my troubles before the Lord and then sit back and watch Him work? I keep taking my troubles back and trying to solve them in my own strength.
Good thoughts to ponder today.
Travel mercies Wendy! Thank you SO much for recording ahead on top of getting ready for She Speaks! I sit in Awe...
Karen, Basel
Good morning, GIGs,
Dixie, you will be in my thoughts and prayers today as you undergo your breast biopsy. I ditto Jacque's beautiful prayer from last night.
Donna TX, how did your first day go on your new job?
I am officially nominating Jen Ren to keep track of what day it is in our study, whether she posts first or not! How about it, Jennifer Renee?
Kris, thanks for the update on Rebecca, and the glorious visual of her getting to go out to the movies with mom and dad [smile].
Today's nugget for me was along the same line as Wendy's: I noted that Hezekiah, as tired as he was, kept praying.
2 Kings 19:1
"...he tore his clothes and put on burlap and went into the Temple of the Lord.
2 Kings 19:15
"And Hezekiah prayed this prayer before the Lord..."
2 Chronicles 32:20
"The King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz cried out in prayers to God in heaven."
I can't help but think that I'm supposed to share with you all what I stumbled upon yesterday. Again, in the car headed to pick up my dad for a doctor's appointment, I caught part of a Dr. Charles Stanley sermon on "Does Prayer Influence God?" It was so good that when I got home I listened to the whole thing on line, and took lots of notes! Here is the link for anyone who is interested. Each part is 24 minutes. Well worth the time, friends.
Part One of "Does Prayer Influence God?"
http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/audio-archives
Part Two
http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/today-on-radio
Denise continues to improve, and may be home by the end of the week, Praise the Lord.
Have a blessed, 4:8 day, friends.
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
Wendy, I just had to say this morning's lesson was AMAZING! I am passing this on to some friends that are not reading with us but I know need this message. Hope you all are doing well! Still praying for our loved ones, John is so close everyone! His day is coming very soon!
Love,
Brandee
Wendy, my daughter watched with me a bit today, and she loves your lipstick! She also laughed when you called Oprah and Dr. Phil 'media garbage.' We liked that and ended up talking a bit about the quality of TV shows available now. Thanks! :-) I liked today's message, too!
I liked how Hezekiah took the letter to God without even reading it. That was the first place he wanted to go with something that he knew would be tough. Exactly what we should do!
Karen, I liked the verse in Isaiah where God said that He had planned this long ago. It reminded me of Jeremiah 29:11-13. He does plan everything and has a point to it all. Why do we doubt Him and/or expect otherwise?
Michelle, I'm glad that Denise is doing better!
Dixie, praying for you today.
Little side note: I'm reading through Rosenberg's 'Last Jihad' series again so it's fresh in my mind when we read Ezekiel next month. I just finished a part talking about the aquaducts under Jerusalem, and about how and why King Hezekiah built them. It was exciting to read the Biblical account of it and to see a bigger account of it. I need to do more research into these things!
Leaving shortly for VA. Andi's already up, dressed, and claiming to be ready! See you in a few days!
Wendy, can I just say "Amen!?" SAP is truly what we need to do more and more! I had a really big photo shoot yesterday, and I prayed continually. God's peace in the wildness of this wedding was with me. Just wish I had drank more water...slightly dehydrated today after spending hours in the heat and sun yesterday! But the wedding was beautiful!
Michelle, thanks for the link.Dixie, praying for you now!Amy, praying for traveling mercies for you all.Brandee, John continues to be in my prayers!! Karen, thanks for your shared wisdom!
I loved the prayer of Hezekiah! Wendy, my nugget is the same as yours. I love the visual of GOd bending down and listening to our prayers!What a peace that brings to my heart.
Y'all have a wonderful day! I have a hair appointment later and simply cannot wait! Guess it's the little things!!!
Hugs!
Susan
I also underlined 2Kings 10:15 and Isaiah 37:17 Bend down, O lord, and listen! Open Your eyes, O Lord, and see..
Am reading aloud these days and the comma does make me pause. Gives more expression to the reading!
When I rely on the Lord to handle things, He always takes care of them in the best way. Right now I am placing my home into His hands as I realize more and more that I need to be nearer family and doctors in Virginia. He knows the time, season, and person that needs a home this size and I am at complete peace.
Dixie, praying for your biopsy today. May His peace envelope you. May you know His presence with you and bring calmness to your spirit.
Amy, enjoy your VA trip. Traveling mercies today.
Michelle, so happy Denise is better and will soon be discharged.
Now, I will watch Wendy's vlog. Can't wait to hear her teaching.
May be back later. Blessings to all.
Teeny
Good morning all,
Wendy, loved your message today! Only the Holy Spirit could have moved you to look up the definition of "sap"! What a nugget you found for us! That is some good stuff! Thank you!
My nuggets and to do's lined up with yours and those that have posted this morning. I too loved how Isaiah and Hezekiah cried out together in prayer to God (2Chron 32:20) God answers their prayers by sending an angel to destroy the Assyrian army (v.21). Once again we see that Faith + Obedience = Blessing. It took me back to yesterday and Micah 7:7 - "As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me."
Standing firm today in my God and his word...lifting up all prayer concerns to Him, who will certainly hear us!
Have a blessed day,
Leslie
Hi Everybody,
Everyone….Lets join Wendy for that “HIGH FIVE!!” Ready come on everyone all together now “HIGH FIVE!!” Wendy I found myself “HIGH FIVE-ING” you towards my computer screen. The definition you given us for SAP-ing was awesome.
I had underlined the same verses as most of you….Was also curious about Isaiah 37:30.
New American:
Isaiah 37:30 This shall be a sign for you:* this year you shall eat the after growth, next year, what grows of itself; But in the third year, sow and reap plant vineyards and eat their fruit!
Footnote 37:30: You: Hezekiah. A sign: It is difficult to know the nature of this sign. Either it is merely a proverbial expression to signify that prosperity follows adversity, or it indicates that after two years the normal conditions of life will be resumed.
I’ve found this to be the way it has been for me….during my adversities.
Dixie… prayers for you and you will be in my thoughts all day today.
Karen ….You given me lots to think about today.
Hi Brandee…..Nice hearing from you.
One to Ponder:
Be at Peace Today…..
He will either shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at Peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts.
From: Safely Through the Storm
120 reflection on Hope
By:Debra Herbeck
Be at Peace Today,
Rhonda
Wendy,
Great lesson today. Love the readings too.
Dixie,
Echoing Jacque's prayer last night. May you be in perfect peace today. If they allow you to have an ipod, it would help to listen to worship songs before (or during, if you're awake) the procedure. God is with you.
Amy, enjoy your vacation!
By the way, if anyone is interested, I was reading an update from Joni and Friends and she mentioned Global Media Outreach. I heard about them on the Pastor's Perspective last week too. This is perfect for someone who has a heart to be a missionary but is unable to go. Here is a quote from Joni: "I met with the leadership of Global Media Outreach, an on-line ministry of evangelism which, every day, sees hundreds of people visiting their website to express interest in learning about Jesus Christ. GMO is asking Joni and Friends to recruit "on-line missionaries" who will be trained to counsel those who respond to the salvation message and embrace Christ as Lord and Savior. Think of the thousands of disabled people who can serve the Lord from their homes as "on-line missionaries!" I get a lump in my throat just thinking about the possibilities!" Here is the website in case you or someone you know is interested. What a great way to use the internet for God's Kingdom!
http://www.globalmediaoutreach.com/
Loved the readings today. Especially when Hezekiah laid out the letter in front of God. I need to do that. The problem with me is I keep taking it back. If I just leave it at the Lord's feet and wait there will probably be less nagging around my house and my DH and sons would not be saying "Amen" if they ever hear Prov 25:24 "It is better to live in a corner of the roof Than in a house shared with a contentious woman."
I also love the visual of the angel of the Lord defeating the Assyrian army. If we wait patiently for the Lord, He WILL go before us to defeat our enemies. After all, He has the right weapons.
Found this on CS Lewis Daily: "It is a poor thing to come to Him as a last resort, to offer up "our own" when it is no longer worth keeping. If God were proud He would hardly have us on such terms: but He is not proud, He stoops to conquer"
Have a blessed day everyone!
Wow, what a great lesson today! I also highlighted “spread it out before the Lord”. And I had a note in the margin “SAP” I loved the definition that you found, Wendy. That is so good!
I also highlighted Isaiah 37:21 “Because you prayed” Take everything to Him, both the good and the bad. Sometimes when I think everything is going great, I forget to seek God’s will for me.
And 2Kings 19:31b “passionate commitment of the Lord of heaven’s armies will make this happen! “ God is all powerful and faithful to His people.
Praying for all the requests and especially for Dixie today.
Blessings,
linda
Wow, Wendy, this was a great vlog and word from the Lord, today!
Thanks so much for that definition of SAP, truly wonderful.
My nugget for today was found it Isaiah 37:21, where it says "Because you prayed about King Sennacherib..., the Lord has spoken this word against him."
I am so reminded and encouraged about the power of prayer. Because King Hezekiah took this situation directly to the Lord and spread it out before Him, God moved on his behalf.
Such an encouraging, energizing thought to know that our prayers really do mean something, that God hears and He will move on our behalf!
Have a great day everone!
God in only His infinite wisdom knew how meaningful this message today is in my life. Wendy, again your vlog is so powerful.
I love it; Hezekiah took it to the Lord. God gave him what he needed to handle the situation and God gives us, give me, what is needed.
SAP for Dixie, for Denise, for John, for Teeny,
Taking it to the Lord,
Gaylene
My take today for new. the passage was repreated three times
"this year you will eat only what grows up by itself, and next year you will eat what springs up from that. But in the third year you will plant crops and harvest them, you will tend vineyards and eat their fruit." God feed them for 2 years just to remind them everyday that He is in control. That was the living daily proof. So now we can read about it,because we have God,s Word. That is just the best way. Because we can read and re-read how God loves us and wants to show us that He is in charge. And we must not forget it
Having said that.....God was in charge of yesterday, my first day doing the new job. It was so packed that it turned out not to be so good. Here I was making a presentation and I had 6 people watching my back. Not my best side. But we are considering it as our "dress rehearsal" and plowing forward. Thanks for asking Michelle
I agree that Jen Ren should be in charge of the date, and dates to come. Beside I came into the study in the late spring, so I have not been here for all that time. Not because Wendy cannot do this, but because it would be good for Jen Ren.
Enjoyed all the posting today.
Donna - TX
Thank you all for your continued prayers for Michael and for us! We are feeling the fog lift somewhat, and it is good to start to see again. I was trying to cope with all the issues on my plate, and it was getting so depressing. This month I have been there Wendy, as you said today, in the deepest of the deep, and there is no other way-- but to look up.
There is great support from my friend Patty in regards to Michael, which really helps. We got to visit him on Sunday, and he said he is working hard, knowing this whole experience is necessary. We still have to make plans for after-care with a counselor, find a sponsor, and help assimilate him into the AA community here, which will be uncomfortable for him. Your prayers mean so much!
On top of this, the elimination of my job and the tension at work were taxing my coping abilities. The waiting was horrible. I finally was informed about what will happen in the next month, so I can cope better. I need to be still, and ask God what is my next step.
We visited my mom this weekend, and she is improving—it was just great to hug her! She is getting around better since her TIA, and says her breathing is also better with the warm weather—hasn’t used her nebulizer for months, just her inhaler. Donna, I am preparing a blessing book for her on our next trip up (smile). Teeny, I understand the decision about leaving your home, as my mom is in the same place in her life. We only want her safe and happy, if both are possible.
cont...
Just catching up--
Michelle, I have been praying for dear Denise-- I understand the ups and downs of cancer. You are blessed to be close to her for support. My sister was in Scottsdale, so far away from family, and it was really hard.
Jane from SC- I am praying for you and that your son will grow in faith and make good choices in his life
Teeny, praying for continued good health and for daughter Sara’s healing
Dixie, God is with you in your need today
Jessica, you sound so joyful! Your attitude helps me to think positively too! Praying for God’s spirit to inspire you and move you in the right direction
Suzie I am thinking about you, how are Kelly and Ryan doing?
G&P’ praying about your family and your dad's peace
To the Dominican Republic travelers (two of my sons have worked there also), God be with you and stay safe
Donna, you are truly God’s work in action, with your upcoming mission to Turkey
Karen, your posts are so rich, thank you-- how do you have such time with all your travels!
Rhonda, thank you for your encouraging words and three minute retreats. {{Hugs}} --back to you! Congrats on the great race—I can’t even fathom!
Gaylene, for little Mikey, may God provide comfort for him and his family in the wait. I smiled that you were “going to be a barber” for Dillon— I always have cut my kids’ hair (and husband too). Now when they ask, I am thrilled-- to get to stand close and pet their heads and comb their hair, and talk—- mother comfort.
Jan, do you have your internet going now? Is your campground ok?? Love your story about the cross in the flood.
I think about Amy every Sat. at the Farmer’s Mkt— how does your garden grow, girl?
Jodie, still praying for your health, so glad those tough diseases are ruled out, but praying for an answer.
Kristin, good to hear little Rebecca is home and getting to have some fun again
Stephanie, thinking about you and your bedrest, hope you are comfortable in these last weeks— with every passing day, baby is getting stronger!
Franny, I’d love to walk with you on your road, how is Dylan doing?
Often through the day I SAP for all of you, Loice, Morgan, Lori, Anne in VA, Elizabeth, Mary from SW Ohio, Linda, Betty, Jennifer, Susan, Kate, Jennifer Renee, Leslie, Allie and Ryan, Angela, Brandee, and so many that space doesn’t allow. What a wonderful group! A special hello to my little sister Liz, if you are reading this!
2 Chron 32:10-19
I felt the taunting, mocking and ridicule of Hezekiah from the haughty King of Assyria and his officers. They were challenging Hezekiah that his God could never rescue him in such an impossible situation. It brought me to think about Jesus on the cross, and how he was taunted, mocked and ridiculed. The people challenged Him to ask His God to save Him. In both cases they waited, God did His thing, and we know the endings. In my adversity I need to SAP, patiently stand strong, and believe that God is forever in charge.
Blessings to all, have a great day!
Jacque
Most importantly, I forgot to say that I am praying for YOU, Wendy, as you prepare for She Speaks! You give so much of yourself, and you are so loved and appreciated! You and your family are always in my prayers.
Jacque
Little voices....that is the thought that kept popping into my head today as I read. You had the Assyrian soldiers standing outside the city walls taunting God as the messengers asked them not to speak in Hebrew. You had the Assyrian King taunting Hezekiah as Hezekiah stood firm in his faith. I could picture the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other...you know from the cartoons. The reading today made me stop and think what little voices are distracting me from what God would have me do? You know the soldiers on the wall were not at full attention as they were taunted by the Assyrians. I'm sure some were angry, some were probably pondering what was being said. They were probably torn between their duty and listening to those "little voices". Have you ever noticed when you are out somewhere, like a resteraunt, and someone near you is having a conversation. You don't want to listen but sometimes it's hard not to and you become distracted. I think that is one of Satan's greatest tricks...distraction. We start to pick up our Bible and the phone rings, the kids call for us, the dog barks..whatever. We start to pray and thoughts of what we need to do that day flit through our heads.
Today I pray that God gives me the discernment to know when those "little voices" are distractions from my focusing on him.
To be continued
Still praying for Dixie, Michael, Mikey and all the others.
I hope God blesses each of you in a mighty and special way.
Blessings
Jessica
Jacque,
Thank you for the prayer list. It's wonderful feeling knowing we're covered in prayer. Your plate is full. Praise God that your Mom is doing better.
Jekka,
I wanted to send you an e-mail but didn't find your contact info. Would you mind sending me your e-mail address? My contact info is in my blogger profile. I just wanted to share something with you.
G&P--I would LOVE to hear from you. I can't connect to your email right now (I'm at work) but my email is jekkaj1@hotmail.com
I just watched the vlog and OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Wendy is exuberant today and pregnant with the Lord's blessings. I know that sounds totally wierd but she has that glow. You know they say pregnant women glow well Wendy has the Lord Glow. I love it. So thankful she is human like the rest of us and has to pause to let her dog out. LOL
Blessings
Jessica
Wendy,
I love the SAP (Stop and Pray). The thing that spoke most to me today is your key verse Isa. 37:17. For me I heard it in a personal way. God was telling me to "bend down", "listen to HIM" and "open my eyes to see" what He is trying to show me. Verses are so powerful when you personalize them aren't they.
I have been trying to be thankful more these days.
Thanks for challenging me day after day. I so look forword to opening my email each morning and finding your post feed.
Jekka,
Thanks! I sent you an email
I love how you described Wendy. It's true, she is glowing! Although, she will probably hyperventilate when she sees the word "pregnant" (I know I almost did). :D
Hey Jekka, I so appreciate your transparency about trying to pray or read and little voices interfere and get us off track. I have been having trouble with that this week. I do well when I focus and pray for the childrens list, but the SAPing has been frustrating for me this week. Maybe it is satan trying to distract me. Also, I had the same thoughts as you about Wendy today -- absolutely glowing with the Holy Spirit! There's proof of the power of prayer right there!
Peace and Gratitude,
Michelle in New England
This comment has been removed by the author.
Good Afternoon Ladies,
I've been following along in the readngs and comments, but have nothing profound to say, and so I just listen. And write in my journal. You all have such great insight and wisdom, thanks for your contributions.
Jacque, thanks for asking about our son Dylan. We went through a stage of about a month in which the only responses we received from him were grunts. He is not a verbose communicator on the best of days, but he can text up a storm with his friends. Perhaps this was a bout of tennager-itis??
I hesitate to share this, but it is all a part of our situation at present. Earlier this summer he attended a youth retreat with his girlfriend. While she was there, she accepted the Lord. While this should be a time of rejoicing, we have yet to see any evidence of "fruit" in her life. She was reading her bible, but was twisitng the scripture to find loop holes for herself. I find that very repulsive. She does not have church background either, so I do need to offer her grace. A mentor would be ideal for her, but she is a half hour away from the rest of our youth group. I am not the one to mentor her, as she has a strong dislike for me.
And so this is a very confusing time for us. I know God's greatest command to us is to Love one another, but I find it very difficult under these conditions. Ideally, I would like to see them breakup, but my plans are not God's plans. And so I try to rest in that, and Trust Him to work it all out. Anyone been here before?? Any advice?? You can email me privately if you wish: jfwinger@everus.ca
I feel my problems pale in comparison to others requests, but it is a heavy one I am carrying right now. Please pray that eye's of this girls heart (Vikki) would be opened to the Truth of the Word.
Thanks,
Franny
P.S. Dixie, you are in my prayers today as well. My SIL just underwent the same process, and it is all very fresh to us. Praying for a good outcome.
I really wish I had watched the vlog earlier today. I've been depressed all day. I've been depressed all week. I feel physically and emotionally weak. I know one female reason, smile. I don't even have the desire or physical strength to go to church this week for VBS. I feel like going to bed and crying. I want to hurt myself. My pastor teaches the adults.
Wendy, I love your key verse for today and somehow I missed it when I read.
"Bend down, O LORD, and listen! Open your eyes, O LORD, and see!" Isaiah 37:17a
Dear Friends!
The procedure is over and I now await 5 days (at least) for the results. I had made it in my mind, such a dreaded and painful thing. No way! Not really uncomfortable during the process and just a little sore now. So tomorrow, I go and sing and dance a little with my special friends at Special Populations.
Jen-Ree - Do you remember instructions if you catch on fire? Stop, drop and roll....Well having life long experience with depression - I made up a mental STOP sign and force myself to flash it when those self defeating thoughts come. Since this study, I can now add the drop part - drop on my knees and pray. Those are distorted things you think - like a radio tuned in between stations, everything fuzzy. And I know who is behind those distorted thoughts! Don't give in to them! You are supported on here with some mighty prayer warriors - you have witnessed what they have accomplished and you are spiritually surrounded...God apparently has blessed you with a wonderful voice and a love of music. Let loose - I expect to hear you in Florida!!!!!!
Love, hugs and prayers to all of you with my big thank you. Keep on, keeping on and hey, don't forget to push for those outer limits in case you have forgotten!
Dixie in Florida
Post a Comment
Home